10-15-09 01:05 AM
26 12
tools
    I am using plasmic and am trying to resize just the home screen icons while leaving the icons on the application menu their default size, could anyone guide me on how to do this? I can easily change the application menu icons but not the home screen ones
    12-08-08 06:42 PM
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. It would be nice to be able to resize home screen icons.
    12-09-08 09:15 AM
    Are you trying to make them larger on the homescreen and leave them the default size on the apps screen?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 10:34 AM
    Yes, I want them smaller on the homescreen and default size on the applications screen

Does this involve making a custom .SVG or is there a different way? When I select reposition icons I can resize them using the little boxes on the corner but the changes do not stick.

Any ideas?
    12-09-08 12:33 PM
    I hope we dont have to create an svg, thats such a pain in the *** and then you have to create static icons, not application order icons (from what i gather, i could be completely wrong)
    12-09-08 12:40 PM
    I'm clueless with .SVG files...
    12-09-08 12:44 PM
    Yes, you would have to create an svg. How do you want it done? Along the bottom?

12-09-08 11:48 PM
    I'm not sure what the OP wanted but if you could give me a quick rundown of how to create one along the bottom that would be greatly appreciated!
    12-10-08 12:05 PM
    I'd like it as an L with the calender inside of the L, I figured smaller icons so I could fit about 8 or so icons inside the L
    12-10-08 01:29 PM
    LOL - quick rundown of this is kindof an oxymoron, but there goes!

Create a new composer document, pick what screensize you're using, and I usually do the background transparent.

On the tools box on the left side of the screen, look toward the bottom. Hover over to see what they are, you need the Theme Button.

Click wherever on the screen you want your icon (prob start out in the lower left hand corner). Repeat the theme button for as many icons as you want.

Go over to where it lists the buttons that you've created, scroll down and start with #1. Click on it and you'll see a bunch of options in the box next to where you just clicked. It gives you 4 choices for what application you want this to be, click on use device application order. Do this for all of your icons.

Select the first icon and move it to where you want it on the screen. Do the same with the last one, then go to the list of icons (they'll be called theme_button_#XX), and select them all. highlight the first one, scroll to the last one, press shift and click the last one - this should highlight all of them. Go to the allignment box, and select allign bottom, and equal spacing horozontally.

Now we get into what effects you want your icons to have. Once again you'll have to do these one by one. Select theme_button_#1, and in the inspector, click the second tab at the top. You have 4 options here for animations. I have not yet played around with the size effect, but two of the options are to scale by 50% and 100%. The preview window gives you an idea of how it's going to look. You want the normal animation to be scale by 100%. Do this with each of your icons.

Save the composer document. Then export as an svg. Then in theme builder, create a custom theme, and on the second screen down is where you put in the svg file.

There is a checkbox that says something like render homescreen over banner, I don't know what that means. You can just play around with it, save the different versions for when you test the theme.

I hope I haven't thoroughly confused you, and I hope this helps!
    12-10-08 01:51 PM
    Mikal, what device will you be making this theme for? If it's a curve or pearl, you'll need to do the calendar on the left side of the screen, and you'd have to do a backwards L. The bold and new pearl are the only ones I've seen where the today items can be anywhere on the screen.
    12-10-08 01:54 PM
    Wow ganns, thanks so much for taking the time to write that up, much appreciated!!!
    12-10-08 09:05 PM
    Thanks ganns! I'll be making this for a bold, I haven't had time to keep up with this thread so maybe this weekend
    12-11-08 09:14 AM
    No problem guys! Just play around with it, make different versions and see how it is on your bb.

12-11-08 09:44 AM
    Hey ganns, I followed your instructions (finally had some time) and they helped a lot. I was wondering how I could use Composer to create a today icon (like a calendar with a list underneath it of events to come). When I use a custom SVG through Theme Builder then try to place a today icon it is too big and cannot be resized
    12-13-08 01:23 PM
    Not sure, actually. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer that, or you can just keep playing around with it. Or try this, when you get to the part where you click "use device application order", leave that the default and select calendar instead of the default app, which is messages.
    12-13-08 09:02 PM
    hi, i have a very similar problem and i'm going to ask a dumb question here, but where can i get the composer program from? think there are more programs to download as I have only downloaded plamiz and managed to create a nice theme but cant get any icons to work on the homescreen.

would also like to be able to find some funky looking battery and signal meters.
    12-22-08 05:00 AM
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I can't get any help anywhere with this.

I followed your instructions to a T and everything worked fine except for 2 things. When you import a custom SVG file, the buttons created with your method cannot be moved or edited in any way in the Theme Builder. Is there any way to make them editable?

If that's not possible, I still have one more problem. Once I discovered that the buttons could not be edited once imported into the Theme Builder, I went ahead and aligned the buttons exactly where I wanted them in the Composer before uploading the SVG. Everything worked fine until I tried out my new theme on my BB. No 3rd part apps light up when they're highlighted. I noticed that they don't normally light up either when selected on the menu screen, but there's a black box surrounding them that DOES. How can I add this black box around these buttons I've created? I'm brand new to both the composer and the theme builder, so any help is greatly appreciated.
    02-23-09 11:56 PM
    Is it just me or does this process only scale the viewable area of the icon and not the actual icon?

I can't seem to find a way to scale the home screen icons down while still keeping the apps menu icons their original size.
    Last edited by totaldis; 03-13-09 at 10:14 AM.
    03-13-09 09:04 AM
    hi, i have a very similar problem and i'm going to ask a dumb question here, but where can i get the composer program from? think there are more programs to download as I have only downloaded plamiz and managed to create a nice theme but cant get any icons to work on the homescreen.

would also like to be able to find some funky looking battery and signal meters.
    u download it when u download plazmic it all comes together jus go to your start menu and go to plazmic and there should be theme builder and composer
    03-18-09 01:03 PM
    Is it just me or does this process only scale the viewable area of the icon and not the actual icon?

I can't seem to find a way to scale the home screen icons down while still keeping the apps menu icons their original size.
    This is my finding as well... I have been racking my brains trying to get this to work... All I get is a smaller window for each icon, but I can only see part of the icon... I must be missing something... Any suggestions?
    03-24-09 01:32 PM
    There's another way of doing it guys. Go into whatever editing program you use, and resize all the icons and tabs to whichever size you'd like them to be (say 60x60, instead of the standard 80x80 Zen icons). Now, the trick is, cut the resized icon from the picture, then resize the "canvas" to 80x80. Paste the picture and center it, and voila!

I'm not sure if it's easier or not, as I've never used composer, but it is a bit time consuming. Simple, but takes a while.
    03-24-09 03:13 PM
    There's another way of doing it guys. Go into whatever editing program you use, and resize all the icons and tabs to whichever size you'd like them to be (say 60x60, instead of the standard 80x80 Zen icons). Now, the trick is, cut the resized icon from the picture, then resize the "canvas" to 80x80. Paste the picture and center it, and voila!

I'm not sure if it's easier or not, as I've never used composer, but it is a bit time consuming. Simple, but takes a while.
    That's what I did and it has worked, BUT it becomes a pain when you use 3rd party apps... I basically took screen shots and did the same for the 3rd party apps, but if I want to use device order and have a third party app, it's not going to fly...

The 50/50 theme (I think that's what it's called) has it working correctly...

I am also losing the unread message marker on the application screen icons (the first screen), but it works fine on the home screen... Again, 50/50 works...

Any suggestions?
    03-24-09 06:34 PM
    I'll go ahead and throw up a crazy solution to this I found on accident. I'm sure some of the below steps aren't necessary. I needed some of these for the theme I was making anyways, and since this feels like a (beneficial) glitch, some of the seemingly random steps might be needed. My example is changing an 80x80 icon to a 40x40.

1) Open up your favorite image editing app (e.g. Photoshop) and create a PNG of your desired app icon size. What the PNG actually contains makes NO difference. I fill mine with red with the bucket tool so if I make a mistake somewhere down the line and the PNG shows up on my BB I'll know right away.

2) Open Composer and start a new project.

3) Place your buttons in the locations you'll want them to end up on your phone using the "Theme Button" tool in the toolbox. The third tab in Composer allows you to set the exact location. For example if you have a 60 pixel banner and want your first icon to start 10 pixels below the banner, enter 70 as the y value.

4) On the first tab of the inspector choose "Third Party Application" and in the text bow below type the name of an app. It doesn't matter what name, call it "foobar" for all it matters. You just need some arbitrary text in that box.

5) Under the "Images" heading, click EACH icon and replace it with the PNG you made in step 1. You can assign the exact same icon to both Normal and Focus.

6) Double click the button in the "Objects" window and give it an easily recognized (and easily searchable) name. "Button1" is fine.

7) Repeat the process for each button you'd like to resize. If you're not resizing a button you can just use "Use Device Application Order" like usual or add it later in Theme Builder.

** Hard Part! **

8) Once you're finished your button layout and whatever else you need to do in Composer export your project as an SVG.

9) Open the SVG file in the text editor of your choice and look for the following bit of code near the top:
    Code:
    <g  id="Button1"
    	transform="translate(-240 80)">
    	<!-- pz:tag type="button" -->
    <g  id="Button1-Contents">
    	<!-- pz:tag type="layer" -->
    10) Add in the following bit of code on the line before <g id="YOURBUTTONNAME-Content">:
    Code:
    <useApplicationIcons app-id="slot0"
          normal-group="normalImage"
          focus-group="focusImage"/>
    11) Your code section should now look like this, only with the name you assigned your button in place of "Button1":

Code:
    <g  id="Button1"
    	transform="translate(-240 80)">
    	<!-- pz:tag type="button" -->
    <useApplicationIcons app-id="slot0"
          normal-group="normalImage"
          focus-group="focusImage"/>	
    <g  id="Button1-Contents">
    	<!-- pz:tag type="layer" -->
    12) Change "slot0" to the Application Screen icon number you'd like to use for that button. It's 0 based so "slot0" refers to the first app on the app screen, "slot3" would be the fourth button, etc.

13) Repeat steps 10-12 for each button you need resized. You may or may not need to do this to the buttons you're not resizing depending on how you've setup your theme. Most likely you wont.

14) Open up Theme Builder and start a new project. Go to "Theme the Home Screen" in the inspector and import your modified SVG File in the "SVG File" box.

15) Scroll down to Navigation and setup the navigation order. Even though you won't see your SVG's buttons in the "Applications" box you'll be able to select them in the Navigation area.

16) Check your work in an emulator or just export the ALX and drop it on your BB through Application Loader.

17) Profit! Actually, don't profit, charging for themes has always seemed ******** to me. Get a real job hippie.
    04-15-09 09:36 PM
    Ok, I love to overcomplicate things massively apparently. Let me try again:

1) Just create an icon bound to "Use Device Application Order", export to SVG, open up the SVG and find the button entry. Change all the image widths/heights to the new res. Example: width="80" height="80" becomes width="40" height="40". The end.
    04-16-09 12:36 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD