06-23-09 04:04 PM
45 12
tools
    Hi Kids,

So I'm browsing through themes4bb (which is an amazing site) And I'm looking at all the novices creating some really nice themes!

So I'm getting this rush of excitement () while actually contemplating making some themes myself...Then I look at all the programs you need to download and I hesitate.

So I have these questions...

How many of you make your own themes?

Is it worth it? Or easier to DL them from a site like themes4bb?

How many themes do you keep on your BB at one time?
    11-25-08 02:59 PM
    Making themes is not easy, that is why there is only so many people who do it, it is an art of sorts...
    11-25-08 03:01 PM
    Making themes is not easy, that is why there is only so many people who do it, it is an art of sorts...
    They make it seem so easy...it's puzzling. Only because there are new people on themes4bb who say this is their very first theme and its a mindblower...
    11-25-08 03:06 PM
    I test themes for a friend of mine who is quite popular here and I can tell you it takes time and patience...
    11-25-08 03:09 PM
    I make my own. I'm picky, I like it simple and clean and to my own specifications.
    It does take a lot patience and intuitiveness. I played around with the apps, read thru a good deal of threads and with the folks from Themes4bb's help, I was able to post a few of my first themes there last year this time.
    Of course if I see a theme that I like thats right I will try it out..
    11-25-08 03:16 PM
    I make my own. I'm picky, I like it simple and clean and to my own specifications.
    It does take a lot patience and intuitiveness. I played around with the apps, read thru a good deal of threads and with the folks from Themes4bb's help, I was able to post a few of my first themes there last year this time.
    Of course if I see a theme that I like thats right I will try it out..
    I know Etheral...I saw some of your beautiful themes on themes4bb. I saw your picture and I was like whoa...Where have a seen that girl before?

You do some very nice work.

I understand making a theme takes patience I guess I'm just wondering how these new people are saying they are pushing out quality themes in 10-15 minutes.

:sigh:
    11-25-08 03:49 PM
    it took a whole sunday afternoon/evening for myself to make my first theme, ironing out some problems and learning the applications (theme builder). Only reason i started making my own themes is that some niche's haven't been filled and is hard to find alot of themes of certain niche's. So its not impossible to learn but just takes some patience and time.
    11-25-08 04:20 PM
    it took a whole sunday afternoon/evening for myself to make my first theme, ironing out some problems and learning the applications (theme builder). Only reason i started making my own themes is that some niche's haven't been filled and is hard to find alot of themes of certain niche's. So its not impossible to learn but just takes some patience and time.
    That's good to know. And to think when I first got my curve I wasted almost $200 buying themes I didn't use because I really wasn't into them! Then I go on these free theme websites and I've fallin in love with most of them!

I think I may find someone to do a custom theme and leave it at that...

But you guys haven't said how many themes you carry around at once on your BB...
    11-25-08 04:36 PM
    i personally only have the 2 deafult themes and 1 additional one. as far as im aware the theme sizes are really small (one i made was only 200k) so depends how much memory you have on your blackberry, my BOLD has 1 gig default so that hundreds of themes that can be stored and switched at any given time. Not sure how much memory storage the curve has but i would assume you can store at least 10 + easily.

cheers.
    11-25-08 04:51 PM
    As stated above, making quality themes takes time and patience, which not everyone has...

As for how many themes I have on my BB... 8 ...and that's including the 4 factory themes that came with OS 4.5. The four other themes are 'homegrown' (from my premium theme series) which average 350k in there size.

Oh, and the Curve's on-board memory is no where near as large as the Bold's...so storing 10 themes (plus other 3rd party apps) would be putting some serious strain on your available memory and the overall performance of your phone.
    11-25-08 05:02 PM
    Making my own has danced thru my head a time or 2! But as stated above themes4bb has some very talented theme makers!!! I also have 1 theme of just smoothie icons(themes4bb) that I use with dif wallpapers! I have 4 right now I can't part with. I'm a true fanatic, it gives me a thrill to find new themes, wallpapers I like!! Soooo hooked!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 05:17 PM
    I only make my own now. I am pretty picky about how it needs to look, and to be honest, some of the stuff on themes4bb just doesn't meet my standards. Cluttered screens, illegible incoming call screens, busy main screens, icons that blend in with the wallpaper, just too much going on at one time.

Once you download everything you need, and get Plazmic figured out, it is not that bad. Finding all of the stuff you want to use can be a challenge, as most themers don't share their icons, bars, meters, etc. There is free stuff out there, you just have to search.

You will want to download a photo editing program to resize your icons. Photoshop or GIMP will work fine. GIMP is free. Paint.net is another one.

Give it a shot, and if you find that you cannot do it, then download them that others make.

As for themes, I carry the stock ones, plus the one that I created.
    11-25-08 05:54 PM
    I agree that theme design and creation takes time and alot of patience. I for one use only 1 theme on my BB and it is one I created out of necessity. I looked for "the right theme" and tried a bunch and didn't like them, like HF said, alot of them were just too busy, so I downloaded the software, tried alot of different theme styles and colors and finally came up with one that works for me and it is all I use. After I got the theme design software sort of figured out, I started making freebie themes for something to do while recovering from an injury, now it is my 9 to 5 (or 10 to 2 or whenever I want). Most of my themes are simplistic and easy on the eyes just the way I like mine. I would say if you have the time and desire to try to make your own themes, then why not go for it. The software is free, there are alot of freebie icons and wallpapers, the only thing it would cost you is your time. Good luck.

Tim
    11-25-08 06:17 PM
    As stated above, making quality themes takes time and patience, which not everyone has...

As for how many themes I have on my BB... 8 ...and that's including the 4 factory themes that came with OS 4.5. The four other themes are 'homegrown' (from my premium theme series) which average 350k in there size.

Oh, and the Curve's on-board memory is no where near as large as the Bold's...so storing 10 themes (plus other 3rd party apps) would be putting some serious strain on your available memory and the overall performance of your phone.
    That's exactly what I was worried about...

Can you tell me how to check the available memory on my device and not my memory card?
    11-26-08 06:05 PM
    There are two ways that I know of to check free device memory:

1) Options>Status ...it's best to check this after doing a reboot/battery pull, so you can see how much actual free memory you have prior to starting any apps. Then check back later, to see how far it may or may not drop, after using said apps. You really don't want to be anywhere below 10000000 bytes (10MB), lag and random messages/contacts deletions may occur if you let your memory get too low.

2) Alt+Shift+H ...will bring up 'Help Me!', basically a quick list of your system stats.
    11-26-08 06:33 PM
    There are two ways that I know of to check free device memory:

1) Options>Status ...it's best to check this after doing a reboot/battery pull, so you can see how much actual free memory you have prior to starting any apps. Then check back later, to see how far it may or may not drop, after using said apps. You really don't want to be anywhere below 10000000 bytes (10MB), lag and random messages/contacts deletions may occur if you let your memory get too low.

2) Alt+Shift+H ...will bring up 'Help Me!', basically a quick list of your system stats.
    Thanks bette...

That was so helpful because I didn't know how many byes I needed for my memory. Thanks a bunch...

The one problem is that when I do a battery pull my BB messenger goes haywire and pulls up this screen...

I talked to a few 'Geniuses' and they don't know what it is and have never seen it before?

Have you?
    11-26-08 07:42 PM
    I can't see the image, it's giving me the 'This Image or Video has been moved or deleted' message from Photobucket.

Although, I've never heard of a battery pull causing malfunctions with BBM, sorry.

Nonetheless, another method for rebooting your phone that doesn't require removing the battery is pressing: Alt+Right Shift+Delete ...you may need to do this twice in order for a full reboot (hourglass screen) to take place.
    11-26-08 08:22 PM
    I can't see the image, it's giving me the 'This Image or Video has been moved or deleted' message from Photobucket.

Although, I've never heard of a battery pull causing malfunctions with BBM, sorry.

Nonetheless, another method for rebooting your phone that doesn't require removing the battery is pressing: Alt+Right Shift+Delete ...you may need to do this twice in order for a full reboot (hourglass screen) to take place.
    Hello Bette,

I hope this shows up...I'm referring to the Pending Pin Confirmation...

11-26-08 09:43 PM
    hmm...No, I can't say that I've ever seen that pop up in BBM...weird. Sorry I couldn't help you more with this matter.

Nonetheless, have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    11-26-08 10:43 PM
    Thanks for trying...that is Bizarre! No one has seen this except for me!

Beautiful themes by the way....
    11-26-08 11:53 PM
    You're welcome...and thank you for kind remarks about my themes.

Cheers.
    11-27-08 12:26 AM
    Hi Kids,

So I'm browsing through themes4bb (which is an amazing site) And I'm looking at all the novices creating some really nice themes!

So I'm getting this rush of excitement () while actually contemplating making some themes myself...Then I look at all the programs you need to download and I hesitate.

So I have these questions...

How many of you make your own themes?

Is it worth it? Or easier to DL them from a site like themes4bb?

How many themes do you keep on your BB at one time?
    I personally think the hardest part is downloading all of the apps. I've designed my first theme a few weeks ago, and found it to be quite easy. Check em out at Cool Custom Blackberry Themes. If you like, I'll give you my my theme files so that you can play with them and design to your taste.
    11-27-08 09:40 AM
    Ohh LaLa!

That's nice! And that's a big difference from what I've been hearing. I've been dying for the PERFECT theme and I've finally found it. I deleted all other themes and will use this one for a while.

I would love to improve upon this theme...

11-27-08 01:40 PM
    Here ya go. I zipped the .thm files for the House Bold theme I created. http://kimcooley.googlepages.com/HouseAndBold.zip Let me know how it goes AND we want to see your final design! haha.
    11-27-08 01:54 PM
    I got that pending update confirmation on my BB messenger also, right after I upgraded my OS to 4.5. I just deleted everyone on the list and send them another invite. After the deleting and re-invite all is good with my messenger.
    Hope this helps you out a little.
    11-27-08 02:10 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD