04-15-10 11:58 AM
26 12
tools
    Hi all,

Real Icon 2 is available now - It's the second installment of my series of themes built with totally 3D rendered Icons.

The new version is quicker, uses a lot less in the way of transparency, images have been much better optimised and is therefore easier on memory and system overheads.

It's taken quite a while to build for one reason or another (those who followed the thread for the first theme will understand) - I've tried to incorporate just about everything that was asked for after the release of the first theme, and the theme has been tested extensively mainly by the kind members of this forum.

Real Icon 2 is available for the above handsets via Crackberry at $4.50 here.

Thanks all

Hope you like it.

Dave
    08-16-09 09:05 AM
    Dave, you done good. Without fanfare you've made a weatherbug/meterberry compatible theme with fantastic icons (love the Brit phone booth!). Your eye for pleasing detail is unsurpassed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 09:32 AM
    Nice one fella. Does your Today version have a hidden dock? I see the Today area but no bottom dock. Trying to decide between the two..
    08-16-09 02:13 PM
    Nice one fella. Does your Today version have a hidden dock? I see the Today area but no bottom dock. Trying to decide between the two..
    nope, no hidden dock - personally I use the Zen version. I prefer a cleaner homescreen.
    08-16-09 02:16 PM
    nope, no hidden dock - personally I use the Zen version. I prefer a cleaner homescreen.
    yeah that's what I'm getting, cheers.
    08-16-09 02:19 PM
    This is a great looking theme. Any chance for some 8100 love? I would gladly pay double for the theme.
    08-16-09 05:51 PM
    Dave -

Wish I could have beta tested this for you like we had talked about, but sir, you did a great job on this theme. Looks really nice, clean, and very professional! Congrats on the hard work.
    08-16-09 05:58 PM
    This is a great looking theme. Any chance for some 8100 love? I would gladly pay double for the theme.
    Sorry nope, not for this one. Not, now anyway, I'm looking forward onto moving onto my next one.

Dave -

Wish I could have beta tested this for you like we had talked about, but sir, you did a great job on this theme. Looks really nice, clean, and very professional! Congrats on the hard work.
    Completely forgot mate, apologies - I had you there on my BM the whole time! I could have done with another Tour tester too...
    08-16-09 06:21 PM
    Sorry, posted in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by CalxDesign; 08-17-09 at 07:24 AM.
    08-17-09 05:39 AM
    Hi Dave,

Congrats for getting v2 out. As I already posted, I have it on my 8900 and I'm loving it.
    However, I found a small detail that I wanted to bring to your attention, that if it's fixed, will make the theme even better.

If one of the 3D icons that you have created is selected, the highlighted edge around the icon is 1 pixel smaller than when a 3rd party icon is selected (maybe this pixel is related to the one that was giving you problems on the Tour ). This makes it hard to see which of the 3D icons is the currently selected one.

See the attached screenshots, where the first one has the 3D Calendar icon selected and the other one has the Gmail icon selected.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
    08-17-09 10:16 AM
    Hi Dave,

Congrats for getting v2 out. As I already posted, I have it on my 8900 and I'm loving it.
    However, I found a small detail that I wanted to bring to your attention, that if it's fixed, will make the theme even better.

If one of the 3D icons that you have created is selected, the highlighted edge around the icon is 1 pixel smaller than when a 3rd party icon is selected (maybe this pixel is related to the one that was giving you problems on the Tour ). This makes it hard to see which of the 3D icons is the currently selected one.
    Hello mate, the reason that happens is because the focus icon is an underlay. It's drops in behind all the icons when you roll your cursor over it and replaces the default background image, which is just a picture of the 3D scene, lit with no objects in it. (which you dont see on the 3d versions cos they have their own backgrounds) This is so the 3rd party icons look the as similar to the 3d ones as possible.

But, there is another inner pixel that is hidden behind the 3D icons because they are all the same size and they block it with their own backgrounds.

On a 3rd party icon in you the alpha channel reveals the extra pixel line inside and you get more of a highlight. There's not actually any more room for another pixel of highlight on the 3D icons. So let's just say, by a complete fluke it's even easier to see the 3rd party icons, rather than it's hard to see the standard ones

See what I mean? I can take that single line of highlight off the 3rd party Icons, but i cant add it to the 3D ones.
    08-17-09 10:35 AM
    I like it so far since it's fast. I've noticed though that the profile icon gets a little bigger when the device is locked and it almost touches the signal dial.
    08-17-09 10:41 AM
    I like it so far since it's fast. I've noticed though that the profile icon gets a little bigger when the device is locked and it almost touches the signal dial.
    Yeah it does, you have no control over this on the lock screen. While i nearly took it out, in the end I didn't consider it a deal-breaker to be honest.Worth it, to know what profile you have while the applications menu is showing.
    08-17-09 10:46 AM
    Hello mate, the reason that happens is because the focus icon is an underlay. It's drops in behind all the icons when you roll your cursor over it and replaces the default background image, which is just a picture of the 3D scene, lit with no objects in it. (which you dont see on the 3d versions cos they have their own backgrounds) This is so the 3rd party icons look the as similar to the 3d ones as possible.

But, there is another inner pixel that is hidden behind the 3D icons because they are all the same size and they block it with their own backgrounds.

On a 3rd party icon in you the alpha channel reveals the extra pixel line inside and you get more of a highlight. There's not actually any more room for another pixel of highlight on the 3D icons. So let's just say, by a complete fluke it's even easier to see the 3rd party icons, rather than it's hard to see the standard ones

See what I mean? I can take that single line of highlight off the 3rd party Icons, but i cant add it to the 3D ones.

Hm ok, I see, thanks for the elaborate answer.
    Well, although I like the extra line on the 3rd party icons, I would prefer the highlight to be the same on all icons rather than have different highlights on 3rd party and 3D icons.
    08-17-09 03:14 PM
    Great work!
    08-17-09 04:27 PM
    this theme is awesome dude. i saw your original in the theme dev forums. i liked the banner on it better. but still great work on the icons.
    08-19-09 05:32 PM
    Alright all,

Just a quick note to say now 'Pod' is almost done I'm gonna be moving on to "Real Icon 3" - This will (again) be a new theme from the ground up so I can't really offer it as a free upgrade cos these themes take weeks to produce, they're not just a rehash. Maybe I can knock a few % off or something for existing users at least...

Main differences: The metering is now combined into one device. Outer ring is signal, then battery, then the central ring indicates what profile is selected. All the icons have been reworked and re-rendered using my new system. So more detail, better lighting, better effects. There will be 2 versions, both with switchable docks with and without a today section. I haven't tried a switchable dock yet but I'm keen to give it a go. Obviously I will need testers. If you want to help signup here:

Calx | Design & Visualisation

Cheers all

Will update with any more news shortly.

Dave
    02-26-10 08:21 AM
    Alright all,

Just a quick note to say now 'Pod' is almost done I'm gonna be moving on to "Real Icon 3" - This will (again) be a new theme from the ground up so I can't really offer it as a free upgrade cos these themes take weeks to produce, they're not just a rehash. Maybe I can knock a few % off or something for existing users at least...

Main differences: The metering is now combined into one device. Outer ring is signal, then battery, then the central ring indicates what profile is selected. All the icons have been reworked and re-rendered using my new system. So more detail, better lighting, better effects. There will be 2 versions, both with switchable docks with and without a today section. I haven't tried a switchable dock yet but I'm keen to give it a go. Obviously I will need testers. If you want to help signup here:

Calx | Design & Visualisation

Cheers all

Will update with any more news shortly.

Dave
    Fantastic!

Can you make sure to have a QL from spacebar and SMS from $ shortcut?

I hope so.

Keep up the great work.
    02-26-10 11:46 AM
    Fantastic!

Can you make sure to have a QL from spacebar and SMS from $ shortcut?

I hope so.

Keep up the great work.
    I was gonna have space toggle the dock open and closed so you can just leave it open or put it away? Mainly becuase QL can always be fired up from a convenience key. Although now you mention it. I've kinda got used to SPACE being QuickLaunch from using Mord. Either way I'm happy for people to post what they would like to see in the next theme, I've always liked the ideas and constructive criticism that came with building the Real Icon themes. So do post what you want to see in it's 3rd incarnation.

cheers

Dave
    02-26-10 11:55 AM
    Dave, psyched to hear Pod is almost ready. For RI3, please keep the UK-style phonebooth (or enhance for this theme) and bring back the mailbox. The envelope from RI2 is nice but loses style points to the UK mailbox.
    Also, I like the meters but I've found the brighter colored ones are a bit easier to read. Can't wait!
    Last edited by mundo472; 03-05-10 at 06:47 AM.
    02-26-10 04:22 PM
    I was gonna have space toggle the dock open and closed so you can just leave it open or put it away? Mainly becuase QL can always be fired up from a convenience key. Although now you mention it. I've kinda got used to SPACE being QuickLaunch from using Mord. Either way I'm happy for people to post what they would like to see in the next theme, I've always liked the ideas and constructive criticism that came with building the Real Icon themes. So do post what you want to see in it's 3rd incarnation.

cheers

Dave
    Yep.... QL from space bar is almost a standard for me now it seems. I'm just so used to it. I would love $ for sms as that is becoming a standard as well. Is there another key option that could be used to hide the dock?
    02-28-10 04:21 AM
    I've been thinking I might lose the radial metering. In favour of something more classic (like Mord)

Any thoughts....?
    03-11-10 07:15 AM
    Dave, classic meters are easy to read and fine, just not interesting. The radial meters are interesting and more than fine, but the monochrome makes them harder to read. The ones in Darkroom are easy to read with the high contrast. Perhaps the style you've proposed here but with more contrast?

I've been thinking I might lose the radial metering. In favour of something more classic (like Mord)

Any thoughts....?
    03-11-10 02:10 PM
    Would this theme work on my Storm 1 running OS 5.0?
    04-07-10 01:01 PM
    Real Icon 2 had been superseded by 'Anyon' and there'll be a storm version available soon...

Thanks

Dave
    04-07-10 01:06 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD