If I were buying this device and was interested in flash that RIM is supposedly going to support in the upcoming months, then I would be a bit concerned about the mid-range processor. However, maybe it will all work out just fine.
    08-03-10 02:05 PM
    I'm just fine with it in the interest of battery life. I've used 1ghz Android's & the batt life really leaves something to be desired. If RIM designed an efficient processor which is what they specialize in (efficiency), then I think we'll be just fine.
    08-03-10 02:31 PM
    R U F'n Kidding me..??? Just looking at raw numbers is like just looking at muscles.. Yea other phone running at 1GHz + But is it using it efficiently? That what it comes down to. Just cuz it has a higher number doesnt mean its better.. It comes down to the OS and how the OC uses the hardware. Higher processor speed also means shorter battery life.. there are trade offs.

The dude that wrote this thread must be like the dude that goes to the a car race and goes whats under the hood. Holy Crap.
    08-03-10 02:32 PM
    R U F'n Kidding me..??? Just looking at raw numbers is like just looking at muscles.. Yea other phone running at 1GHz + But is it using it efficiently? That what it comes down to. Just cuz it has a higher number doesnt mean its better.. It comes down to the OS and how the OC uses the hardware. Higher processor speed also means shorter battery life.. there are trade offs.

The dude that wrote this thread must be like the dude that goes to the a car race and goes whats under the hood. Holy Crap.
    Bingo!
    08-03-10 02:39 PM
    How about we ALL wait and see some SOFTWARE benchmark tests. That is the only way we will know for sure. The "speed" of processors are only reliable if they are in the SAME family. Plus the iPhone and Android devices are made for different applications than a Blackberry, so while the others may have "faster" processors, they NEED that for what they were/are DESIGNED to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 02:47 PM
    This is like comparing cars based solely on their horsepower rating. There's a lot of other factors involved to move it down the road.
    08-03-10 02:48 PM
    But a valid point - 624 might be just fine to run it, but if they have faster technology available, why not put in the latest and greatest processor they can? Any why only 512MB? I'd much rather have 2-4GB memory for the OS than 4GB on-device storage. I don't think I've ever used more than a couple megs for on-device.
    08-03-10 02:54 PM
    If the number is higher, it must be better, right? Higher megapixels, higher clock speed, higher resolution, higher screen dimensions, all contribute to a good experience for texting and making phone calls, no?

08-03-10 03:05 PM
    But a valid point - 624 might be just fine to run it, but if they have faster technology available, why not put in the latest and greatest processor they can? Any why only 512MB? I'd much rather have 2-4GB memory for the OS than 4GB on-device storage. I don't think I've ever used more than a couple megs for on-device.
    Is there a smart phone out that uses 2-4GB of memory just for the OS?
    08-03-10 03:12 PM
    Engadget has a video of them using a "display" model... Didn't seem to be very snappy and responsive it that video. Looked like they were trying to use my STORM running OS4 .75. Lot of freeze ups... and slow displays.
    08-03-10 03:18 PM
    Is there a smart phone out that uses 2-4GB of memory just for the OS?
    No, but wouldn't it be great to say the Torch would be capable of running anything that comes out within 2 years? Just 2 years ago I had a brand new 8830 with a whopping 96MB and now 512MB is the minimum for a new device. Kind of how people that bought a 9700 with 256MB may never see 6, and that device isn't a year old yet. Why just make things good enough for current needs? BB is just catching up to most with this device, but will soon be behind again. It stinks because I love the messaging and phone capabilities, but even my 1 month old Bold 9650 still lags when downloading/installing an app, launching a big app like MLB or doing anything else that requires just a little bit of horsepower.

A flagship device should be one people will feel confident will work for two years and still be able to run current software. This thing will be obsolete in 9 months.
    08-03-10 03:19 PM
    If the number is higher, it must be better, right? Higher megapixels, higher clock speed, higher resolution, higher screen dimensions, all contribute to a good experience for texting and making phone calls, no?
    My point exactly.........The other devices are all gumball multi-media devices where all that "extra power" is NEEDED. I personally use my BB as a PHONE, EMAIL, and MESSAGING device.

"Convergence" is nice, but look at the size of some of these Android devices. We are now having mini-laptop sized phones that suck power like a V-8.

We went from ciderblocks, to bricks, to cigarette box, to fun-sized candy-bar. Now we are going back to slim bricks.
    08-03-10 04:07 PM
    No, but wouldn't it be great to say the Torch would be capable of running anything that comes out within 2 years? Just 2 years ago I had a brand new 8830 with a whopping 96MB and now 512MB is the minimum for a new device. Kind of how people that bought a 9700 with 256MB may never see 6, and that device isn't a year old yet. Why just make things good enough for current needs? BB is just catching up to most with this device, but will soon be behind again. It stinks because I love the messaging and phone capabilities, but even my 1 month old Bold 9650 still lags when downloading/installing an app, launching a big app like MLB or doing anything else that requires just a little bit of horsepower.

A flagship device should be one people will feel confident will work for two years and still be able to run current software. This thing will be obsolete in 9 months.
    9 months? this thing is obsolete before it hits the display rack.
    08-03-10 04:12 PM

5.0 does just that. Why does RIM bother to make a 6.0?
    08-03-10 04:20 PM
    My point exactly.........The other devices are all gumball multi-media devices where all that "extra power" is NEEDED. I personally use my BB as a PHONE, EMAIL, and MESSAGING device.

"Convergence" is nice, but look at the size of some of these Android devices. We are now having mini-laptop sized phones that suck power like a V-8.

We went from ciderblocks, to bricks, to cigarette box, to fun-sized candy-bar. Now we are going back to slim bricks.
    Quoted for truth.

Would it be nice if the specs were better? yeah..but I won't lose any sleep. My phone is essentially a communications tool. I text and bbm people more then anything. Then read emails, update facebook and twitter. Occasionally I check scores, or look up things on poynt.

I take a picture once in a blue moon, have never made a video, nor really look at any of that stuff on my phone. That's what my computer is for.

If you wanna do that kind of thing on a phone, that's your prerogative, but maybe BB never was or will be your best option.
    08-03-10 04:34 PM
    I just used one at the announcement here in NYC and it is far from SLOW.
    When you used the phone after the person infront of you used it... did you close the apps and browser tabs they opened?
    08-03-10 04:37 PM

i agree with you BUT going by the hands on from multiple tech sites, doesnt seem to efficient but hey ill still give it a go. i wouldnt knock the thread starter that much.
    08-03-10 05:03 PM
    Is it me, or does this phone seems kind of sluggish?

I remember when the first videos came out they said: "this is not the finish product". Well, the finish product did arrive and still looks sluggish.

I agree, numbers dont mean anything, but come on RIM.
    People are saying, well they left too many apps open. Yeah, that excuse is not gonna cut it.

For now I will remain calm, my 9700 is doing the job and will check it out for myself when it comes out next week.
    08-03-10 05:12 PM
    I just saw the hands on video, 624MHz might be a problem once you start installing some apps.

Still seemed slow considering me being a Pearl Flip user that uses a 312MHz x86 puke CPU.
    Last edited by sookster54; 08-03-10 at 05:16 PM.
    08-03-10 05:14 PM
    a simple equation...

624mhz+1300ma battery = x hours of usage
    1000mhz+1300ma battery = y hours of usage..

x > y .. by a long stretch!

Id rather my BB worked for my whole business day, doing everything i want to do on it, than have to keep searching for a power outlet every couple of hours, or carry a phone the size of a brick around.
    08-03-10 05:18 PM
    i just watched the cnet review, and im waiting for the cb kevin review to load, but it looks like it does lag.
    08-03-10 05:33 PM
    That 10:1 ratio wouldn't have anything to do with how the device is actually used would it? It's disingenuous, at best, to try and claim that bb's are 10 times more efficient than iphones.
    I can assure you I use my Blackberry at a 10:1 ratio than my friend uses his iPhone lol

But 624Mhz is sad. even if we don't require it. I'd like to have at least a bit of bragging rights...
    08-03-10 06:06 PM

If you watch CBKevins video, you can see he is experiencing lag when he scrolls.

If you cannot smoothly Navigate, you hit a problem.
    And really. 1300mah battery? You can do, No you Have done better. Step it up a notch with your CDMA Variant for us please
    08-03-10 06:20 PM
    Just an amusing observation......
    I was at a VZ store yesterday to buy a battery and there was a professional looking fellow in there buying some new accessories for his new droid x. From his conversation with the rep, it seems that he has had his phone a couple of weeks.
    He gets a call.
    He fumbles with the phone.
    He misses said call.
    Says it was just his wife and can call her back.
    A discussion ensues with the tech about how clunky the PHONE feature is. (the tech also rocks a droid)

Just sayin.

08-03-10 06:23 PM
    sigh.....i understand what the op means. 624mghz is sad, especially when some competitors are switching to dual core phones soon. hope it does not affect the browser when i have multiple tabs open
    Interesting....perhaps we need to walk up to someone with one and ask, "Hey, does that thing have a hemi in it?"

I could not tell you what processor speed any blackberry I have owned has. The only reason I know what the 9800 has is because of all the people pointing out what it does not have. I withhold my opinion on clock speed until I can play with one in person.

It reminds of of the ford engine issue a few years back. Ford made a V6 that produced more horsepower and torque than the the V8 and had better gas mileage, but all the fan boys demanded a V8 because...well it was a V8 and they didn't want a V6. Go figure.
    08-03-10 06:29 PM
310 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD