07-17-09 03:15 PM
53 123
tools
    Thanks a lot, Orange. For the files.

I have tried to install it and I was able for the first time in many tries, installed the Plazmic CDK.

Here is the sequence and the file I used from Orange's files.
    1. jdk-1_5_0_15-nb-6_1-windows.exe
    2. BlackBerry_JDE_4.2.0.exe
    3. BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.0-4.exe
    4. Plazmic_CDK_v4_2_2.exe

Hope that would help other frustrating aspiring Theme builders.

Although I haven't try running it.
    07-12-08 07:01 PM
    im glad it work! and glad you found the right order, cause i had no clue! they should make this thread a main one, it have some important info in it for all BB theme designers!
    07-12-08 07:06 PM
    You need to download and install the following files which all can be found at Blackberry dot com website in downloads. The following files and versions are as follow. You have to have the correct version or the Plazmic Theme builder will not install.

1. Blackberry JDE 4.2.1
    2. Blackberry MDS Studio 1.1.1
    3. Blackberry Email and MDS Service Simulator 4.1.2...why this file I do not know but you gotta have it.
    And the finally the Plazmic Theme Builder, I think it is 4.2. And of course you can download the theme builder from Plazmic dot com. It took me one day and I finally got it installed because I kept downloading the wrong version of Blackberry MDS Studio. It took four tries but it works and I have created about thirty themes. Only thing I wish is that there were more icons or better ones and wish the L theme template was included in the samples. Goood Luck
    PS. I forgot that java file. If I am not mistaken, which I am more times than not, it is include also on the site with the rest of the files. If you still confuse try help at another forum entitled BBgeeks dot com there is where I got my info and instructions. Once again good luck
    Last edited by bpbrown; 07-12-08 at 07:30 PM.
    07-12-08 07:21 PM
    Thanks Orange, once again!! Wanted to report back and let everyone know that all of the files included in Orange's DL links worked great and Plazmic is up and running.

And @bpbrown... we know that we need all of those files. The whole point of this thread was to centralize links into one place so you did not need to hassle with searching and finding the correct files (which can be a pain in the a$$!! )
    07-13-08 01:35 PM
    I knew and understood the point of what the discussion was, and in no way was I being smart or flippant so I do not understand your point, really. I thought I was offering some help... obviously not. All the files I stated I downloaded from two sites, Blackberry dot com and Plazmic dot com. I am guessing today that it was not centralized enough. Forgive me if I appeared to be flippant. Carry on. Boy!
    07-13-08 01:54 PM
    Wow, I had given up on trying to build my own themes because it seemed nothing right and making icons was a nightmare......now I think I may give it a shot again.....thank you for all the files Orange! Can't wait to see all the icons also. That is the part that also baffles me, how are some of you making all the icons?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 03:56 PM
    I knew and understood the point of what the discussion was, and in no way was I being smart or flippant so I do not understand your point, really. I thought I was offering some help... obviously not. All the files I stated I downloaded from two sites, Blackberry dot com and Plazmic dot com. I am guessing today that it was not centralized enough. Forgive me if I appeared to be flippant. Carry on. Boy!
    If you notice, I was not accusing you of any of the things you stated in this post. I was making you aware that the point we were trying to get at in this thread was to centralize all of the links for the needed files into one place.

We understand that the files can be found... and where they can be found. But, it is a pain to navigate the sites and find the exact versions that the Plazmic SDK begs to use. If I would use the most recent version of the JavaRE, for example, then Plazmic would throw a fit and ask for the correct version.

I was not saying anything along the lines of you being smart, arrogant, etc. I was saying that we are attempting to post direct links to the DL locations for all of the files... just as OrangeTX has already done (and was done before you posted).
    07-13-08 04:25 PM
    Wow great work everyone. I havent had time to set this all up yet but thats awesome we were able to figure this out, especially you OrangeTX (mad props). Leave it to CrackBerry to solve anything. Ill report back when I try this out later.
    07-13-08 06:36 PM
    I can officially confirm that this method is working and gets Plazmic installed in a snap! Good work everyone on coming up with a system to get this done. I followed the install order that rvpals came up with, and used the files from orangetx's server.

Thanks everyone and enjoy!

Mods - Maybe put up a quick guide or sticky for people who might be struggling in the future?

[EDIT] I am definetly going to be up all night working with this thing. I am pumping out some crazy themes right now, basically just customizing myself a great version of the Dimension Today theme. I really have a special appreciation for how difficult it is to make awesome, smooth themes now that I have used this program. There must be tons of hours that go into making all the icons and small tiny little images to work in the right way. Kudos to people like you, NancyDrew, for some awesome theme work that must take you weeks.
    Last edited by shooptek; 07-14-08 at 11:42 PM.
    07-14-08 11:37 PM
    but I know you can make "L" and Bottom Zen Themes
    With the current Pazmic?
    07-15-08 05:53 AM
    With the current Pazmic?
    No. The ability to make "L" and Bottom Zen will be coming in the next Plazmic SDK. I think I stated that, but I am unsure

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to take an existing theme (such as my TMo Bottom Zen) and customize it and polish it up to my liking?? That is what I really want to be able to do!
    07-15-08 07:19 AM
    Also, does anyone know if it is possible to take an existing theme (such as my TMo Bottom Zen) and customize it and polish it up to my liking?? That is what I really want to be able to do!
    I was thinking about this myself last night as I was doing some experimentation, and I figured that if you can figure out how to get the files from those themes off the phone and onto the computer, that you can just go to Plazmic and open it in there. I dont see why this wouldnt work, but the tricky part would be to pull the theme off the phone.
    07-15-08 07:30 AM
    What files do I need? I can get the TMo Bottom Zen .cod files from the Java folder easily!!
    07-15-08 07:39 AM
    No. The ability to make "L" and Bottom Zen will be coming in the next Plazmic SDK. I think I stated that, but I am unsure
    Ah, I guess I just misunderstood you.

The .cod files are not what you need to edit a theme. They use a .thm file which I'm guessing is unique to the program. This comes from their Help file:

When you create a new theme project, you must first select a base theme. The base theme determines the layout of the Home screen. The following three base themes exist:

Icon theme: The Home screen displays all the applications available on the BlackBerry device, represented by icons and organized in a grid layout.
    Zen theme: The Home screen displays five applications, plus an application folder from which all applications on the BlackBerry device can be accessed.
    Today theme
    : The Home screen displays three applications (by default, the message, calendar, and call log applications), with the most recent entries displayed for each application, plus an application folder from which all applications on the BlackBerry device can be accessed.
    You create your new theme upon the framework of the base theme you choose. You cannot alter the basic layout of a base theme; you cannot, for example, change an icon theme from a grid layout to a vertical layout.
    07-15-08 08:01 AM
    I knew the basic process for building a theme... and I understand you build upon the base themes

I am just wondering if there is any way to import another theme, edit then rebuild and load to device!
    07-15-08 08:04 AM
    What I was trying to illustrate is that you must chose from one of their predefined base themes. There is no import function in this build.
    07-15-08 08:13 AM
    What I was trying to illustrate is that you must chose from one of their predefined base themes. There is no import function in this build.
    Yeah... that is sad. So, basically... unless we get our hands on the .thm file or whatever you mentioned... there is no possible way we can do this!
    07-15-08 08:15 AM
    Right. And I think Plazmic would have to develop the .thm
    07-15-08 08:17 AM
    hmm... well I am off to look to see if I can find some sorta source files for any of the carrier's themes...

this looks like it will be unprobable!
    07-15-08 08:19 AM
    I did a google search and found a L.thm file, but it doesn't want to open in the builder.
    07-15-08 08:21 AM
    google search the file names, it's what I did and it was able to download easily

BlackBerry_JDE_4.2.0.exe

http://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....windows-ml.exe

BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.0-4.exe

HOPE THAT HELPS!
    05-05-09 12:47 PM
    i keep getting a "507 error on the simulator. can anyone help me with this . my builder and sim are the correct versions. this is for a storm
    05-23-09 01:26 PM
    i keep getting a "507 error on the simulator. can anyone help me with this . my builder and sim are the correct versions. this is for a storm
    I was able to get around that error by going to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Smartphone Simulators 4.7.0\4.7.0.75 (9530-Verizon) and running the fledge application from there. Hope this helps!
    05-24-09 10:44 AM
    Ok...so I have 2 questions for this...#1 Have a storm and altered the original theme so that it is the way that I want it but I need to know how to put it on to my phone now so that I can use it. How do I do this? #2 How do I take a theme off of my phone so that I can make some tweaks to it so that it is 100% the way i want it?
    05-24-09 09:06 PM
    I am looking for a way to get the theme off of my phone so that I am able to alter it myself...ANY suggestions?
    05-24-09 10:11 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD