So I have been dabbling in theme making for a while now and while I am not that great at it I have a bit of a request.

I would like some ideas on where to get Icons...I dont care if its a pay site or a free site...I can resize them myself but I am just struggling to find anything for BB when I search icons...

I know that some people don't want to share their secrets but some may be ok with it.

Thank you in Advance
    01-19-09 10:26 PM
    Before I started designing my own icons (from scratch), I found this to be a good resource website: Icon Archive ...I like this site because it takes care to list all licensing and author/artist info for the icon sets.

Good luck!
    01-19-09 11:45 PM
    Thanks Bette...Do you have any tips for designing from scratch?

Feel free to not tell me I know that some don't like to share tips...I just want to be able to contribute more
    01-19-09 11:48 PM
    For me, designing icons from scratch involves Photoshop CS3, its nifty pen tool, my graphic tablet and a whole lot of patience, lol. You are going to need some sort of image editing software...if you don't already have a version of Photoshop and don't plan on obtaining a copy, a good alternative is GIMP. It's free and used by many theme builders.

If you are planning on making themes for several devices, take care to note the different icons sizes each device uses.

The icon sizes for various devices and theme styles are as followed...

-81xx/83xx/88xx Zen, Today, Custom: 48x36
    -81xx Icon: 60x55
    -83xx/88xx Icon: 53x48
    -82xx (Flip): 46x46
    -90xx (Bold): 80x80

(Note that 81xx/83xx/88xx devices use icons that are boxed in a rectangular canvas', while 82xx/90xx devices use icons that are boxed in a square canvas'.)

Also, PimpMyBerry just launched theme and icon development sections to help budding theme builders.
    01-20-09 12:38 AM
    I found this site, it has a couple of useful icon sets. I wanted to make a theme myself but I'm hampered by incompetence.

If you make something nice, post a screen shot, I'd like to see.

Updated: COMPLETE Blackberry Bold / 9000 Icon Set | eOnline Now
    01-20-09 12:42 AM
    For me, designing icons from scratch involves Photoshop CS3, its nifty pen tool, my graphic tablet and a whole lot of patience, lol. You are going to need some sort of image editing software...if you don't already have a version of Photoshop and don't plan on obtaining a copy, a good alternative is GIMP. It's free and used by many theme builders.

If you are planning on making themes for several devices, take care to note the different icons sizes each device uses.

The icon sizes for various devices and theme styles are as followed...

-81xx/83xx/88xx Zen, Today, Custom: 48x36
    -81xx Icon: 60x55
    -83xx/88xx Icon: 53x48
    -82xx (Flip): 46x46
    -90xx (Bold): 80x80

(Note that 81xx/83xx/88xx devices use icons that are boxed in a rectangular canvas', while 82xx/90xx devices use icons that are boxed in a square canvas'.)

Also, PimpMyBerry just launched theme and icon development sections to help budding theme builders.
    Thanks for all of this...I really appreciate it...Some of the theme makers I have met online have been quite tight-lipped with their secrets and tips. i am def. going to go check those sites out for some more pointers.

I found this site, it has a couple of useful icon sets. I wanted to make a theme myself but I'm hampered by incompetence.

If you make something nice, post a screen shot, I'd like to see.

Updated: COMPLETE Blackberry Bold / 9000 Icon Set | eOnline Now
    I have one theme that I posted shots of...it wasnt the best though but it was my first...Here it is...

its not great but I liked it
    01-20-09 01:22 AM
    I like it, it's good work! lol especially like calling your dog. The coolest thing is you made it yourself.

Do you use theme builder or is it another program? I'm trying but...well mine is boring and I can't seem to get all of the icons. Like you, I'm finding that many theme crafters carefully guard their secrets.
    01-20-09 01:50 AM
    LOL I didnt call my dog it is the pic that shows up when i call home lol..
    Yeah its not the greatest but when I look at it I know its mine

I am using Plazmic...I am in awe at people like Ecruz who make amazing themes...I aspire to be able to put out themes that people flock to like that ya know?
    01-20-09 01:55 AM
    I've recently posted several dozen icon packs on PimpMyBerry.com.

Icons that I put together and collected over the years.

Stop over...take a look.

The icons and other tools are located in the Developer's Forum.
    Last edited by StevenInSTL; 01-21-09 at 06:31 PM.
    01-20-09 10:49 PM
    Thanks Steven I went over there..

I also saw that you posted some theme files...they aren't bold though so I can't use them lol...Its all good...Can't wait to see what all I can find
    01-20-09 11:10 PM
    Ashley, StevenInSL has posted some bold icons on pimpmyberry.com, along with some other really nifty ones. Check out his icon super pack.

Icon Super Pack - Pimp My Berry!

I know what you mean about wanting to build the perfect theme. I don't want people to flock to mine, I just want one that I build for myself that I can be proud of. I've made a couple, one wasn't bad and then I see ones made by StevenInSL and Garys11 at Pimpmyberry.com (his Area51 theme is amazing) and I think... wow... I suck.
    01-25-09 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD