Okay I see some beautiful themes in here and would love to get my hands on em!

But I'm confused about how to do this...do I install the cd that came with the phone and plug the usb cord into and just download the file the theme is in and transfer it to themes folder of my blackberry and choose that when I go into it?

I got a blackberry curve 8320 for T-mobile.

But i see that there is ones called Today, Zen, Plus, etc..

Which one is the one I use? Any help would be greatly appreciated, once I get it down i should be good to go.
    09-27-08 09:29 AM
    If you go to Options- Theme and scroll through the available themes, you'll see BB Dimension Today, Icon, and Zen. These are the 3 basic themes that custom themes are built upon. Zen has icons going up the left side of your homescreen, these are customized by moving the applications around on the main apps screen (press the bb key to the left of the trackball). To move icons, go to the main apps screen, press the bb key, and you'll see an option to move the icon. Press that, use the trackball to move it where you want it, press the trackball to place the icon in the location that you want it. Icon themes just have the basic apps screen, you can rearrange the icons here too. Today themes usually list Messages, Calendar, and Call Log. These cannot be moved on the phone, but the main apps screen can be changed around.

There are 2 different ways to install a theme. One is OTA (over the air) and these are installed by going to the theme on your bb, I often email myself the link. The second way is through DM (desktop manager). You can use the cd that came with the phone, or you can search this site for links to the newer version of dm. Install dm like you would any other program. When you find a theme that you like, if it has a zip file, download the zip file and save it in a location that you'll remember like your desktop. Unzip the file. Plug your phone in to your pc, start desktop manager. When it connects to the phone, run Application Loader. Go through a couple of screens, you'll come to a screen that lists apps for your bb. At the top, you'll see Add, click on that, find the theme file that you want, hit ok. Hit next, it will show you what apps are being deleted, upgraded or added, hit next again and the install on your phone will start. Then app loader says it's done, hit finish, give your bb a min or 2 to start up, go to options- theme, select the one you want.

Hope this helped and I hope it wasn't too much info lol!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-08 10:49 AM
    Also, .alx and .cod are both needed for dm installation, .jad is for OTA. The custom themes and today plus themes that you see are modifications made with Theme Builder. Bottom dock themes and today plus themes can't rearrange the homescreen icons like you can with a zen theme.

09-27-08 10:54 AM
    If you go to Options- Theme and scroll through the available themes, you'll see BB Dimension Today, Icon, and Zen. These are the 3 basic themes that custom themes are built upon. Zen has icons going up the left side of your homescreen, these are customized by moving the applications around on the main apps screen (press the bb key to the left of the trackball). To move icons, go to the main apps screen, press the bb key, and you'll see an option to move the icon. Press that, use the trackball to move it where you want it, press the trackball to place the icon in the location that you want it. Icon themes just have the basic apps screen, you can rearrange the icons here too. Today themes usually list Messages, Calendar, and Call Log. These cannot be moved on the phone, but the main apps screen can be changed around.

There are 2 different ways to install a theme. One is OTA (over the air) and these are installed by going to the theme on your bb, I often email myself the link. The second way is through DM (desktop manager). You can use the cd that came with the phone, or you can search this site for links to the newer version of dm. Install dm like you would any other program. When you find a theme that you like, if it has a zip file, download the zip file and save it in a location that you'll remember like your desktop. Unzip the file. Plug your phone in to your pc, start desktop manager. When it connects to the phone, run Application Loader. Go through a couple of screens, you'll come to a screen that lists apps for your bb. At the top, you'll see Add, click on that, find the theme file that you want, hit ok. Hit next, it will show you what apps are being deleted, upgraded or added, hit next again and the install on your phone will start. Then app loader says it's done, hit finish, give your bb a min or 2 to start up, go to options- theme, select the one you want.

Hope this helped and I hope it wasn't too much info lol!

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it alot, that perfectly makes sense, Im good with computers I've had the Blackberry for a Year, but didn't know you could do all this, I know exactly what your talking about, and I like the OTA even though i dont have the internet, so i might have to do unzip it on the desktop and go from there.

Thanks alot man, that sure helps.
    09-27-08 11:03 AM
    Also, .alx and .cod are both needed for dm installation, .jad is for OTA. The custom themes and today plus themes that you see are modifications made with Theme Builder. Bottom dock themes and today plus themes can't rearrange the homescreen icons like you can with a zen theme.

CAn you download these?

And exactly what link do you need for the email?
    09-27-08 11:39 AM
    No problem, I put a lot of info because I didn't know how you are with computers. By emailing myself the link, let's say I'm browsing the web on my pc and I see a theme that's ota download only. I can copy the link and send myself an email to one of the addresses that goes to my bb. That way I just get an email with the direct link to the theme, instead of having to find it again on my bb. You would need a data plan to do it this way unless you like extra charges on your bill LOL.

For the Theme Builder, go to [ plazmic ] and it'll tell you what to download. It also gives you sample themes to load so that you can play around with it. If you need help with downloading or using theme builder, you can post back here. There's also threads here on crackberry and all over the internet that can guide you.

09-27-08 12:23 PM
    I downloaded the free 8300 theme from Tramix84 and I went to application loader and added it, but I got a error saying there is an XML syntax error on line 1.

Whats that about and how do I go about fixing it so I can get the theme on my phone? I believe I updated the Black Berry Desktop to version 4.3 but still no luck on getting the theme on there because I can't do OTA cause I dont have the 9.99 plan.

Any one know what i need to do?
    09-28-08 11:54 AM
    okay, if you download for your desktop, you are going to have to keep the zip file open when you click browse on the app loader. drag BOTH files from the zip files into the folder where the BROWSE button on the apploader takes you. they should automatically become one file. THEN select from apploader, and load em on to your BB.

Today themes have a summary of your first few messages, new phone calls, and calendar appointments. i hate these themes. i never use calendar and almost always check messages instantly.

ZEN themes show a certain number of icons on the right hand side of the screen, allowing you to see all other icons by pressing the menu button.

ICON themes show all your icons on the home screen, no flashy stuff.
    09-29-08 06:51 PM
    I have .jad files on my pc (these are themes I downloaded). How do I get them on my BB??? The app loader doesn't recognize them. Please help.
    10-29-08 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD