Hello Everyone! I was curious if maybe anyone could help me... I tried removing all the stock themes off of my 8830 WE as i only use the L Theme and my IVista theme... however after reading the Blog Kevin posted a week or so ago about freeing up memory as well as all the other threads in regards to this matter I noticed that there are 2 of the Theme.cod files that cannot be deleted to enable basic operation...(please correct me if im wrong) well I thought I deleted the correct ones but after updating my devide only my L theme and Zen theme were showing up...No Ivista ... so i went into my recycle bin and Restored all the Theme files again and did another update to the device and of course every thing was back up and running.... so i still want to delete the un-necessary themes but was wondering if anyone thats familiar with the process could help explain which exact files i should and should not delete.... I have a VZW 8830 WE... Thanks in Advance!!
    06-05-08 05:28 PM
    I don't think you can as that would require deleting one or more of the bbdimension themes, which should not be removed. I did that twice and it was not good. I don't use the recycle bin.

FWIW, VZW's vendor ID is 105. So you can delete all the net_rim_theme_... that have a number other than 105.

And please
    06-05-08 05:45 PM
    I don't think you can as that would require deleting one or more of the bbdimension themes, which should not be removed. I did that twice and it was not good. I don't use the recycle bin.

FWIW, VZW's vendor ID is 105. So you can delete all the net_rim_theme_... that have a number other than 105.

And please
    Thank you AG your always sooo helpful! ill try that out
    06-05-08 05:48 PM
    I deleted everything but these 3 stock themes:
    net_rim_theme_bbdemension_icon_320x240
    net_rim_theme_bbdemension_today_320x240
    net_rim_theme_bbdemension_zen_320x240
    but thats for the curve. I hope this helps.
    I even deleted the AT&T theme (vendor code102) since it used up the most memory.
    06-05-08 05:48 PM
    You dont have to be concerned about the themes with different vendor ID numbers. They are bypassed during the build process, just like the languages not selected by the device.

i only use the L Theme and my IVista theme...
    The Demensions Zen theme is required by the OS. If Demensions L is desirable, it only cost a few hundred Kb.

That leaves Demensions Icon and Demension Today can be deleted.

Vendor themes and components are also on the hit list. In my guide, I chose to leave them installed. If you are confidant you can do without Fav5s or AT&T stuff, go for it.
    06-05-08 07:12 PM
    Stoner, I just read your thread (fancy that). I always worked from the other.

The themes are generally as follows:

Theme .cod's are listed as:
    net_rim_theme_100...
    net_rim_theme_102a... etc.

The numbers below are the vendor ID's for each carrier and will help you identify which themes are which.

You can safely delete any of the below vendor-numbered themes. The size listed is an average size for that carrier's theme. As you can see a couple of them are quite big.
    100=Tmobile 240kb
    102=AT&T 769kb
    104=Sprint 17kb
    105=Verizon 572kb
    107=Rogers 287kb
    109=Bell 194kb
    114=TMo UK 243kb
    115=TIM 698kb
    119=Orange 635kb
    120=Vodafone 624kb
    125=O2 349kb
    129=Telefonica 30kb

TMo MyFaves apps will be automatically loaded with this edit. However, you can also safely delete TMo myfaves apps if you don't use myfaves (Note: If you are not using MyFaves then I highly recommend removing the myfaves modules, especially if you are using a CDMA device (8130, 8830, 8330, etc.) as having those apps installed will cause booting errors on your device. We've edited the Blackberry.alx file to add them so if you want/need the MyFaves, leave the cod's in the java folder. If not, move the following MyFaves .cod's in your Removed Modules folder:

net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_bb_media_114_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod

Note: I don't recommend removing the bbdimension. and dimension zen themes as some of the above themes need these in order to run.

Edit: If you'd like to just use the Dimension zen theme you can safely remove the bbdimension icon, bbdimension L, and bbdimension today. I, personally, just TMo Zen so I the only themes I have installed are the bbdimension zen, and TMobile Zen. Everything else is removed.

Note: Be careful when removing a theme that might be in use. If you remove a theme that is currently in use your BB will boot up to a black and white screen with basic icons. (This is what I did wrong)

If this happens, simply navigate to the swiss army knife icon (options or settings) and then scroll down to themes and select a theme. Your BB doesn't know what theme to use if you delete the one it's using so it boots with the basic default theme included with the OS.

Thanks for the heads up. And great job on that, I have it as a bookmark now.

And RE Pro - sorry if I took you in an unecessary direction
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-05-08 at 07:50 PM.
    06-05-08 07:47 PM
    (This is what I did wrong)
    Me too.
    06-05-08 08:00 PM
    Me too.
    seems like a common mistake i did the exact same thing wrong lol....thanks for the helpful info both you guys.
    06-26-08 02:51 PM
    @ RealEstatePro... I think the iVista Them needs the BBToday theme to work properly. If you deleted that to help free up space, then that could be part of the problem. As everyone else stated, you should be fine deleting everything else!
    06-26-08 02:57 PM
    old thread but I figured I would bump it.....getting rid of the BBtoday theme deletes all third party themes from the device.....even if you reinstall the third party theme it will appear in the app list but not as a choice under themes.
    02-02-10 08:25 AM
    and I can't get them back after a device wipe...
    02-02-10 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD