I'm just putting this out there.

What does everyone think of having the themes forum split into premium(paid) and free themes.

I build free themes and even when I want to mix it up and try other free themes I have to search through all the premium themes to find them. I know premium theme builders will more than likely not be a fan of this idea as it could possibly lower the amount of traffic they get but they also get advertising from crackberry with theme giveaways and reviews anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-10 01:19 AM
    Great idea... maybe I'll look at themes more often.
    07-18-10 07:28 AM
    I was thinking the same thing for a long time now, it would be nice if the themes could be split into Paid and Free.

07-18-10 08:44 AM
    Your idea is practical, simple, direct, and sensible, which is why it will never be seriously considered as a solution.

Personally, when a post doesn't follow the rules set forth (regarding Free or Premium in the title), I assume that the themebuilder isn't proud enough of the theme to announce that it's for sale.
    07-18-10 08:46 AM
    Personally I would rather not see any theme threads when I go to latest threads.

07-18-10 08:47 AM
    Having the requirement for people to put free or paid in the title should be sufficient, imo
    07-18-10 03:55 PM
    Wow...that's an interesting response! Personally, I'd rather not seen any attack threads when I click on "Lastest" but think that's gonna happen? A theme thread showing up when you go to "Latest" is simply a single line item, easy enough to skip by if you're not interested, so I'm puzzled by your response here which seems totally off point and perhaps even a bit insulting to the theme developers. Gives me the warm fuzzies...sigh.

To the OP, while I am not a theme developer myself, I think your point is well taken. But, while on the one hand it would make it easier to differentiate for those searching for a theme, I could imagine that those developing paid themes would object. When people see "Paid" vs. "Free" as an option to search, they're probably more inclined to simply search "Free" and less inclined to even peruse the "Paid," this giving an unfair advantage to the free ones. I'm not taking sides here, just thinking the process out.

Personally I would rather not see any theme threads when I go to latest threads.

07-18-10 04:34 PM
    Wow...that's an interesting response! Personally, I'd rather not seen any attack threads when I click on "Lastest" but think that's gonna happen? A theme thread showing up when you go to "Latest" is simply a single line item, easy enough to skip by if you're not interested, so I'm puzzled by your response here which seems totally off point and perhaps even a bit insulting to the theme developers. Gives me the warm fuzzies...sigh.
    I wasn't attacking anybody. I just don't get into themes. When I am here to help and 3/4 of the posts are themes it tiresome.

07-18-10 05:13 PM
    i dont thiink they need to split the forums, but maybe change posting or summat, like say have a box what you tick for free or premium, which you HAVE to tick, that way people must say what it is.

i dont think it`ll get split due to profit revenues as you say.

my biggest aggravation though is all these `theme blogs` which get posted, which are totally against the rules, but i guess its a part of life, and just roll with it, maybe have it so links are inputted into a seperate section rather than just as per text, and that link has to either be a .jad or mhstore link.

there are so many ways to approach it, but its whats both feasible and practical at the same time.
    07-18-10 05:20 PM
    I would like to see Marketplace eliminated from the New BlackBerry posts search.

My suggestion would be to add a function in the search to filter out themes, marketplace, etc. like is done to search for latest BlackBerry posts except Storm. Then people would have the option of seeing the theme and marketplace posts if they are interested in them, but skipping them if they are not interested.
    07-18-10 05:30 PM
    Well some of those posts went way off topic

Eneryplus - yeah i totally understand users will be more inclined to look at the free section compared to paid but that is essentially what people are doing now whenever they see the word premium. But crackberry itself advertises these premium theme themselves by reviewing them and offering them in competitions and the amount of premium themes available always seem to out number the free ones so any loss in foot traffic they get crackberry would make up for them anyway.

First and foremost crackberry is a BlackBerry fan website and things like themes made by BB users for other users shouldn't have to fight for a position on the forum with others who solely design them to make money. Now I'm not trying to push my themes because they are based off TV shows that have a cult following so I know I'm never gonna get the download stats as some others but there has to be some fairness to it all.

07-19-10 12:46 AM
    I would like to see this split as well, but unfortunatly I don't think it'll help any. Theme makers that are selling seem to have a hard enough time keeping track of their threads to put [Premium] in the subject, I have hit a large handfull that don't say it and end up being paid themes. I have no problem with the paid ones and some are worth the small price they ask, but i'd like to know going in that it's a paid one vs free. If splitting the section helps with that, great.
    07-19-10 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD