I'm not out to trash anybody, I'm just wondering why anybody would put a theme on their berry. (Damn. I keep keying shift period and getting this>)

When i'm using my berry, I wouldn't see it.

When I'm not using my bb, I don't look at it. (I'm not that addicted.Yet.)

So, tell me. Whats so great about themes?
    04-27-09 11:42 AM
    changes up the icons and sometimes the entire look of your blackberry.. IDK, it's cool to always see something new on my BB whenever I change my theme
    04-27-09 01:23 PM
    Themes allow you personalize your device to a style which you like, but also to a layout which can help your productivity or better fit with your typical usage. Also its kind of fun seeing what crazy and sometimes amazing ideas other bb addicts can come up with. If your happy with the default , ignore them. By the way can our iphone friends do themes for their device, but - I guess they think its perfect as it is

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 01:36 PM
    adding function to main screen such as the today type themes, gives you quick access to calender, calls, messages, and profiles
    04-27-09 01:39 PM
    Keep the opinions coming. I'm a function over form kinda person. What it does is more important to me than how it looks.

I'm just wondering if maybe I'm missing something due to my attitude.
    04-27-09 02:20 PM
    Its all about the personalization.

04-27-09 02:27 PM
    Keep the opinions coming. I'm a function over form kinda person. What it does is more important to me than how it looks.

First off, I love your signature. Do you use your BB for personal or business use? I could see how if someone used it for work, they might not care much. And it sounds like you said it yourself, you're function over form.

I use mine for personal use only and I love getting different themes just to switch it up now and then. Makes it feel new. Also, I have a young son whose pictures are my wallpapers so it's nice finding themes that let him shine through! I guess it's just about making it my own!
    04-27-09 03:16 PM
    Just some thing people do to make it theirs. You don't see every one driving the same make, model, and color car do you? Every one gets different options / colors to fit their needs and likes.

04-27-09 03:39 PM
    Linsey, I think you've helped me answer my own question. I too have a picture of my kids on the home screen. However, I can't see them very well because I have 47 icons on my home screen. Reason being I don't want to search for things. I know where they all are, I scroll, done.

Not much sense having a theme if I won't see it and I like my setup the way it is.
    04-27-09 03:43 PM

You said it right there, function over form. The stock themes don't function how I need them to. I needed to customise something to fit my needs.

Most of my themes have a 5 item calendar, with 6 customizable icons at the bottom, along with other small items that fit my needs.
    04-27-09 07:01 PM
    Thats true, once you are inside you car, you dont see the color :P
    But I hear the OP, Themes with all kinds of cosmetics, and bouncy icons, and fireworks and champagne that shoot out of the headphones etc, really tick me off.

I do most of my own theme, or use something like Enso's Levitation, for functional purposes. Having weather, or today's calender entries on the screen is great, hiding the carrier name is great... for me theming is about making it streamlined for my needs (which seem to change every few weeks)
    04-29-09 03:15 AM
    Linsey, I think you've helped me answer my own question. I too have a picture of my kids on the home screen. However, I can't see them very well because I have 47 icons on my home screen. Reason being I don't want to search for things. I know where they all are, I scroll, done.

Not much sense having a theme if I won't see it and I like my setup the way it is.
    I think you're mixing up themes with wallpapers.

Yes there are some themes that offer some glitzy background images, but they aren't the popular ones. The most used and the most downloaded themes are those that provide a better interface with more functionality on the home screen. For example upcoming appointments, unread messages, a weather icon with the latest info, quick access to various settings etc.

The standard Home screen has a chunk of unused space (speaking for the Bold at least) that really benefits from some of the themes available on this site.
    04-29-09 10:13 AM
    Which is where you might benefit from a Theme... a much smaller banner frees up screen space for other things. Mine is only 40px tall, but has everything I need at a glance.

As far as not wanting to search for the applications - smartly placed icons mean less trips to the application screen ... move the apps you use the most to the front of your applications list, and they'll show up on your home screen. Hide the ones you don't use (for instance, I have bluetooth hidden since I never use it.) Likewise you might consider turning off "dial from home screen" so you can use your keys to launch the common apps like the browser, messages etc.

A well designed theme leaves your home screen far less cluttered.
    04-29-09 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD