Considering that someone already got a nasty gram from Plazmic saying that we are not even supposed to be posting themes publically made with the beta, how are so many people selling themes made with it, making a profit off a beta release against Plazmic's regulations and getting away with it?

Do they have special permission to sell Storm themes made with this beta?? Am I missing something?

I am referring to this post:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f131/ag...themes-159583/
    02-15-09 11:01 AM
    They will get to sending C/D letters to everyone that gets reported I am sure. As with everything else it wont stop people and they wont catch everyone.
    02-15-09 11:03 AM
    When people like me think a theme especially a custom theme is meant to be everything about 100% GUI re-defining, still there are people don't care it that much.

You may have already noticed since the birth of plazmic, icon replacement has been a major part and easier part for plazmic users compared with recreate everything new. That's the reason why there are so many fruity phoinc copycatting so called themes.

When a default dimension template based or precision template based theme hasn't been modified too heavy but just been inserted 2 or 3 or even only one custom picture and the "author" aka "designer" still claims this is a self designed "theme". I know that and you know that this really sucks, but these kinda cheesy pony trick do attract some peoples' eyeballs. So when it comes to commercial related stuff, adrenaline inside rushes rapidly than usual. Also I do know people who believe there are competitions between commercial plazmic users. This gives these users great pulses to dare to leak, search online for unreleased software despite RIM's weak supervision and challenge it.

Also while someone I know claims the commercial theming thing as the only way to earn money for his college days, still imho i think many commercial themes just don't worth their 6 or 7 bucks.
    02-15-09 12:22 PM
    I highly doubt any of these individuals received special permission to sell themes made with this beta; that is to say that I doubt that any of them are official beta testers. And even then, like stated in the C/D letter someone received, selling themes made with a beta CDK goes against Plazmic's licensing agreement.

Personally, I was a little shocked to see that so many theme developers jumped at the chance to sell 'premium' themes made with beta software, much less so soon after it leaked (i.e. less than 24 hours after it leaked). I make it a point to not subject my customers to themes made with beta/unstable software, especially due to the bugs that naturally come with making said themes. I just feel that one of my responsibilities as a commercial theme developer is to insure that my customers get what they paid for, not something that (knowingly) may or may not function properly and may even damage their phone.

Anyway, to each his/her own I guess...
    Last edited by bettedavis07; 02-15-09 at 09:55 PM.
    02-15-09 05:24 PM
    Considering that someone already got a nasty gram from Plazmic saying that we are not even supposed to be posting themes publically made with the beta, how are so many people selling themes made with it, making a profit off a beta release against Plazmic's regulations and getting away with it?

Do they have special permission to sell Storm themes made with this beta?? Am I missing something?

Furthermore... why is CB.com allowing these illegal transactions???
    02-15-09 07:24 PM
    Furthermore... why is CB.com allowing these illegal transactions???
    Because CrackBerry does not control entries into the store, it's not our place to govern what get's put in there, that store is owned and ran by Mobihand and they control what gets put into there as far as software and themes etc etc are concerned.

On a lighter note, I'm curious where all these complaints were when 4.3 came out and the SAME thing happened, bPlay had to pull themes, Peter Mac had to pull themes, but yet...no public outcry from the community then, only at a minimal level and that was only because they could no longer get cool themes such as "Crossbar" when it was new and never before seen in a theme.
    02-15-09 10:27 PM
    whens the official coming out? i wanna dollar or two myself!
    02-16-09 03:30 AM
    I wanna just make themes lol
    02-16-09 02:33 PM
    I think in addition t this some folks t using themes made with icons developed by others. Selling these themes is straight stealing imo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 08:13 PM
    Because CrackBerry does not control entries into the store, it's not our place to govern what get's put in there, that store is owned and ran by Mobihand and they control what gets put into there as far as software and themes etc etc are concerned.

On a lighter note, I'm curious where all these complaints were when 4.3 came out and the SAME thing happened, bPlay had to pull themes, Peter Mac had to pull themes, but yet...no public outcry from the community then, only at a minimal level and that was only because they could no longer get cool themes such as "Crossbar" when it was new and never before seen in a theme.
    crackberry may not have control over whats put on the store but it could suggest to pull those themes out. As for why no outcry back when 4.3 came out is that those themes where original not someone else work and imported from a different platform and claiming they are artist.
    02-16-09 09:30 PM

Zpazmik.... Dumb *sses really don't get it do they? Plazmic = RIM right?
    So? what the F is the problem? It should be free!! It makes the almost dead storm rise from the dead again. So.... I guess they REALLY should sh*t the f*ck up or else I'm gonna send mr sillyballs a big bag of weed and call the customs on his *ss and I am not kidding!!! Greedy motherf*cking bastards should be thankfull that it promotes the storm again. NOW people are like: wow... is that the storm? COOL! All of a sudden, also due to the .106 release it is starting to become a bit more of what it should have been at release. I feel very much f*cked over by RIM so they should not have the ffing guts to start complaining now cause I will let rain down weed in ALL their pockets... and have the cops pull them over!

No, you know what? They should charge a bunch for it and lets see how long the storm will survive in its current state four monts after release, still a b*tch. This is a perfect way to get it on the road again.

But noooooooo.......

p.s. yes, RIM employees... now you have a good excuse to be in possession of weed without you knowing it. Tell the cops that and refer them to this forum I'll take the blame. Unless its mr sillyballs then please let him take the fall himself after ffing us over like this. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TheMisses; 02-17-09 at 03:09 AM.
    02-17-09 03:04 AM
    I think in addition t this some folks t using themes made with icons developed by others. Selling these themes is straight stealing imo.

Very true....
    02-17-09 03:31 AM
    RIM did this because they know that the beta release of Plazmic 4.7 is full of bugs. There have been reports of phones crashing when running themes created by this release.

I have several themes for my 8900 made with this product and two of them make my phone fall over.

Clearly RIM do not want phones crashing. Most users just blame the phone when that happens since they do not associate the crash with just a theme.

This beta is a good place to test and learn but not to use or sell imo. I am not preachng or laying down the law. I am just saying what I have read, found out and experienced and am then offering my personal opinion.
    02-17-09 03:40 AM
    Zpazmik.... Dumb *sses really don't get it do they? Plazmic = RIM right?
    So? what the F is the problem? It should be free!! It makes the almost dead storm rise from the dead again. So.... I guess they REALLY should sh*t the f*ck up or else I'm gonna send mr sillyballs a big bag of weed and call the customs on his *ss and I am not kidding!!! Greedy motherf*cking bastards should be thankfull that it promotes the storm again. NOW people are like: wow... is that the storm? COOL! All of a sudden, also due to the .106 release it is starting to become a bit more of what it should have been at release. I feel very much f*cked over by RIM so they should not have the ffing guts to start complaining now cause I will let rain down weed in ALL their pockets... and have the cops pull them over!

No, you know what? They should charge a bunch for it and lets see how long the storm will survive in its current state four monts after release, still a b*tch. This is a perfect way to get it on the road again.

But noooooooo.......

p.s. yes, RIM employees... now you have a good excuse to be in possession of weed without you knowing it. Tell the cops that and refer them to this forum I'll take the blame. Unless its mr sillyballs then please let him take the fall himself after ffing us over like this. Thanks in advance.
    Dizzamn! I don't think themes should be sold, but agreed that they (RIM) should be glad that people are actively doing something. I don't think the phone was dead, but interaction and usage will drive people to start using the device more and buying more, in my opinion. Google gives away stuff with email, browsers and storage (more or less) for free and they are a multi-billion dollar company. Granted, their product line is a little more stable than the Storm , but you don't see them hurting. RIM should allow a little freedom and leeway in regards to the development tools and focus on making the phone great. Forget the little fish that make free themes or use the software to better the community and focus on anyone illegally using their software for profit.

Dude(s) that made the Dark Knight theme or the Ring and Rise theme are bettering the community and usage of the device, so more power to them! BTW, these themes are awesome, especially the Ring and Rise.
    02-17-09 12:19 PM

I think this is one of the biggest issues I have seen ever since the theme flood gates opened...design a theme don't just cut and paste...and if you do ask permission or at least ackowledge where the icons came from.

I am an artist (painter) and I know first hand exactly what it is like to see someone else take credit for your ideas and your work. Try investing hundreds of hours into one painting only to see YOUR painting p chopped and rearranged to suit the needs of a flyer or brochure...

think about it
    02-17-09 12:59 PM

I think this is one of the biggest issues I have seen ever since the theme flood gates opened...design a theme don't just cut and paste...and if you do ask permission or at least ackowledge where the icons came from.

I am an artist (painter) and I know first hand exactly what it is like to see someone else take credit for your ideas and your work. Try investing hundreds of hours into one painting only to see YOUR painting p chopped and rearranged to suit the needs of a flyer or brochure...

think about it
    This too, has been one of my biggest pet peeves about the BB theme community; as it pertains to properly crediting both the icons and background images used within themes (free or commercial). From Apple to Microsoft to RIM to "Joe, the graphic artist", all of the designers behind those graphics deserve, at the very least, recognition and acknowledgment for their work.
    02-17-09 01:39 PM
    This too, has been one of my biggest pet peeves about the BB theme community; as it pertains to properly crediting both the icons and background images used within themes (free or commercial). From Apple to Microsoft to RIM to "Joe, the graphic artist", all of the designers behind those graphics deserve, at the very least, recognition and acknowledgment for their work.
    Screw acknowledgment only. I mean folks should get a cut if you are selling a product using other people's work. Unless you get permission to use icons developed by someone else and they say its ok for you to sell a theme using those icons, folks have no business selling themes with icons made by others.

I'm all for folks selling work that they develop but definitely feel something in my craw when icons made by others are a part of a theme being sold.
    02-17-09 09:00 PM
    whats the diff between not paying the icon maker and not paying plazmic
    02-23-09 05:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD