06-23-09 03:51 AM
47 12
tools
    While I very much appreciate those who do share their .thm files, I completely understand why not everyone does. I've spent 4 days making a theme, tweaking it little by little and it was a lot of work. Yah it still sucks, but a lot of effort went into the suckiness that is my theme. I can only imagine how much work people put into good themes.
    01-27-09 09:02 PM
    While I very much appreciate those who do share their .thm files, I completely understand why not everyone does. I've spent 4 days making a theme, tweaking it little by little and it was a lot of work. Yah it still sucks, but a lot of effort went into the suckiness that is my theme. I can only imagine how much work people put into good themes.
    Yea seriously, It took me 2 days to make my first theme but if it hadn't have been for SteveninSTL I wouldn't have made the effort in the first place. Since he was nice enough to modify a theme for me. I've made 6 themes so far using gimp for the graphics. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make buttons, tab focus and menu backgrounds with the borders that I've seen on some themes.

Oh well...
    01-27-09 09:08 PM
    SteveninSTL has helped me as well and was patient with some pretty dumb questions. I also appreciated the .thm files he posted, it showed me where I was going wrong. Buttons and focus I can stumble through thanks to GIMP and PIXsizer, but borders? ouch... I wouldn't even know where to begin. My issue is trying to figure out if it's possible to change an icon in the banner but not have it changed in the icons screen...
    01-27-09 09:21 PM
    Yea seriously, It took me 2 days to make my first theme but if it hadn't have been for SteveninSTL I wouldn't have made the effort in the first place. Since he was nice enough to modify a theme for me. I've made 6 themes so far using gimp for the graphics. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make buttons, tab focus and menu backgrounds with the borders that I've seen on some themes.

Oh well...

Thanks for the comments....and shhhh don't be telling people I modified a theme for you...LOL..

I'll post a few buttons, dialog boxes and such in the coming days...be looking at the developer's area on PimpMyBerry
    01-28-09 12:37 AM
    SteveninSTL has helped me as well and was patient with some pretty dumb questions. I also appreciated the .thm files he posted, it showed me where I was going wrong. Buttons and focus I can stumble through thanks to GIMP and PIXsizer, but borders? ouch... I wouldn't even know where to begin. My issue is trying to figure out if it's possible to change an icon in the banner but not have it changed in the icons screen...
    Hey that's a good question...but I don't think that's possible since there is only one location where you can switch out icons...But that would be neat...
    01-28-09 07:53 PM
    Thanks for the comments....and shhhh don't be telling people I modified a theme for you...LOL..

I'll post a few buttons, dialog boxes and such in the coming days...be looking at the developer's area on PimpMyBerry
    I never said you modified a theme for me did I? I'm getting old. STEVEN never modified a theme for me! I did it in my sleep and forgot about it

Where were those .thm files you posted? I only saw the icons. Thanks for posting so many but I guess you made them to where you can't resize them...When I tried, they look distorted...

::Sigh::

Its time for my nap.
    01-28-09 07:56 PM
    unfortunately the ones that were posted were sized so many different times and by different programs....which set were you looking to change?
    01-29-09 12:44 AM
    oh..and the .thm files are in the developer's section...
    01-29-09 12:50 AM
    right, well... what's the bother in posting a thm for a free download? if somebody wants to change a few icons without the hassle of creating their own sourcecode, who cares? you want credit? ask.... it seems like it's been given repeatedly on most of the themes posted. you want a couple bucks because "only you" are cool enough to make changes? :P long live open source.
    02-25-09 03:50 PM
    It has nothing to do with making a few bucks... The point is, that I could spend days making something 'just right', then if I posted the .thm file, someone could go in, make a couple changes, and then post the exported theme as their own work, when it really isn't. Whether or not we are selling them is irrelevant...
    02-25-09 06:23 PM
    i think the simple is answer is because they don't want to.
    some developers like creating content and disturbing the source for others to modify/improve, others don't. if your selling your themes, giving the source away in my opinion is pretty dumb. if your themes are free, then i think that the open source mentality can only help improve your content. just my 2 cents..
    02-25-09 06:54 PM
    if your themes are free, then i think that the open source mentality can only help improve your content. just my 2 cents..
    ...or completely mess up your theme making it look like a freak show!

I will give out the .thm files (and graphics) though, to people who have donated for me to do custom work for them. In that case I consider the theme theirs, not mine.
    02-26-09 12:00 AM
    Probably because there's not a Forum for every type of "theme developer"
    Ideally you'd have the
    Themes that are free for use with thm files
    Themes that are free for use with NO thm files and no aftermarket contract mods
    Themes that are free for use with NO thm files and with priced availability for mods
    Themes that are priced
    etc etc etc

But there's just 1 bucket, so it's only natural for someone to ponder why is it so.
    Personally I found this thread greatly helpful as now I understand who's wishes to protect their design property so I would know not to bother asking for it. At the same time there are also great links to the people who look at it from the other side and offer their ideas in the hopes to foster new development. Either way the ideas are out there. Providing no one gets short with anyone when a question is asked from the bottom rung it's a great community.
    02-26-09 02:51 AM
    Well, I do appreciate the free themes and even the ones that cost. I've spent about $50 on themes since I purchased my bb 7 months ago. I've been learning Photoshop and looking to venture into theme building. Like others have said, its hard to come by a .thm file, unless someone is being really generous. I'm not looking for freebies or to mooch off someone elses efforts.

I am merely looking for a half decent tutorial on how to find, edit and import bold/curve 8900 icons. I'm looking to change their colors as many others have done. The icons available in Plazmic 4.6 are not the correct sizing for the 320x240 as they seem a bit smaller.
    03-15-09 11:58 AM
    Plazmic 4.6 does have Bold Icons in the 80x80 format. Look under Samples...
    03-15-09 10:53 PM
    The 2 themes I have created, thnks to a guy named nicklc I think, all have or will have the thm files available, you can check my sig for links/dl

My urban abstract will have the thm files uploaded at a later time, but will be posted at some point soonish

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 12:53 PM
    see.. i would love to have the theme files of the ones that i love, but my OCD just wont let me use for some stupid reason. font size, type, but that i love the hs icons on. i end up not using them, or recreating them... i would LOVE to have the theme files, but i wouldn't repost the theme file (at all) OR the alx/jad file WITHOUT permission, i have copied one by max on here. mainly the home screen icons, but i STILL asked him before i posted it, and i made a theme for someone that pretty much copied another bc it didn't come in the phone he needed. BUT i stressed that this was too much of a copy to post in the forum so i emailed it.

i understand, but it sucks :/
    03-18-09 11:49 PM
    StevenInSTL - I just want to say thanks for the awesome icons you post @ PMP

Someday I will get off my **** and make my own purty-ful ones XD
    03-19-09 12:09 AM
    I can see both sides of this one...Having been a noobie, and not really understanding some thing as well as I could, I asked some questions of people, and a couple sent me a .thm file to play with. It wasn't a finished theme that they sent, it was a framework that had incorporated the ideas I was struggling with back when I started toying with plazmic when I had my curve.

Once I had a chance to see it, and toy with it, it made a lot more sense, and it was a huge help in being able to make my own stuff.

If you spent a week making something, and don't want anyone to have it without giving you credit, I completely understand that. I completely understand not wanting to post a finished theme, but the occasional .thm breadcrumb from something that you're not working on anymore might really help some of the new people.
    03-24-09 04:38 PM
    I can see both sides of this one...Having been a noobie, and not really understanding some thing as well as I could, I asked some questions of people, and a couple sent me a .thm file to play with. It wasn't a finished theme that they sent, it was a framework that had incorporated the ideas I was struggling with back when I started toying with plazmic when I had my curve.
    That's the difference though. Most people aren't asking for a "half-made attempt at theme". They want a theme with the features they want implemented in source... i.e. "I want your theme, I just want to change thing X".

If you give them a very small sample, they will come back with "it doesn't have this, this and this already done".
    03-24-09 06:30 PM
    ...or completely mess up your theme making it look like a freak show!

I will give out the .thm files (and graphics) though, to people who have donated for me to do custom work for them. In that case I consider the theme theirs, not mine.
    *smiles* I have seen people start out making "freak show" work but give them a few months and you will see nothing but Legendary work from them. Ironically we all start by creating "freak show" looking themes but we get better down the road. Practicing will result to nearly if not perfect work.
    03-24-09 06:39 PM
    I hope your .thm freezes off. hahah
    06-23-09 03:51 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD