I'm working on my first theme and I have a couple of questions. I changed all the text colors and now when I type in the password to unlock the phone it just shows black boxes instead of the letters or numbers. I was hoping someone might know which one controls that without having to change one at a time.

Also I edited the battery icon and now I have a big white box around the battery. How do you hide the part of an icon you don't want to show?

Finally I installed the JDE 4.5 but still the simulator doesn't work to test 4.5 themes. Any ideas? Thanks for any and all advice on this problems.

Zannor
    09-21-08 10:06 PM
    Okay, since I am also working on my first theme I can only answer your question number 2 about the battery as I made my own battery as well. If you are using photoshop then when you are doing each part of the battery, I reckon there are 9 different stages, do each of the 9 in a different file a.k.a. their own file. Then trim off the edges so you know if you missed any pixels that you forgot to erase. After take those 9 files and put it into a master file that you will put into Plazmic (you are using Plazmic right?) so it can be your battery meter. Make it divisible by 9 and make sure all your 9 icons are evenly spread apart, I didn't the first try and it was moving around the area and places were being cut off but I fixed it. But when you save the file THIS IS THE BIG ONE... you just MERGE VISIBLE AND DO NOT REPEAT: DO NOT FLATTEN IMAGE or that will give you a white background around your image and that is why you have that problem, most likely that is how you exported your .PNG file with the flattened image. Hope that resolved 1/3 of your issues, maybe other people can help you with the rest, I am not that far on mine I am still working on the battery, that part I was talking about before was the signal meter so those references to 9 and divide by 9 ignore that for the battery and use it for the signal. For step by sep instructions go here it's helpful and that's what I used.
    09-22-08 11:00 AM
    I tried to follow what you said to do in photoshop but I think the program is a bit over my head.

Here is what I'm trying to do. I have trouble telling the difference of the levels on the battery icon. So, I'm trying to edit the stock battery level icon by adding simple numbers so that at each level change it will display the percentage ie. 10%, 20%. I was able to draw them in easily in Paint but afterwards I'm left with a big white box around the battery. I can open the file in photoshop but can't seem to find a way to just change the color of pixels one at a time without photoshop wanting to effect surrounding pixels. I tried changing all sorts of settings with little luck.

If anyone knows a simple way to do what I'm describing it would be most helpful.
    09-25-08 06:25 PM
    I needed some help as well, I have the Plazmic Theme Builder 4.5 on my computer and made my theme. I tried exporting it as a JAD directly to my device and into the my files folder; it downloaded it fine, and shows up in my app list but I can't set it as the theme (and I did a battery pull in between) so then I tried exporting it as an ALX to a random file on my computer then used Blackberry Desktop Manager to move it over and it gave me the error "No Additional Applications Designed for You Device Were Found" so... if anyone could help I'd REALLY appreciate it!
    09-25-08 08:26 PM
    Still seaching for an answer to my problem. Photoshop is very confusing. Might there be a simpler program someone knows of to edit battery icons?

While looking on the web I found some screenshots of some unknown version of photoshop that showed a pencil tool that was described as doing what I'm trying to do. I just want to change the color of one pixel at a time. The version I have is photoshop CS 8 and it doesn't appear to have this pencil tool.
    Last edited by Zannor; 09-29-08 at 12:58 AM.
    09-29-08 12:44 AM
    Zannor have you tried using GIMP? It's a free editing software...and you can make the pencil small down to a pixel. It's free and fairly early to use

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-08 06:42 AM
    Jaklyn, make sure you are exporting to the correct OS version (4.2,4.3,4.5) and also if it's a "custom" style theme you need the Deminsion Today. Zen, and Icon themes installed on your device.

As far as the "no applications" screen your getting on DM is because there isn't a update on that theme so it doesn't need to install it. Or like I said earlier you exported it for a higher OS than what you have

09-29-08 06:45 AM
    Zannor have you tried using GIMP? It's a free editing software...and you can make the pencil small down to a pixel. It's free and fairly early to use
    I just downloaded Gimp and noticed when I opened the battery icon that the background was still hidden. Best of all it is allowing me to change just one pixel at a time. I have to finish editing it but this look very promising. Thank you so much for telling me about this program. Now I can enjoy creating my own icons and things for my themes.

Zannor
    09-29-08 09:21 AM
    No problem, I prefer GIMP over Photoshop...it's easier for me at least

09-29-08 09:29 AM
    One question about Gimp. I see that scale will change the quality but how can I change the image if all I want to do is have it display bigger or smaller? everything I have tried just makes it sharper or blurry.

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. When I had an area 48x36 I had the image all the way to the edge. I was confused because if I made the area 24x18 the image still showed up the same. Once I backed the image off of the max area by a few pixels it got smaller.
    Last edited by Zannor; 10-01-08 at 12:09 PM.
    09-30-08 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD