I've downloaded a few themes, but I have never tried to create any. I see mention of different styles of themes. I know what Today themes and hidden today themes are. L shaped is also self-explanatory.

What exactly is Precision Zen? I did a search and saw lots of actual Precision Zen themes, but I cannot tell what exactly they are just by looking at the screenshots. I did not see another thread that explains what a Precision Zen theme is.
    10-31-09 12:48 AM
    //
    IMO, the Zen is like the dock or horizontal zen.. Just differs from the Dimension with old icons, we have the Precision with more precised icons..
    AFIK, RIM has cut off the Zen or L in the future OS theme.. They just put a Today theme, which is know Precision Zen theme as we all know in almost themes.

This is Precision Zen, aka Today Zen (just my guess so)
    10-31-09 02:21 AM
    Thanks. This might sound stupid, but what is a Dimension theme? How do those icons differ from Zen?

Will today themes be the only type that will work on 5.0 OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 02:34 AM
    I read something about this on RIMs website, but for all I care it has mostly to do with background and icons. Dimension icons are little colorful drawings (likely drawn with black lines) that render well in a white background. Precision icons are edgy white line drawings with curved corners some simple color accent and white glow that rended well in a black background (and may become invisible on a white one). 81xx and 83xx themes are based of the dimension theme. Themes on newer devices are based on the precision theme.

Today themes are themes that show a list of recent items on the home screen for some apps such as messages or calendar. They will not be a unique choice, but they are popular for their practicality.

Last edited by graciliano; 10-31-09 at 09:33 AM.
    10-31-09 09:12 AM
    I read something about this on RIMs website, but for all I care it has mostly to do with background and icons. Dimension icons are little colorful drawings (likely drawn with black lines) that render well in a white background. Precision icons are edgy white line drawings with curved corners some simple color accent and white glow that rended well in a black background (and may become invisible on a white one). 81xx and 83xx themes are based of the dimension theme. Themes on newer devices are based on the precision theme.

Today themes are themes that show a list of recent items on the home screen for some apps such as messages or calendar. They will not be a unique choice, but they are popular for their practicality.

Ok. I think I understand now. So basically, either Dimension and Precision themes can be customized by a theme designer with his/her own icons, but the Blackberry user who wants to download the custom theme needs to have the stock theme installed to be able to use the custom theme.
    10-31-09 12:21 PM
    You don't have to have the stock theme installed to download another theme

Dimension and precison zen are just terms used to describe the icons used in the standard themes on certain devices

Dimension are the old ones on pearl and curve 8300
    Precision zen icons are on the 8900, 8520, 8220, 9000, 95xx and 9700

Theme developers can add any kind of icon to any kind of theme to make it look different

11-05-09 10:28 PM
    You don't have to have the stock theme installed to download another theme
    You DO need to have the stock theme installed in order to use a custom theme. To download, no ... but to use the theme you downloaded, most definitely.
    11-06-09 08:48 AM
    Theme developers do create their themes by modifying the default theme. It is the starting template. But with the current tool from RIM, almost every style element can be changed except for the GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, and roaming indicator icons (I may miss something). However, some applications may use default elements and disregard the selected theme, e.g., the background for the profile selection, for swiching applications, and for some other menus will be as from the default (stock) theme. But I cannot say that they use the resource from the default theme file.

Last edited by graciliano; 11-06-09 at 10:03 AM.
    11-06-09 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD