08-05-09 08:40 PM
26 12
tools
    More and more I consider posting no longer in this forum, in particular, as it has gotten so negative. I received a DM on twitter asking why I continue to post over here when it seems other theme makers are just going to bash you if you if its not free or its a replica theme. Here is a woman who does amazing work yet is turned off by what has been happening here recently.

The Beginning

It gained momentum with the 8700, but since RIM released the real first consumer device, the Curve 8300 back in 2007, theme popularity has skyrocketed. It was then I decided to jump in and create my own themes, starting with Cartoon on PinStack and since then, my themes have been downloaded 10s of thousand of times.
    The main reason I made my own was because there was always one little thing that I didnt like about the ones I downloaded, from fonts, to colors, to banner organization. A couple years later, here I am with a seemingly permanent smile and feeling somewhat accomplished because of the great feedback and positive words that continue to pour into my inbox or as thread replies.
    Feedback, however, is both positive and negative, yet it seems some dont understand that negative feedback doesnt have to be disrespectful. As of late I have noticed a ton of useless replies to theme postings that have nothing to do with the themes themselves. CrackBerry.com is a forum that allows its users to post anything, assuming it follows the set rules and guidelines.

Paid vs. Free

Why on Earth do you care? If you dont like it, why speak on it? Yes, I see the irony in that statement. Even the editors of this site post free and paid themes on the homepage if they are worthy of mention. Theme-makers post themes as its their right, whether for sale or free. If it is worth it to some, they will surely buy it or download it, if its not, chances are people will look and keep moving. True, not all paid themes are worth the money but not all free themes are worth the time. When there are theme-makers and other members who impede on others trying to earn a dollar or share their work, I have to take issue with it - more so when their free themes lack creativity as well.
    I have received numerous PMs asking for help and even to share some of the elements I use in my themes with no mention of it in the forums or even a thank you reply for sharing.
    There are a few editorials like this floating around, and for me to not get mentioned in any of them as one of the original theme kings (LOL J/K) makes me wonder why [some] newer members who are just now getting their first blackberry feel as though they have a right to dictate the rules of a forum they dont own or moderate. I have been a member of this site since day one and as much as I tip my hat to some of you who gained a following in such a short period of time that becomes obsolete when you prance around like you earned it over time and with great work yourself. As far as those who just comment, again, refer to the first sentence of this section.

The Question

The entire male theme vs. female theme debate is quite laughable as well but I will just leave it there. Browsing the most popular themes (based on number of replies and page views) Im missing why some are so popular. Banners are left unchanged. Meters and menus are left stock. Fonts are difficult to read. Overall theres no flow. I was one of the first to do the no-icon home screen when 4.6 first hit with the Bold. Look around, everyone is doing top and bottom banners as I started with my themes. I used circle underlays and focuses before android hit the market using the same technique. Making a theme is more than just changing the wallpaper. I ask myself about those who download free and paid themes, what are they even looking for?
    07-28-09 09:32 AM
    07-28-09 09:34 AM
    07-28-09 09:38 AM
    Triple posting-Nice!
    07-28-09 09:42 AM

Where can I get the first theme?!?!
    07-28-09 10:02 AM
    i dont get it
    07-28-09 10:07 AM
    Where can I get the 1st, 7th and 8th theme?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 10:11 AM
    I see where you're coming from. Idk if any of that is directed at me?

Either way. The themes that are more popular by posts and views are due to thread advertising and tons of spam and dupe accounts.

I try not to target anybody personally, I only think themes should be free - Why? Because premium themes do less than some free themes and use other system icons that they didn't even make. They re-sized them and change a few walls and sell. Paid theme makers say it takes them weeks to create a theme, that's what they say they charge for. I make a fully custom theme in less than 2 days and that includes work that paid themes don't even have. Mine are free. If I want a pay check, I'll get a real job.

The prancing around - I don't think I do this. Sure I rub what I have learned in a paid theme makers face. Why? Cause I can?

I asked you for a tip before I created my 1st theme - battery tip - Did I say thx? I think I did, if not, Thank you.

I'm no newbie to CB as my register date is not to far after yours. I'm def no newb to phones. I have done more with phones than most here ever will. I just go to other brands after I get bored with the current device.

Since my 1st theme, I have changed almost everything I could. Now I change more cause I learned new tricks and such.

I stopped posting in threads that are for paid themes and I don't bring down any thread anymore. For the small part that I did before, I said sorry and feel bad for doing it. I have been bashed out of no where for my theme creations and mainly just defended. Hailed to the top of the hill like a king and left the basher bashed. JK.

I have a lot of respect for you Floyd. Never meant any disrespect and I thank you for the awesome themes and the tip you offered before.

BTW: My tone is mellow and cool.
    07-28-09 10:26 AM
    i dont get it
    I'm with C. But Waldog sure must have "got it"!
    07-28-09 10:33 AM
    I'm with C. But Waldog sure must have "got it"!
    maybe he has a gibberish translator?
    07-28-09 10:40 AM
    As much as I agree with Floyd, nothing anyone says is going to change the current perspective of free vs. paid. I'm also pretty sure that this trend is going to spread to other forums pretty quickly too, especially when you have theme makers putting out premium quality themes for free. Honestly though I think things have gotten much better on this forum recently, but it could just be because not many premium themes are being released right now.

By the way, your themes are pretty tight as well. Seems like most of them are for the bold, any plans to port them over to the 8900?
    07-28-09 10:47 AM
    I think people get offended too easily. Panites in a knot is more like it. Its the internet. Take it with a grain of salt.
    07-28-09 10:53 AM
    maybe he has a gibberish translator?
    I think that I saw Billy Mays selling those one time.
    07-28-09 10:55 AM
    ...If I want a pay check, I'll get a real job...
    Im pretty sure graphic design and composition is a real job, and from what I've heard, it pays well.

People think "Omg, your a THEME MAKER? Great JOB"...No, Im not a THEME MAKER, Im a graphic designer.

Websites, images, posters, advertisements, logos, box art, cd covers....and yes, THEMES.
    Last edited by kdjayo; 07-28-09 at 11:01 AM.
    07-28-09 10:59 AM
    I say stop the insanity.
    There are thousands of free ones to choose from.
    Some good some bad. And if you can't find a free one to fit your needs and have to pay for a premium one
    ur still not going to be happy your still going to be looking for the next best thing. If I was going to pay 6 and
    7 dollars for a theme it would be exactly what I wanted it to be and if it wasn't who's to blame for the waste of money.
    Just my take on this.
    Oh and could someone explain to me what makes premium themes premium.
    Is it because of the amount of hours that went into it to make it. If that's the case my very first theme must be worth millions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Bwahaha; 07-28-09 at 12:26 PM.
    07-28-09 12:08 PM
    i dont get it
    Triple posting-Nice!
    Perfect examples of the useless replies I was referring to. And these are grown, adult men. Shame.

Thanks for helping my point, though.
    Last edited by DearFloyd; 07-28-09 at 12:34 PM.
    07-28-09 12:09 PM
    I'm more of a user, but I understand both sides. The only issue I would have for paid themes is them not working...and maybe if they're being sold from FREE icons. I feel if you're going to sell themes you should have some time invested in creating themes...pricing reflects quality IMO.

I appreciate the ones that part hard honest work into a good looking and working them...props to Floyd..add him on Twitter btw!

It's ok to express ya opinion...just do it in respectable way...I'm sure everyone can agree to that one.
    07-28-09 02:06 PM
    Personally i find no problems with paid or free themes. Both have their place in this world.

Without either, there will be no competition, theme makers will get complacent and lazy; the users will get crap theme.

For example (just a general example; doesn't refer to all):

"Premium" Theme makers tends to be more service oriented because they make a buck out of it and there are many free themes out there and free-theme makers who listen. Competition. So they must be. It's good for the consumer.

Free theme makers can have the take-it-or-leave-it policy because it's free and because there are paid premium themes around.

- It's good for free-theme makers (who get a peace of mind),
    - It's good for consumer (because the theme is free),
    - It's bad for consumer (because there is no request policy etc),
    - It's good for premium theme makers (because there still a market for them because of the free-theme makers' policy),
    - Its good for consumer because they have a choice etc.

(sorry if i get you lost here)

Ultimately, it's a choice. And to me; having more than a choice is good.

Neither should be sore about the other but see each other as a example and motivation to better their products. With competition from each other, the market will then expand.

If there is only one without the other. The blackberry market will lose vibrancy.

- If all themes have to pay; BAD.
    - If all themes are free but no customisation options, crap themes or have a take-it-or-leave-it-because-it's-free policy; BAD.
    - Consumer will dump blackberry for the iphone or others because of lack of theme/app options; BAD.

I for one, am a newbie to Blackberry. When I got my curve 8900, I knew I wanted to customize it with a cool theme. I scoured the net for nice themes and the nicest belongs to someone who made it for free but for the BOLD.

I wanted to pay for him to convert to 8900 but he want to hear nothing of it. I would had settled on a free theme but the maker push me away. I was pulled by the premium theme which I nearly bought. Although later I decided to build one myself and share it BUT the thing is I had a choice and I like it.

In my previous work environment, I have many talented graphic designers, creative director, layout artist who designs anything and everything for fun in their free time and make a side-living out of it. That's usually how graphic designers make their living. Doing what they like and make some money at the same time.

I seriously sees nothing wrong with earning a living through this making premium theme business as i see it as a form of respectable vocation.

Forms of advertising and self-marketing are a norm in the noisy world to survive. Just keep to the rules.

If you have to speak your mind, it's your choice. Respect each other's dignity, space and right to exist and the message will be sent across. If not, it's just noise and sows discord.

To each his own.

Don't like it, don't get it. Free or Premium.

My humble opinion.
    07-28-09 02:28 PM
    It's ok to express ya opinion...just do it in respectable way...I'm sure everyone can agree to that one.
    Personally i find no problems with paid or free themes.

If you have to speak your mind, it's your choice. Respect each other's dignity, space and right to exist and the message will be sent across. If not, it's just noise and sows discord.

To each his own.

Don't like it, don't get it. Free or Premium.

My humble opinion.
    Both you guys get it. Its just a respect issue.
    07-28-09 07:50 PM
    Both you guys get it. Its just a respect issue.
    So I guess non of us others get it? Oh, well.
    07-28-09 07:56 PM
    So I guess non of us others get it? Oh, well.
    I respect you and I respect your work.
    07-28-09 10:27 PM
    I agree with you that the forum is very negative.
    I made a topic in the iphone forum regarding why it's better (my opinion, and I mentione dit was my opinion many times) to buy the 3G and save hundreds then by the 3GS and waste hundreds and it was nothing but a flame war. A helpful topic turned into a war of words and insults.
    Same goes for themes now as well.
    "Why would you charge so much?" "Ridiculous price." and the list goes on.
    This is a great forum and I try to do my part in contributing free things but even I'm kind of burned out.
    Not enough thank yous and too many f yous.
    07-29-09 04:51 AM
    We luv you Floyd. I just wish dudes would stop going shirtless on their avatars. I know off-topic sorry.
    07-29-09 06:44 AM
    Perfect examples of the useless replies I was referring to. And these are grown, adult men. Shame.

Thanks for helping my point, though.
    Shame on you for digging this tired *** subject out of the grave. Everyone has been getting along on here just fine recently(well until today at least). And if you can't take the random off-topic post in a thread, then loosen up a bit.
    07-29-09 01:11 PM
    Shame on you for digging this tired *** subject out of the grave. Everyone has been getting along on here just fine recently(well until today at least). And if you can't take the random off-topic post in a thread, then loosen up a bit.
    Actually everyone hasn't been getting along, hence the reason for my post. Spend less time paying other males attention and more time making your themes a tad more creative buddy. The issue wasn't dead, but you are to me. Your post is yet again useless. I said my peace now lets move on.
    07-29-09 04:40 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD