Sal,

Given the training slide for the alleged soon to be coming Storm 3 that suggests it will support mobile hotspot functionality, can you ask your source if there is any evidence of this functionality in the latest build of OS6 on the 9800?

Thanks...
    07-20-10 03:49 AM
    that would be awesome! something to ask in the official sal thread?
    07-20-10 06:19 AM
    Sal,

Given the training slide for the alleged soon to be coming Storm 3 that suggests it will support mobile hotspot functionality, can you ask your source if there is any evidence of this functionality in the latest build of OS6 on the 9800?

Thanks...
    OK....I'm feeling pretty noobish here but....what is 3G mobile hot sopt????
    07-20-10 07:32 AM
    It means the phone can act like a wireless router allowing other devices (like a laptop, an iPad, etc.) to connect to the internet via the phone's data service.
    07-20-10 07:38 AM
    This is a discription of Verizons Mi-Fi. But the tech is basically the same:

"How does a mobile hotspot work?
    Essentially take a cellular mobile broadband modem that you would normally plug into your computer (using a PC Card or USB modem), unplug it, and put a battery inside so that you don't have to get power from your computer. Now take that standalone device and add Wi-Fi technology to it. Now you can connect your computer to the mobile Mi-Fi hotspot using your computer's Wi-Fi technology!

How many computers can connect to a MiFi mobile broadband device?
    Typically five computers can connect to a Mi-Fi device at the same time. In fact, it doesn't have to be a computer/laptop. It can be any Wi-Fi enabled device such as a cell phone, Apple iTouch, etc. Why five devices? Well, it's most likely to do with capacity. By capacity I mean that the more devices you have connecting to the same Internet connection (in this case a MiFi device), the slower the connection will become. For most people just surfing the Web and checking email, you won't likely notice any affect on speed when five devices are connected. Could you connect to more? Probably! Would you notice a difference in speed with 10 devices? Maybe, maybe not, but five is the current standard. I expect that at some point there may be ways to increase that number.

Also, keep in mind that wireless carriers also have to consider the cost impact. In theory, you could have five people in a small office sharing the device for Internet access. Before MiFi, they would have to buy five modems and five plans, whereas now they only have to buy one device and one plan! So if wireless carriers allowed 10 or 20 people to connect at the same time, not only would the user experience start to deteriorate (i.e. slow connection speed), but they would lose a lot of money!"
    07-20-10 07:42 AM
    It means the phone can act like a wireless router allowing other devices (like a laptop, an iPad, etc.) to connect to the internet via the phone's data service.
    Ahhh....gotcha. That, indeed would be a pretty cool feature.
    Saw a guy do this with an iPhone w/a hijacked app. Long story, but it saved my azz during a rain-out of a tennis tournament I was running. I was able to update the national website w/out running back to my house for wifi. If I thought I would have needed it, I would have had Tether installed but......
    07-20-10 08:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD