Hi all - well after 4-5 days of being on .450 all I can say is it's pretty ok.

Battery life - the biggest improvement by far.

Took the charger out of the phone 11pm Sunday eve and it's now 4pm Wednesday - I make that what 65 hours - I'm now putting it on charge at 20%.

Normal bluetooth usage in the car - 70-130 mile round trips, been abroad f mon and tues using wifi in the hotel, music on the plane and texts/emails elsewhere (not many calls), some browsing (wifi) and facebook (orange network when back in uk).

I'm impressed.

One question though - had phone switched to wifi only, turned mobile network off, data services on (but off whilst roaming) and network preference set to wifi only when in the hotel - how come then I was receiving texts and the phone rang whilst in the hotel????

The phone had orange-<hotel wifi> at the top and UMA top right hand corner. Can anyone help fill the gap in my knowledge please?

oh and -120db signal!!!! sure max I saw before patch was -96db

ta
    02-02-11 10:10 AM
    UMA - Unlicensed Mobile Access ... hands over mobile service to UMA location and routes calls, texts and bbm through it over wifi.

Rogers offers it here in Canada for the Torch, Telus does not have it yet. From what I have heard from a Rogers user is that a call started on UMA can be handed over to GSM and remains as a free call but a call started on GSM will not hand over to UMA.
    blockbuy likes this.
    02-02-11 10:19 AM
    cheers - so I could have answered and made calls for free???
    I'll rememeber than next time
    02-02-11 10:29 AM
    I assume your phone was off 57 of those 65 hours! just kidding, how many hours did you use to get before the upgrade?

I barely get 15 hours on regular days.
    02-02-11 11:30 AM
    Rogers supports UMA? Really? Do I need to call them about it? Or is it simply allowed by default?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 11:42 AM
    I assume your phone was off 57 of those 65 hours! just kidding, how many hours did you use to get before the upgrade?

I barely get 15 hours on regular days.
    No 2 users will get the same battery life. As a business user my phone stays on the whole day if i am not physically using it its actively receiving emails, I have days where by the end of work the battery will be completely dead and I'll have to charge it when i get home...other days the battery stays good through the night, it all depends on how much use u had in the day and how u used it. Guaranteed for 65hours battery life the phone isn't being used 1/4 of what myself and others i am sure are using it (mine stays actively used throughout the day inc. 3g surfing as well as music a2dp in the car while i drive).
    02-02-11 12:02 PM
    Rogers supports UMA? Really? Do I need to call them about it? Or is it simply allowed by default?
    The guy I know is running .246 and it just switches to say UMA instead of 3G according to him when he is around a wifi connection that he can connect to.
    02-02-11 12:49 PM
    UMA - Unlicensed Mobile Access ... hands over mobile service to UMA location and routes calls, texts and bbm through it over wifi.

Rogers offers it here in Canada for the Torch, Telus does not have it yet. From what I have heard from a Rogers user is that a call started on UMA can be handed over to GSM and remains as a free call but a call started on GSM will not hand over to UMA.
    It does hand over to UMA by the way, but you need a perfect wifi with the beacon to 50 and Threshold to 2304 with no lag (took a while for us to make it work).

UMA is the greatest thing for business that have no cell coverage in their building
    02-02-11 12:54 PM
    On all the time apart from 2 90 min flights. Facebook, linkin updates automatically using the British Airways app on all time in airport for boardin pass,- 200 plus emails - 50 txts - 30 mins phone - etc.
    Was gettin around 2 days before patch.

Regardless of exact numbers it is an improvement imo

02-02-11 01:22 PM

It has to be part of you plan first (Unlimited wifi calling) its included in the $40 and $50 Rogers student bb data plans or you can add it as an add-on. Free calling over UMA which is when you are connected to wifi (notice the Unlimited)

02-02-11 01:27 PM
    cheers - so I could have answered and made calls for free???
    I'll rememeber than next time
    UMA calls are not free on Orange, you pay the same cost as if the call was made on GSM. It's useful when you have poor GSM coverage at home or work and can connect to WiFi but you pay.
    02-02-11 01:42 PM
    UMA calls are not free on Orange, you pay the same cost as if the call was made on GSM. It's useful when you have poor GSM coverage at home or work and can connect to WiFi but you pay.
    I agree with that, but as I guess we can use it to make calls at local rate when we r out of the country
    02-02-11 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD