It has been brought to my attention that a website, )*&#EQIUASR)(*&, is lifting theme files from servers and hosting them on its own website, without permission from the theme authors. It did so to my theme, Hypaereon.

The files are copied from whatever servers are hosting them from here and moved to its own servers and the original theme posts are copied verbatim to the blog with no credit given to anyone who worked on the theme. There is no trail that leads back here and no contact info on the site.

I am posting this to let everyone be aware that your themes are not secure and if you value your intellectual property, beware of this site.
    Last edited by Hyperplex; 11-04-09 at 12:35 PM.
    10-23-09 09:41 PM
    Here is the fine print on the Reverie Free theme...

"The following images were generously provided by crackberry.com forum members. If you own a copyright to any of these images, you may request their removal."

Red Zapper themes are shown credit to Red Zapper. Perhaps, this blog exists to raise awareness of your themes and other themes to non-Crackberry BB users. Just a thought. I never heard of the blog before you called attention to it, I wonder how many other CB users have known about it either. On the blog in question, I saw Precison Rotunda, Red Zapper's NY Yankess Theme, the Reverie Free Theme, and a few others I haven't seen on the forums yet. I also saw links to donate, so I hope those links are going to the developer and not the blogger. That would be a big copyright infringement if they are taking the donation!
    10-23-09 10:37 PM
    There is definitely no credit given to me for my theme, the files were downloaded from my own server and uploaded to the blog's server and there was no contact made by the blog owner to me to ask permission to host or advertise my theme. I never gave permission.

The owner obviously manually downloaded my .cod & .jad files and uploaded them to the blog's server.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-09 10:42 PM
    this may sound like a dumb question, but what does the creator of this site gain? wouldnt 99% of the people get themes from CB or am i being closed minded?

Either way the site creator is a scummer!!!!!
    I would not even know where to begin making a theme, yet i love 'em so thanks everyone who makes them.
    10-23-09 11:26 PM
    Here is the fine print on the Reverie Free theme...

"The following images were generously provided by crackberry.com forum members. If you own a copyright to any of these images, you may request their removal."
    That is because it says that word for word in the original forum post. The blogger is copying the forum posts word for word on to his/her blog.

Red Zapper themes are shown credit to Red Zapper.
    That is most likey because it says "Red Zapper" somewhere in the original post.

I had heard that emarsha made her blog private because someone stole one of her themes. Now I'm assuming that it was because of this blog. Her Breast Cancer Awareness theme is on this blog. She left a comment stating that it is hers and for the blog owner to remove it immediately (on the 14th) and it is still there. I highly doubt this blogger has the permission of these theme developers to post their themes.

It is wrong of this person to do so. A lot of time and effort goes into creating themes, especially the really good ones. I know I'd be pissed if I saw one of mine on there.

10-23-09 11:55 PM
    When I made my theme and decided to share it with CrackBerry, I was skeptical of what the response would be because I made the theme for myself and didn't customize it. The response was overwhelmingly positive and I was floored by how many people liked the theme and chose to say so in my threads. It gave me a huge feeling of pride in my own work and satisfaction that so many people found use of my theme. I have even begun thoughts for a new version of Hypaereon.

But seeing my work lifted, uncredited and without permission, makes me think twice about sharing my work. I have no lack of faith in the CB community at all, but as they say, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. I don't know how I feel about posting new work now. I have doublechecked my server's .htaccess file to make sure directory access is denied, but is that enough?

I hate when one individual stains it for so many.

10-24-09 11:28 AM
    Unfortunately it happens more than you know. There is one foreign (chinese I think. Or japanese) site where they offer paid themes but attach them to the post for free. So you can click the buy link and it goes to the site, or you can download it free from the attachment. very confusing. I don't think they know the site they link is a theme store since it's english. Who knows.
    There were premium themes from here, free themes from here.. I even found the only theme I've ever posted was on the site lol. Of course no link back to CB but at least they liked my theme enough to repost lol

10-29-09 12:39 AM
    That is because it says that word for word in the original forum post. The blogger is copying the forum posts word for word on to his/her blog.

That is most likey because it says "Red Zapper" somewhere in the original post.

I had heard that emarsha made her blog private because someone stole one of her themes. Now I'm assuming that it was because of this blog. Her Breast Cancer Awareness theme is on this blog. She left a comment stating that it is hers and for the blog owner to remove it immediately (on the 14th) and it is still there. I highly doubt this blogger has the permission of these theme developers to post their themes.

It is wrong of this person to do so. A lot of time and effort goes into creating themes, especially the really good ones. I know I'd be pissed if I saw one of mine on there.

You're right - it was this person who stole emarsha's theme (and others) and what made her make her blog private. This **** just randomly "collects" other people's themes and posts them on his site without credit to any of the developers.

I think it's terrible that he's doing this, but I wouldn't post his name or the name of his blog here, it's just giving him more hits on his site.

I'm pretty sure that mrtolles (who also had a theme stolen from his blog) contacted as many of the original themers that he could by PM and let them know what was happening.
    10-29-09 11:51 AM
    I was trying to promote awareness. I've contacted the user responsible and he has removed my theme from the site. I wonder how long before my newest shows up there.
    10-29-09 05:10 PM
    This guy has three of my themes on there, but he contacted me about the windows theme and that's it..he still didn't give credit to me and when i post here, i don't put my name bc people can see my user name..what can we do?

10-30-09 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD