Just thought I would share a method I am now using to prevent the theft of my work. We all know there is nothing more frustrating than putting several weeks into creating a theme then finding it on someone elses web site, being passed off as their own. Well here is how I combat this. (see picture below)

Anyone else doing something different?
    08-22-08 12:36 PM
    that is good thinking...

i dont make themes but i hate when the creators feel frustrated bc somebody else is stealing their hard work....

you guys need to protect your work any way possible....
    08-22-08 12:38 PM
    Good idea! It doesn't take away from the theme either.
    08-22-08 12:38 PM
    Daniel:

Nice idea. When I was posting themes under the Themes4BB.com name, I was doing the same thing on the LOCK Screen, and using the old MASK feature on the previous release of Theme Builder.

BUT...it doesn't stop the leachers. I found several of my themes with my logo and website placed on other sites.

One way I "tried" to combat the leaching was to only offer OTA downloads, and to hot link protect the themes on my site. Hot linking prevents other sites from linking directly to your JAD files. They can still link, but it will not work when trying to download.

I am all for theme protection..and I applaud your efforts!

Steve
    08-22-08 02:06 PM
    DB, You should do that like this example of screenshot. Because Someone can steal your theme to sell others with his/ her profits instead of you actually selling your own genuine theme with profits, because you create it. I have been thinking about theme with watermark/ dock or something like that since I created my own theme.

I am here to support your concepts, feedbacks and suggests.
    08-22-08 05:37 PM
    I think that's a great idea. Nothing sucks worse than working your b u t t off on a project for someone else to steal it! And it does still look awesome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shylard; 08-22-08 at 05:46 PM.
    08-22-08 05:42 PM
    wow, call me behind times, but i didnt think ppl was that stupid or low to steal someone theme....wonder if mine been stolen...hmmm...if any one wants, i have java code that prevent the right click function...and i need to stop including the theme in the zip file...this is sad when we gotta go to acts like this for the stupid ppl in the world...

and D.B. thats a good ideal you got there! thats why on 4.5 i always link that one new icon to my site. but that still dont do no help.
    08-22-08 07:44 PM
    Great idea - protect your HARD work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-08 07:53 PM
    I totally agree with you guys trying to secure your themes. I run different themes alot and have worked with other builders for custom themes i have wanted. I respect all that you guys do and all the hard work and time that go into making a great theme. If i were to see someone else taking credit for my work would really make me mad. Good luck to all the builders...
    08-22-08 07:59 PM
    I don't blame you for wanting to protect your work. I only object when I feel ripped off by the techniques. No, I wasn't really ripped off, I just feel that way since the money I spent was wasted.

I purchased a theme. It was designated to work only with my PIN. Great! No problem. Then I did an unsuccessful OS update, and my theme was not properly backed up. Yup. That part's my fault. But when I tried to download the theme again - the one designated only for my PIN - I was informed that I had "exceeded the maximum number of downloads".

Okay. They are within their rights to be that protective. I'm not argueing that. After all, it is their intellectual propert.

But I'm within my rights not to waste my money purchasing anything more from them. From now on I'll only deal with installed or free themes.
    08-22-08 08:32 PM
    i know it cant be done with OTA, but what about password protection on zip files? just a ideal...
    08-22-08 11:04 PM
    I used to put my name on screenshots of my posted themes but it did no good.
    If someone wants to steal a theme, they will no matter what we do. I even saw one of my themes on another site with my watermarks edited out. This is always going to be a problem even after we are all dead and gone. I even quit offering zip files but it did not help, my themes were still being leached or stolen.
    08-23-08 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD