10-13-13 11:22 AM
553 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Only if you tell Desktop Manager to load on both.
    10-07-07 11:21 PM
    I have unlocked most of my vendor themes on my 8800. I heard that there was a way that you could unlock all the themes like the sprint and verizon theme. Does anyone know how to do this. Thanks
    10-08-07 11:40 AM
    Hello all,

I am trying to follow this post and I stuck on the first step which is to find the blackberry.alx file? Do I need to down load another OS? I recently purchased my 8820 from AT&T and have Desktop Manager Ver 4.2.2.6
    10-14-07 07:37 AM
    No, you don't need new os. It works with any os from any operator as long as it is the os for your bb.
    10-14-07 08:10 AM
    John/Kasperapd

If I unlock these theme's will this cause my BES to stop working? I remember reading something like this, but can't seem to find it in the fourms now.

Thanks
    10-15-07 10:16 PM
    I followed the instructions exactly as written and this little hack works perfect. Thanks for sharing the info. You guys rock!!!!
    John
    10-15-07 11:11 PM
    I unlocked the themes for my Pearl and 8300 Curve without any problems. For some reason, though, I can't get it to work with my new 8310. I follow the instructions exactly but it does not recognize new software when I connect my Blackberry and run the Apploader.

Any ideas? I am still kind of a newbie to Blackberries so I must be missing some important step.
    10-18-07 07:58 AM
    When I Try Saving The File It Tells Me That It Can Not Creat It
    10-22-07 12:35 PM
    i am trying to unlock my themes i am getting a error message "the app browser cannot be loaded because it requires the follwing app's that are not available: net.rim.blackberry.xml " can someone help me
    10-25-07 03:43 PM
    Try reinstalling the OS on your PC.
    10-25-07 03:45 PM
    i will do that now thx
    10-25-07 03:54 PM
    should i update my desktop mgr as well it is saying the version i have is not the latest.
    10-25-07 03:55 PM
    ok i might have a "duh" moment after i get my answer... but i cannot find the "shared/loader....." files in the research in motion folder.

everything else seems pretty straight forward but i cannot find that folder! am i being really dumb or what??
    10-25-07 06:51 PM
    had my duh moment. found it!
    10-25-07 07:13 PM
    I also can't find the shared folder or the Blackberry.alx file. Are the Desktop Manager and the OS the same thing? If not, where do you obtain the OS?
    Sorry about this.
    Thanks in advance!
    10-26-07 12:42 PM
    I also can't find the shared folder or the Blackberry.alx file. Are the Desktop Manager and the OS the same thing? If not, where do you obtain the OS?
    Sorry about this.
    Thanks in advance!
    go to start
    run
    type in c:\program files\common files
    click on research in motion
    click on shared
    click on loader files
    click on the folder that comes up
    then click on blackberry.

thats how i found it.
    10-26-07 06:12 PM
    I want to unlock the vendor themes on my 8830, but im unsure of 1 thing. I've successfully done this before on my old 8703e, but this time around is different. My carrier is Cellular South, which allows GPS, but their OS is not available for download. If I used Telus' OS to unlock the themes, will this affect my GPS if Telus has it locked?
    10-26-07 10:04 PM
    Done! Phewwwww. The fear of losing my GPS was nerve wrecking. I remembered to delete the vendor.xml file...just in case.
    10-26-07 10:41 PM
    Hey I'm trying to figure out how to do this I have a blackberry pearl with os 4.2.1.96 using Cingular/At&T and I don't see a folder titled shared in the research in motion folder. I've also done a search for the file blackberry.alx and came up with no results is the file different for the pearl or am i just missing it any help would be greatly appreciated
    10-29-07 05:43 PM
    Have you downloaded the correct OS to your PC. If not, you'll need to download this this file and install on your PC. After you do this, you will then find the blackberry.alx file. OS for 8100C
    10-29-07 06:00 PM
    Okay once I download this software for my computer because I see that it is a different that the current os i have I just need to hook my phone up to my computer and open desktop manager and it will automatically ask me to update? and will i lose all the information that is currently in my phone(I have backed it up but just wondering) and if it does do that do i just choose the restore option once it has upgraded?
    10-29-07 10:02 PM
    If the version that you download is greater than your current version, you should be good. I think it will work the other way as well, but I'm not sure. You will not have to restore anything. You are not reinstalling the entire OS, you're only modifying (removing) the vendor codes from the main OS file. When you plug in your BB and open Desktop Manager, it will ask if you want to upgrade. You'll notice in the list, it will detail what is being added, just as if you were installing new software. Dont fret if nothing happens when you load the desktop manager. If this happens, just open the App Loader and take it from there.
    10-29-07 10:10 PM
    Let me first start off by saying, we here at CrackBerry take no responsibility if you attempt this and royally screw up your BlackBerry. This is not a difficult process, but you have to be a little techinal saavy to do this. Now with that being said.....

You'll need to edit your blackberry.alx file.

First off you need to have the appropriate OS for your device loaded on your PC. Once loaded, find the blackberry.alx file. It will generally be found here:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/8800-v4.2.1.74_P2.3.0.54

**The last folder is the OS you have loaded on your PC, my example is the 8800 OS**

Once found, open the file using WordPad, and look for something similiar to this example (note, this is example only)

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800" _vendorID="102">
    <files>

This is the theme file, you'll need to edit it and take out the vendorID. It should look like this when done.

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800">
    <files>

You can do this for all the theme files and hence have all vendor themes unlocked for your use. Then just Save the file. Close all the open files, then open Desktop Manager, connect your device, and it should automatically ask if you want to upgrade. Just click yes and you should be good to go. If it doesn't, you can open the App Loader and do it manually.

Now if you are using an OS other than one provided from your carrier, you'll also need to delete the Vendor.XML file. It can be found in the same location as the BlackBerry.alx file.

Give this a shot, if you get lost, come back here and let us know.
    I followed the instructions to unlock the themes on my Pearl before and it worked perfect. But now I'm trying to do it on my new Curve and it's not loading it! Also, it's not loading the Asian OS that I downloaded as well....
    10-30-07 01:09 PM
    I answered your other thread.
    10-30-07 01:39 PM
    This is the coolest tip! I've unlocked them all. and gotten different wallpapers to use w/ them.
    I like changing my theme often.
    10-31-07 12:16 PM
553 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD