I am having a problem with wallpapers on my Curve 8330.

Whether I size an image at 320 x 240 in photoshop or use Wallpaper Maker, once it arrives on my phone it stretches the image vertically so any objects appear to be thinner than they actually are. I also tried using the regular image size but it does the same thing.

Any pointers are appreciated.
    08-19-08 04:33 PM
    Make sure that you aren't reversing the dimensions. It sounds like you may be putting the vertical dimension in the horizontal the horizontal in the vertical.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 12:35 AM
    Make sure that you aren't reversing the dimensions. It sounds like you may be putting the vertical dimension in the horizontal the horizontal in the vertical.

Thanks, checked that but I am using 320 width by 240 height and still same problem, happens on all images.
    08-20-08 12:55 AM
    Are you also using the setting to preserve aspect ratio when you resize the original image? That's the only other thing I can think of that would distort the image.

08-20-08 02:07 AM
    I tried it now with Keep Aspect Ratio unselected and it doesnt make a difference. Its the same whether it is an image I make or even one of the shared wallpapers.

I wonder if theres a setting on my phone.

A side note, any pictures I take with the camera are fine, its just ones I add to the phone. So if I use the background with a person for example they look like a twig.
    08-20-08 02:17 PM
    Perhaps the theme being used is causing it? I have used many custom made backgrounds on mine and don't get any distortion. I've not use many themes though only one preloaded and 2 custom themes. But I like the backgrounds on the custom themes so I haven't changed them.

08-20-08 10:50 PM
    How are you putting it on your BB? Are you using Media Manager to put it on? If so, tell it not to convert it when you do. Bet you that's your problem. I make my own wallpapers all the time and never have these kinds of issues. As long as the dimentions are right and the pic looks correct on the PC, it'll look the same on the BB.
    08-20-08 11:23 PM
    It most likely is my theme I guess, I've put it on using media card, DM, and by emailing to myself all with same result.

The issue that I am running into is not so much the background but the picture call display as I use the original picture which is distorted therefore the cropped picture display is also distorted, I will try it with default themes and let you know if that solves it

EDIT: Tried the it on a default theme and still distorted. I'll play around with it tomorrow. Should I wipe the device if I can't fix this?
    Last edited by d-drop; 08-21-08 at 01:14 AM.
    08-20-08 11:59 PM
    Pehaps I have misunderstood something here but I thought it was the background and not a caller ID image. If it is an image being user for the address books add picture for a contact I don't think that allows for the same size as the screen. Its more like an avatar like you would have on the forum or in an IM app.

08-21-08 02:59 AM
    Sorry for the confusion, its both actually.

Wallpapers are showing up distorted if I put them on my phone, default ones and ones I take with camera are fine. Then when I crop the wallpaper to use the portion I want for call display, that image is also distorted.

Also even before applying as a wallpaper its distorted. So as soon as any 320x240 image is put onto my blackberry it distorts the image.
    08-21-08 11:26 AM
    I can't think of anything else. The images can be tested on other BBs to see if the same thing occurs. If you know anyone else with the same model. Or attach them to a reply in the thread and I and other 8330 users can test them and see if the same thing happens.

08-21-08 10:57 PM
    What about sending a pic you've taken with your bb to your pc and then checking the info compared to the ones you're trying make.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 08-21-08 at 11:10 PM.
    08-21-08 11:06 PM
    Strangely enough I put a picture onto my PC that I took with my phone and its way wider on PC than on phone. I'm gonna test on another Curve and see.
    08-22-08 01:31 AM
    Wow, this is one in a million. Play the lottery buddy. What you're describing is impossible.
    08-22-08 09:43 AM
    I tried on another 8330, and same thing.

When moving a wallpaper to the device 320x240 in size, it makes the image look thin.

When moving an image taken with camera 1600x1200 it comes up on my PC as wide.

I can't really provide an example because one picture looks fine on the PC and the other doesnt, so you would need the phone to tell the difference.

I'll upload them anyway in a couple minutes so that someone else can try it if you dont mind.

EDIT: here is one I uploaded, took it with camera, when i put it on the phone it stretches so it looks thinner on phone than it actually is. You'll notice the O on the computer in Scissorhands is more oval and on the phone it is more rounded, that is if you are having the same trouble. Its really only noticeable when its of a person

EDIT X2: Another example is lets say Elisha Cuthbert Elisha Cuthbert | CrackBerry.com

I find it squishes her head and body when I put it on the phone. Maybe I'm just picky but the resolution should be the same on both the computer and phone and look that way.
    Last edited by d-drop; 08-22-08 at 01:07 PM.
    08-22-08 12:03 PM
    Other than the fact that the image is sideways and assuming you wanted it to be sideways like that on the screen i just loaded that image on my BB and it appears just like it does on the pc and in the thread here. No distortion of the aspect ratio at all. Can you take a screenshot of your BB screen so we can see what you are seeing? using the scissorhands image as the background for a reference point.
    08-22-08 01:21 PM
    Other than the fact that the image is sideways and assuming you wanted it to be sideways like that on the screen i just loaded that image on my BB and it appears just like it does on the pc and in the thread here. No distortion of the aspect ratio at all. Can you take a screenshot of your BB screen so we can see what you are seeing? using the scissorhands image as the background for a reference point.
    Sorry I didnt reply sooner. That picture I provided isnt the best example but it appears its a moot point now. I tried what you suggested, taking a picture of my BB screen, and on my camera it shows up thinner(same as phone) but as soon as I put the photo on my computer it gets stretched out. So its a computer issue not a phone issue.

Its still strange because the majority of pictures on my PC appear how I imagine they should appear, but if I take a picture of anyone on my phone and put it on the computer to see it appears 1.5x the size almost.

If anyone knows anything about computers and has some input as to why mine is distorting images let me know, but otherwise the blackberry is the device that is making things there actual size.

EDIT: Another note I just tested with the printer and the printer shows the same as BB and camera. Can't believe I never noticed my screen being wacky before.
    Last edited by d-drop; 08-26-08 at 06:50 PM.
    08-26-08 06:45 PM
    To be honest without actually being at the pc with you to experience exactly what is going on I really can't even begin to figure out what your PC is doing. I seems like a rather unusual situations. I can only guess that perhaps there is some sort of program installed that is messing with them. Do you have any sort of digital camera software say that came with a digital camera installed on the PC? I'm just taking a wild guess that something may be automatically processing images.
    08-26-08 07:15 PM
    Not that I know of as far as camera software.

I tried messing with screen resolutions. I'm on 1024x768 I changed it to 1280x720 and the picture comes up how it should only it makes all images square on that resolution.

I'll poke around a bit and see what I can find out.

Thanks for the help!
    08-27-08 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD