10-13-13 12:22 PM
553 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    I unlocked all the themes on my pearl 8130 from bell and imediatlly noticed a slow down of my blackberry and started to recieve application errors causing pearl to reset itself everytime....i had to go back to the original file so no more unlocked themes for me...really glad i backed up the original file before i started editing it
    02-06-08 05:43 PM
    can you change these settings with 8100 pearl?
    02-07-08 12:09 AM
    I was wondering if there was more detail about which vendor codes went with the carriers. Personally the only theme I want to d/l is the T-Mo theme and not was space on the others. Thoughts?
    02-09-08 06:24 PM
    Good morning

very new to this and my Pearl. I gave this a shot, found the file, started deleting all the VendorID's and then tried to save--and it said I dont have access. I wasn't sure where to go because it wasn't discussed here (or if it was, I missed it!) can you help me get around this?
    Thanks!

Michael

Let me first start off by saying, we here at CrackBerry take no responsibility if you attempt this and royally screw up your BlackBerry. This is not a difficult process, but you have to be a little techinal saavy to do this. Now with that being said.....

You'll need to edit your blackberry.alx file.

First off you need to have the appropriate OS for your device loaded on your PC. Once loaded, find the blackberry.alx file. It will generally be found here:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/8800-v4.2.1.74_P2.3.0.54

**The last folder is the OS you have loaded on your PC, my example is the 8800 OS**

Once found, open the file using WordPad, and look for something similiar to this example (note, this is example only)

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800" _vendorID="102">
    <files>

This is the theme file, you'll need to edit it and take out the vendorID. It should look like this when done.

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800">
    <files>

You can do this for all the theme files and hence have all vendor themes unlocked for your use. Then just Save the file. Close all the open files, then open Desktop Manager, connect your device, and it should automatically ask if you want to upgrade. Just click yes and you should be good to go. If it doesn't, you can open the App Loader and do it manually.

Now if you are using an OS other than one provided from your carrier, you'll also need to delete the Vendor.XML file. It can be found in the same location as the BlackBerry.alx file.

Give this a shot, if you get lost, come back here and let us know.
    02-19-08 09:55 AM
    Hi i know that this has probably been asked... and answered a million times but i am having trouble just finding the
    "C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/8800-v4.2.1.74_P2.3.0.54"
    Sorry again but im new to blackberrys just got my alltel 8830 WE please help!!
    02-20-08 11:20 PM
    Quick question I started to do this and all the entries for vendor files started out like the original example then I got to some that look like this.

</fileset>
    <!-- T-Mobile filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8800|8300" Java="1.0" _vendorID="100">

So to explain my question, in the example the java section was before the phone version so when I edit this entry should I remove the java section and still have the entry end at 8300" or would I have it end at Java="1.0" ?
    02-21-08 09:08 AM
    I can't find:
    **The last folder is the OS you have loaded on your PC, my example is the 8800 OS*
    I installed the new version but still cant find the OS folder.
    02-21-08 10:12 AM
    I noticed it looks as though most of the people on here have 8300 or a newer phone. So will this work just as well having an 8100 Pearl with T-mobile?
    02-21-08 04:20 PM
    You made this soooooooo easy! AWESOME! Thanks!
    02-21-08 05:26 PM
    wat if i have verizon as a carrier these guys (verizon) are blackberry pirates and want to control me with their wack ringtones and other apps that i cannot download from regular sites or other phones where can i go to remove this nazi service and be free to download wat i want ?? heelllppp wat i really want is to be able to download from crackberry ringtones and when i receive the email i cannot retrieve it to put it on my phone is there a hack i can do 2 correct this and be free?? thanks guys sorry newbie to bb this is somewhat frustrating !!
    Last edited by snaperbeak; 02-21-08 at 09:24 PM.
    02-21-08 09:11 PM
    Okay, I unlocked all of the vendor themes and I really like the Vodaphone Today - Green theme. The only problem I'm having is that the "O" shortcut to options doesn't work and I have to click on the settings icon. Is this normal for this theme? The shortcut works fine with other themes.
    02-22-08 05:37 PM
    Sorry if this question has already been answerd but i cant find the :/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files09 when i get to the RIM folder it doesnt say "Shared" any where just a couple other folders....
    02-27-08 01:04 AM
    sorry about the "09" my remote dropped on my keyboard and i didnt see that it typed anything
    02-27-08 01:05 AM
    I dont have Shared/Loader Files09 folders in mine all i have is Apploader, Modem Drivers, RimDeviceManager and UsbDrivers. I have a 8100 pearl.
    03-01-08 03:44 PM
    OK, I read thru this whole thread, and I have a question that I don't really think has been answered. I have an unlocked AT&T 8310, but I have T-MO service. Do I d/l the OS for AT&T or T-MO? If I d/l the T-MO OS will it cripple my GPS (the reason for the 8310 instead of the 8320)?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    03-06-08 07:50 PM
    I noticed it looks as though most of the people on here have 8300 or a newer phone. So will this work just as well having an 8100 Pearl with T-mobile?
    I also have the 8100, I did an alternate exchange on my T-Mob Dash and got the 8100. I unlocked the vendor themes w/ no prob. Not sure if it makes a difference, but just as an FYI, i didn't go thru and delete all the vendorID codes, I replaced them all with "100" which is T-Mob's VendorID.

OK, I read thru this whole thread, and I have a question that I don't really think has been answered. I have an unlocked AT&T 8310, but I have T-MO service. Do I d/l the OS for AT&T or T-MO? If I d/l the T-MO OS will it cripple my GPS (the reason for the 8310 instead of the 8320)?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Since T-Mob dsnt offer GPS svcs, I would dwnld the AT&T version to be on the Safe Side. If there are any of your svc not working rite after that, just call 611 and tell cst svc you need them to send you OTA updates to your phone. That will fill in whatever blanks the AT&T OS has left and get everything sync'd w/ T-Mobile svcs.
    03-07-08 12:46 AM
    Awesome! Thanks! I'll do it when I get home, can't wait!
    03-07-08 09:58 AM
    Wow, that is pretty cool stuff. I unlocked all those themes. I was worried as it took about 20 minutes for my bb to reboot. I then had to do a restore to get my contacts and BES back working, but all is well and I now have lots of free themes to check out.
    03-07-08 10:28 AM
    For those running Vista 64 - if you can't find anything in Program Files try the Program Files (x86) folder.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\

and then the appropriate OS folder.

And if you have administrator privileges, you can also alter the security on the OS folder so that users can modify | write to it. Then you can open the .alx file in notepad and save it. It's far less annoying than having to save to your desktop then copy/paste into the OS folder.

Initially I couldn't get this to work, I was getting the same error msg as Agula001

so changed all the vendor codes to at&t's and saved the new file. however now i can't find the vendor.xml file. also when i connect my phone to the desktop manager it doesn't want to upgrade....i even tried to run the app loader and i get this message "No additional applications designed for your device were found.".....what should/need to do? any help would be great
    That was until I realized that the vendor.xml file is actually in the following folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

which is where you'd go to delete it if you're using an OS that didn't come with the BB.

<rant> I was quite liking the Rogers theme until I saw that the block of red color at the top was solid and not transparent.. stop eating into my background image.. </rant>
    Last edited by TornadoDivine; 03-07-08 at 12:14 PM. Reason: needed to rant
    03-07-08 12:07 PM
    i just got a blackberry
    03-07-08 03:23 PM
    i want a free theme were can i go?
    03-07-08 03:24 PM
    This is a great post. So I did it, i got all the themes on my BB. Then i realized that i had less than three megs of space left, so i went through everyone and picked out my favorites, then i only unlocked the ones that I would use. Great post and great site.

Nick
    03-09-08 02:33 PM
    If you copy and paste this very carefully it will work for you.... It goes from AT&T down to the top of Verizon... Be careful...

(This is provided you have AT&T as a carrier)

<!-- AT&T US filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8800|8300" _vendorID="102">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_102a_icon_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Sprint filesets -->
    <!-- Telefonica filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_129_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- TIM filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_115_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8800|8300" Java="1.0" _vendorID="102">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_100_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_114_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Vodafone filesets -->
    <fileset series="8800|8300" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="102">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_120_today_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- O2 filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_125_today_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_125_zen_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Orange France filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_119_icon_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Rogers filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_107_zen_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Verizon US filesets -->
    Well'p I messed something up and I don't know what I did, I tried getting rid of some of the Themes I didn't really like after unlocking them, but then now I have NO THEME! and all my other ones got erased, can I get this same file except for the Tmobile carrier?
    Please?
    03-10-08 04:03 AM
    Well'p I messed something up and I don't know what I did, I tried getting rid of some of the Themes I didn't really like after unlocking them, but then now I have NO THEME! and all my other ones got erased, can I get this same file except for the Tmobile carrier?
    Please?
    Ok.. I can't give you an entire copy of the blackberry.alx file but it should be quite easy to go through it and fix it. Find your vendor id - I think on the curve you can do this by ALT + E A C E.

Now open your blackberry.alx file in notepad and search for the t-mobile section. Replace whatever vendor id you've got in there with your vendor id.

I've not unlocked the t-mobile theme so my blackberry.alx file looks like this

<fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="100">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

You might want to do a quick search for t-mobile vendor id before copying the above text - I'm in the UK so I don't know if any of the net_rim etc. files are different. However if you edit the blackberry.alx file and replace where yours says t-mobile with the correct vendor id then you should be ok.

It's always advisable to make a copy of files before you edit them. Cuz you just never know..
    03-10-08 04:55 PM
    Hi TornadoDivine, thanks for your reply, so I think I erased something I was not supposed to, so now I have to live with this stupid BB that has absoloutly NO THEMES! not even the default ones,
    until I get my replacement, (which feels so far away)lol
    no seriously it sucks when you get used to certain things and you don't realize how much u need them until you royally F them up like I did, oh well
    thanks for your help though, BTW I tried finding which one was missing comparing my alx. files with the one that I had originaly asked about and what I erased is either not on there or I didn't see it.
    thanks again!
    I'll be by the door waiting for my BB to come home, lol
    03-10-08 06:55 PM
553 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD