10-13-13 11:22 AM
553 ... 678910 ...
tools
    For Vista 32 or 64, be sure that your hidden folders are shown. Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Check "Show Hidden Files and Folders" Whoila!
    01-14-08 06:21 AM
    mscooley:

I did select to show hidden files. I am very confused why nothing shows up. I have reinstalled the program several times, but still no files.

Weird situation.

If anybody knows a solution... I love you long time.
    01-14-08 11:30 AM
    It worked fine for me with Vista 32bit.
    01-14-08 03:09 PM
    I am the only one who is on the computer, but I was reading some information about Vista not creating an Admin account. I guess I might have to go in and make myself an admin?! I will try it later tonight and post if I had any luck.
    01-14-08 03:23 PM
    Didn't work.
    01-14-08 11:07 PM
    Is there any way to revert back to the original Blackberry.alx file after you have loaded the modified one?

I am using the 8130 pearl and it keeps giving me an App error and restating.

All I wanna do it revert back to the original .alx file.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    01-16-08 11:27 AM
    Is there any way to revert back to the original Blackberry.alx file after you have loaded the modified one?

I am using the 8130 pearl and it keeps giving me an App error and restating.

All I wanna do it revert back to the original .alx file.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    From what i've read, if you update the Device Software the changes will be voided out. You can try that.

Edit: Ok, I found vendor.xml, it was in a different folder. It still didn't think i needed to update automatically, so I ran thru the AppLoader. The BB restarted, and still no change. I just get the stock Verizon themes. Any ideas? I know this isn't 100% functioning on the 8130... but i figured i'd give it a try. Has anyone had any luck getting it to work on an 8130?

I don't seem to have a Vendors.xml file. Has anyone else experieced this? I was able to edit the blackberry.alx file fine, but since i can't delete the vendors.xml, nothing is happening on my berry.
    Last edited by Zak8022; 01-16-08 at 03:04 PM.
    01-16-08 02:59 PM
    Sweeeet! I am not sure exactly what i did... but i plugged my berry back in, and it automatically came up with the update dialog. I did it, it reset, and now i have them all.

Thanks guys!

Scratch that... i can switch to them... but it usually freaks out withing a minute or two. I get an "App Error 523"

I'm going to try and back out of the changes... and hope things are messed up bigtime. (Yes, i know i should have listened that this might not work on the 8130)
    Last edited by Zak8022; 01-16-08 at 03:44 PM.
    01-16-08 03:33 PM
    SNIP...
    Scratch that... i can switch to them... but it usually freaks out withing a minute or two. I get an "App Error 523"

I'm going to try and back out of the changes... and hope things are messed up bigtime. (Yes, i know i should have listened that this might not work on the 8130)
    Same here. Makes your palms sweaty doesn't it!
    I did fix this but can't remember how.
    Try this, reconnect to the DT Manager, click application loader, click next, click next again, and in that screen does it have the themes? Something about unused or something like that. If so it should also say something about removal. If it does, click finish, and it will reboot the BB and all should be well. Sorry to be so vague
    01-16-08 07:00 PM
    Same here. Makes your palms sweaty doesn't it!
    I did fix this but can't remember how.
    Try this, reconnect to the DT Manager, click application loader, click next, click next again, and in that screen does it have the themes? Something about unused or something like that. If so it should also say something about removal. If it does, click finish, and it will reboot the BB and all should be well. Sorry to be so vague
    No problem... i think i figured it out. I replaced the edited blackberry.alx with a copy of the original (that i made before i started) as well as replaced the vendor.xml file. Then reconnected the berry... DM said i had an update, i did it, it removed all the vendor theme files... and things are back to normal.

At least, they seem to be back to normal for now. *fingers crossed* that they stay that way.
    01-16-08 07:55 PM
    I don't understand why I can't successfully do this?!
    01-17-08 08:38 AM
    me to bro. I was able to get it to work on my old 8830WE, but can't on the pearl. Some say it's the Tmobile theme that screws things up, but you got to be missing something, since I have done it and got it to work on the 8830
    01-17-08 08:49 AM
    Alright, I understand the whole unlocking process and what not, but I was just curious if there was a way to get the OS onto my PC WITHOUT filling out the form that Blackberry provides. No worries if there isn't, I was just wondering.

Also, I'm somewhat tech-savvy and I'm pretty sure I'd be able to handle it, but I'm assuming this wouldn't change anything else on my Blackberry if I use the correct OS and edit the correct information in the correct files, correct?

Someday, once I get a memory card, I might get around to doing this for my Curve 8310. If anyone could answer these simply questions it may make me speed up the process and enable me to have all the vendor themes!

Thank you for writing this forum.
    Such common sense if you think of it, but nonetheless pure genius!
    01-20-08 01:26 PM
    Alright, I understand the whole unlocking process and what not, but I was just curious if there was a way to get the OS onto my PC WITHOUT filling out the form that Blackberry provides. No worries if there isn't, I was just wondering.

Also, I'm somewhat tech-savvy and I'm pretty sure I'd be able to handle it, but I'm assuming this wouldn't change anything else on my Blackberry if I use the correct OS and edit the correct information in the correct files, correct?

Someday, once I get a memory card, I might get around to doing this for my Curve 8310. If anyone could answer these simply questions it may make me speed up the process and enable me to have all the vendor themes!

Thank you for writing this forum.
    Such common sense if you think of it, but nonetheless pure genius!
    I don't think its suggested to try this with the 8130. I tried it earlier in the week. It was successful, but the OS crashed, and returned App Code 523 after a couple minutes. Its possible i ****ed something up somewhere along the way, but i have also read that this unlocking is not compatible with the 8130s.

The RIM site is probably the best place to get the OSes, since there are many different versions, and while your carrier probably has it available for download somewhere, they will only have the OS version that their units are shipping with, which might not be the one you are using (if you upgrade your device OS). Like me... Verizon ships with .60, but i upgraded to Alltel's .81 to get the newest updates and such. I had to get the .81 OS from RIM's site.

Hope that helps.
    01-20-08 02:51 PM
    Does anybody have an update to unlock themes for the new OS?
    01-22-08 10:23 PM
    From what i've read, if you update the Device Software the changes will be voided out. You can try that.

Edit: Ok, I found vendor.xml, it was in a different folder. It still didn't think i needed to update automatically, so I ran thru the AppLoader. The BB restarted, and still no change. I just get the stock Verizon themes. Any ideas? I know this isn't 100% functioning on the 8130... but i figured i'd give it a try. Has anyone had any luck getting it to work on an 8130?

I don't seem to have a Vendors.xml file. Has anyone else experieced this? I was able to edit the blackberry.alx file fine, but since i can't delete the vendors.xml, nothing is happening on my berry.

So after much toying around I got all the themes unlocked on the VZW Pearl 8130. Take that Verizon! (now if is can just unlock my GPS)

The process is fairly complicated and can be done multiple ways. below is the explaintion for the easiest most secure way of changing the code in the Blackberry.alx Loader file.

first of all, you can pick and choose what themes you want to load on your device. load all or just some--the less you load the more free memory you will have. for any themes you want loaded change the vendorID to match yours.
    WARNING: read last section concerning T-mobile themes)

:::::Example Code:::::
    </fileset>
    <!-- Rogers filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="107">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_107_zen_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Verizon US filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="105">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_105_zen_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

notice that the verizon _vendorID ="105" where as the Rodgers vendorid=107. Simply change the vendorID = "???" where the ??? is the vendor id of your Carrier. if the vendorID has multiple numbers in it. then simply change one of them to your vendor number.

:::::Example:::::
    <!-- O2 filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8100" _vendorID="111|125|229">
    <files>

:::::change the code to below (111 becomes 105 or what ever your vendorID is):::::
    net_rim_theme_125_today_240x260_b.cod<!-- O2 filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8100" _vendorID="105|125|229">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_125_today_240x260_b.cod

--->> this will work for all themes EXCEPT T-mobile. <<---

the code for the T-mobile themes includes some other files for their "fav 5 program". if you do not have t-mobile you will want to stop these extra files from loading on your system. as they will cause it to crash. hence the error messages. here is how the code originally looks and how it should end up.

:::::before you change the code:::::
    <!-- T-Mobile filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="100">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="114|123|134|170|171">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_114_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod
    </files>

:::::after you change the code:::::

<files>
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="105|123|134|170|171">
    <files>
    </files>

I hope this helps. feel free to PM me with questions.

~Tmiv
    01-24-08 02:53 AM
    So after much toying around I got all the themes unlocked on the VZW Pearl 8130. Take that Verizon! (now if is can just unlock my GPS)

The process is fairly complicated and can be done multiple ways. below is the explaintion for the easiest most secure way of changing the code in the Blackberry.alx Loader file.

first of all, you can pick and choose what themes you want to load on your device. load all or just some--the less you load the more free memory you will have. for any themes you want loaded change the vendorID to match yours.
    WARNING: read last section concerning T-mobile themes)

:::::Example Code:::::
    </fileset>
    <!-- Rogers filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="107">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_107_zen_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Verizon US filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_105_zen_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

notice that the verizon _vendorID ="105" where as the Rodgers vendorid=107. Simply change the vendorID = "???" where the ??? is the vendor id of your Carrier. if the vendorID has multiple numbers in it. then simply change one of them to your vendor number.

:::::Example:::::
    <!-- O2 filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8100" _vendorID="111|125|229">
    <files>

:::::change the code to below (111 becomes 105 or what ever your vendorID is):::::
    net_rim_theme_125_today_240x260_b.cod<!-- O2 filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8100" _vendorID="105|125|229">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_125_today_240x260_b.cod

--->> this will work for all themes EXCEPT T-mobile. <<---

the code for the T-mobile themes includes some other files for their "fav 5 program". if you do not have t-mobile you will want to stop these extra files from loading on your system. as they will cause it to crash. hence the error messages. here is how the code originally looks and how it should end up.

:::::before you change the code:::::
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="100">
    <files>
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="114|123|134|170|171">
    <files>
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod
    </files>

:::::after you change the code:::::

<files>
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="105|123|134|170|171">
    <files>
    </files>

I hope this helps. feel free to PM me with questions.

~Tmiv
    While i appreciate the time you took to write this up (and it will probably be helpful for others)... that is what i did before. My phone, for whatever reason, simply was not stable with the activated themes. It would just crash out repeatedly.
    01-24-08 08:22 AM
    Okay for the love of god I cannot figure this out and I thought I was somewhat PC savvy, I just got a new curve with the newest version of software on it (V4.2.2.180 platform 2.5.0.36) and I cannot :

1. Find the ALX file
    2. I cannot find the "shared" folder
    3. I am using V4.3 of DM
    4. The 8320 Curve is on T-mobile
    5. I am starting drink heavily!!!

Opps sorry for the last post the frustration level is extremely high! Please please help I have followed the instructions at the beginnong of this thread but to no avail do I find any of the items that should be there. Do I need to re-install the newest version of my handheld software (4.2.2.180?) this is the same software on the T-mobile website????
    Please offer my some assistance thank you in advance, I cam from the Dash to the Curve and I could really modify that Dash.
    01-24-08 07:42 PM
    Sorry double post!
    Last edited by gthmcty1; 01-25-08 at 10:16 AM.
    01-24-08 07:48 PM
    gthmcty1

the problem that might be occuring for you was one that happened to me aswell, at first i read through the instructions quickly and went straight to program files > RIM > and couldn't find the correct directory. But after reading the instructions for the second time i realized you don't go straight to the RIM directory but instead to "Common Files".

Maybe this is your problem?
    01-27-08 12:41 PM
    I did this on my old computer and am trying to do it again on a new computer that runs vista - question is - how do I save the ALX file after I have modified it? I am signed on as an administrator on the PC.
    Thanks!
    01-29-08 05:16 PM
    I'm on Vista 32, I just went to a dos prompt to rename it.
    01-29-08 05:18 PM
    They all seem to be working except the ZEN theme. I see it in the Blackberry.alx file, and it is edited like the rest, but it isn't appearing in the themes list.

Oh well, I learned one thing... Telus, Rogers, and Bell are all BORING. Must be a Canadian thing.... ARghhh
    01-30-08 12:31 AM
    I did this on my old computer and am trying to do it again on a new computer that runs vista - question is - how do I save the ALX file after I have modified it? I am signed on as an administrator on the PC.
    Thanks!
    Simple.... Save the edited file to your desktop (or wherever you chose). Copy the file you save (right click/copy) then paste it into the directory where the original Blackberry.alx file is saved.

You will get a warning that it must be added as administrator and then you can click through and it will paste.

Have fun
    01-30-08 12:34 AM
    Just a note to add....If you've added all the vendor themes according to Kasper's post it takes up a lot of memory on the device. A couple of the themes are almost 1MB each. With the newer devices there is a real issue with free memory on the device. I suggest that once you find a theme you like, that you remove the others you don't use. You will free up much memory and make your device a little faster and reduce the chance for deleted call logs and emails/sms. To do this simply remove the unwanted .cod's from the java directory (located in the same directory as the blackberry.alx.) Remove them and place them in another folder. Then if you want to add them back, simply place the wanted .cod back in the java directory. Each time you do this just run through application loader and it will add or remove the themes.

Just my $.02 from having lost emails and call logs due to memory issues.

I've successfully removed the unwanted themes to another folder, but I'm having trouble synching my Curve to my desktop. How do I put the new changes into effect? Especially, if the Desktop Manager isn't recognizing my BB??
    02-05-08 04:26 PM
553 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD