View Poll Results: Stop the bad developers!

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shut them down !

12 60.00%
  • Agree 110%

6 30.00%
  • Don't mind it

1 5.00%
  • Disagree

1 5.00%
    Ok this has been an issue for awhile now. If any developer is trying to sell a theme built only with a background stop the madness!! You cannot call yourself a developer by ripping people off by craeting a theme with just a wallpaper then trying to sell it from .99 to 4.99. This is just plain stupid and flooding Crackberry with crap that you call an application.

If you are one of the many that have baught such a theme do your research. You're paying for something you can do yourself. Simply just google an image you like save it to your phone then set your wallpaper. That's all they do when they post these. Alot of real developers go out of their way and take the time to develop rich content.

Support the real developers and stop the insanity of people trying to sell wallpapers as applications.

This is to help all of the real developers and customers to keep Crackberry fresh and full of good content.

Please reply with your feedback good or bad and keep it going thanks!
    Last edited by Jodak; 04-26-10 at 06:09 PM.
    04-26-10 05:58 PM
    I think some of the theme developers do this!!
    Changing the background & saying it a theme!!

Even I am a developer....
    U can change many things in a so called theme....
    The backgrounds, Battery & Signal meters, Fonts, Icons, Banner, & many many more!!
    Changing Icons in every theme may look confusing & improper but the battery & signal meters can be customized according to the theme concept.

Anyways, changing just a single background, calling it a theme & charging 0.99 to 4.99 is definitely cheating!!

Please stop this!!! Nice informative forum thread!! Keep goin
    04-27-10 05:24 AM
    I think the worst part of this is the fact that blackberry app world itself is full of this, of all places rim let's them through and allows them to charge money. It is ridiculous and I am utterly sick of it.
    I think this should turn into a thread of the "company's/developers" that do this so people know not to waste their money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 01:44 AM
    I think the worst part of this is the fact that blackberry app world itself is full of this, of all places rim let's them through and allows them to charge money. It is ridiculous and I am utterly sick of it.
    I think this should turn into a thread of the "company's/developers" that do this so people know not to waste their money.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If we can keep this message going we might make a difference so anyone that comes across this post please leave your comments on this issue. Help fight off the bad developers..
    04-28-10 01:49 AM
    Yeah!! Way to go!! The RIM should have some strict restrictions on approvals of the themes. In just 5 odd months, they have approved around 1600 themes in Appworld. Many of the ones are just a background change. One single background in all screens & thats it!! A theme is done.... & the worst part is that they would charge it at 5.99 USD!!!
    This will in turn spoil the themes which good developers do!!

Lets keep it going!!
    04-28-10 02:00 AM
    Yeah!! Way to go!! The RIM should have some strict restrictions on approvals of the themes. In just 5 odd months, they have approved around 1600 themes in App world. Many of the ones are just a background change. One single background in all screens & that's it!! A theme is done.... & the worst part is that they would charge it at 5.99 USD!!!
    This will in turn spoil the themes which good developers do!!

Lets keep it going!!
    That's exactly it, why let them ruin it for the rest of us that work extremely hard on developing theme's with the best intentions. Also lets not forget to mention building themes that the average person just can't do. I've been developing these apps for a few years and when I see the newbies come in and try ruin things for the rest of us its time to take a stand.

I cannot urge enough the severity of this issue and I have already sent feedback and suggestions but they didn't seem to acknowledge that this is a huge problem that needs stopped.

We need lots of people to back this thread in order to possibly get this to change otherwise it will continue and get worse causing others to lose interest in all of our production.

I'm one of the good developers with DOADesigns.
    Feel free to check out my collection and rate my app designs.
    Keyword "DOADesigns"
    04-28-10 02:46 AM
    Shouldn't be allowed, in my eyes it's like "spam".
    04-30-10 04:30 PM
    I actually don't mind it. I mean, in any case, before purchasing anything you should at least know what you are paying for. True, themes, or wallpapers, shouldn't be selling for that much if no work was put into it. I really appreciate the fact that a lot of themers make great looking themes for free or for donation. These are the themes I look for. Not the orange background on the default theme. Just be careful next time you buy something. The reason these people can do this sort of thing is because there's always someone willing to (unknowingly) purchase such themes.
    Just be careful.

Edit- Just as a side note, I think all themes should be free or cheap, mainly because I came from a Nokia n85 and that had a TON of themes, as well as SE and other Nokias (s60, s40, s60 touch). I mean a really great theme would be worth the 3 or 4 bucks, heck, even 5, but more than that?? No way. Everything made for BB's is really expensive. Not good knowing there are other alternatives with cheaper (in some cases better) apps and stuff available.
    That said, each and everyone of us knows what we do with our phones, money and life.
    Last edited by JRF_8520; 05-08-10 at 09:33 PM.
    05-08-10 09:29 PM
    +1 for the OP...

I concur!
    05-08-10 09:41 PM
    Seeing "themes" like that got me off my **** and started selling the themes i put a lot of work into. I still make freebies here and there, but when i spend 2 to 3 weeks of seriously editing, creating and testing a theme, selling it for 4 bucks or less(one is six cause that one took me 2 months!) and then seeing one selling for 7 and the only thing changed is the wallpaper, it sometimes discourages me. And then motivates me to make better what ive already made. Props to the OP on bringing this issue forward!
    05-18-10 06:37 AM
    I agree 100 % with the OP. A couple months ago I saw a Iron Eagle theme that was not listed as Premium, but the "creator" demanded a donation before sending a link to the OTA. When I went to the blog the "creator" listed in his signature, he was blatantly boasting about how he discovered Plazmic and was now selling themes and making a lot of money real easy. I remember him stating that he could make a theme in less than 30 minutes.

Bottom feeders like this individual should be banned from sites like this.

I've also challenged the moderators to clean up the themes section by deleting posts that don't list their themes as Premium or Free, as the Crackberry rules require, however, none of the moderators have stepped up and started enforcing this requirement.

Nothing worse than seeing a great theme that isn't listed as Premium, then get to the bottom of the post and see that it costs money. I don't care how great the theme is, if it's not listed according to the rules-I won't buy it.

Don't get me wrong, I've bought several themes from the top developers, including Z Man Designs (Transitions is awesome!), Hedone Designs (Win 7), and AG Designs and Graphics LLC (Reflect Carbon 7). IMO these types of themes are Premium, and the artists who created them were proud to list them as Premium.
    05-20-10 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD