10-13-13 11:22 AM
553 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Do you have the relevant OS for your device installed?
    07-26-07 01:36 PM
    I unlock themes in Pearl, but then again locked ones I didn't like. I unlocked Vodafone and AT&T theme...
    07-27-07 10:23 AM
    Fairly new to the BB world so bear with me. I have a verizon 8830 and when I download the OS it won't unpack give an error about the setup initialization file. I have downloaded it both here andf at work with the same results. So I downloaded the one for the sprint 8830. It ran fine and I was able to make the changes to the blackberry.alx file. So the question is will I harm my BB when I load the sprint file. I know they are both the same phone but they have different versions of the OS. Don't want to brick the phone shoot I just got it.

Thanks,

Kirby
    Last edited by rkwhyte2; 08-03-07 at 10:13 PM.
    08-03-07 08:08 PM
    Normally, I'd say no, but since Sprint & Verizon are not BOTH GSM devices, am not too sure...
    08-04-07 07:04 AM
    Well except for when the PC froze in the middle of the upgrade. I was able to restart the PC and redo the upgrade. The only theme I didn't get was the Sprint one maybe I missed it when I was doing the edit of the file...too bad I thought it nice. For the moment I've settled on the TMo (US) Zen theme.

I have a good amount of experience flashing PPC phones and all in all this wasn't any worse than doing one of them. Although I almost had a heart attack when the damn PC froze. Oh also waited to say that I downloaded the Verizon OS again and this time it unpacked properly ( guess third time is a charm).

Kirby
    08-04-07 02:05 PM
    I can't seem to find the place to download the OS. Can you please post a link if you have one? I'm using the curve through AT&T.

Thanks!
    08-05-07 06:36 PM
    08-05-07 11:32 PM
    Kasperapd and Navilyn... you two are the most patient and helpful modderators I've ever seen on a board! Thanks.

PS - I did this and it worked great. Thanks!
    08-27-07 09:29 PM
    Thanks, and glad it worked for you!
    08-28-07 10:42 AM
    ...appreciate the compliment.
    08-28-07 11:56 AM
    All is okay!! works perfectly, thanks for the tip
    08-31-07 05:34 PM
    Love the new themes on my 8830! I'm currently using O2 Today. Thanks for the info. Any other cool hacks you guys know of?
    09-01-07 11:32 AM
    Just a note to add....If you've added all the vendor themes according to Kasper's post it takes up a lot of memory on the device. A couple of the themes are almost 1MB each. With the newer devices there is a real issue with free memory on the device. I suggest that once you find a theme you like, that you remove the others you don't use. You will free up much memory and make your device a little faster and reduce the chance for deleted call logs and emails/sms. To do this simply remove the unwanted .cod's from the java directory (located in the same directory as the blackberry.alx.) Remove them and place them in another folder. Then if you want to add them back, simply place the wanted .cod back in the java directory. Each time you do this just run through application loader and it will add or remove the themes.

Just my $.02 from having lost emails and call logs due to memory issues.
    09-01-07 03:20 PM
    John, as always, this is brilliant info. I unlocked all the themes, but not there are about 5 I just don't really need. So, brilliant idea...
    09-01-07 03:39 PM
    Here's a run down of what you can easly remove:

Theme .cod's are listed as:

net_rim_theme_100...
    net_rim_theme_102... etc.

The numbers below are the vendor ID's for each carrier and will help you identify which themes are which:

You can safely delete any of the below vendor-numbered themes. The size listed is an average size for that carrier's theme. As you can see a couple of them are quite big.

100=Tmobile 240kb
    102=AT&T 769kb
    104=Sprint 17kb
    105=Verizon 572kb
    107=Rogers 287kb
    109=Bell 194kb
    114=TMo UK 243kb
    115=TIM 698kb
    119=Orange 635kb
    120=Vodafone 624kb
    125=O2 349kb
    129=Telefonica 30kb

You can also safely delete TMobile myfaves apps if you don't use myfaves:

net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod

I don't recommend removing the bbdimension... some of the above vendor themes need these in order to run. However, get rid of the big vendor-coded ones at the very least, if you aren't using them.
    Last edited by John Clark; 09-01-07 at 06:45 PM.
    09-01-07 04:05 PM
    Thanks for the info John, that's good advice.
    09-01-07 06:14 PM
    Let me first start off by saying, we here at CrackBerry take no responsibility if you attempt this and royally screw up your BlackBerry. This is not a difficult process, but you have to be a little techinal saavy to do this. Now with that being said.....

You'll need to edit your blackberry.alx file.

First off you need to have the appropriate OS for your device loaded on your PC. Once loaded, find the blackberry.alx file. It will generally be found here:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/8800-v4.2.1.74_P2.3.0.54

**The last folder is the OS you have loaded on your PC, my example is the 8800 OS**

Once found, open the file using WordPad, and look for something similiar to this example (note, this is example only)

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800" _vendorID="102">
    <files>

This is the theme file, you'll need to edit it and take out the vendorID. It should look like this when done.

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800">
    <files>

You can do this for all the theme files and hence have all vendor themes unlocked for your use. Then just Save the file. Close all the open files, then open Desktop Manager, connect your device, and it should automatically ask if you want to upgrade. Just click yes and you should be good to go. If it doesn't, you can open the App Loader and do it manually.

Now if you are using an OS other than one provided from your carrier, you'll also need to delete the Vendor.XML file. It can be found in the same location as the BlackBerry.alx file.

Give this a shot, if you get lost, come back here and let us know.
    How can i find it for the Tmobile bb.... i have the 8100 tmobile
    09-19-07 05:59 PM
    How do you find what exactly?
    09-20-07 04:16 PM
    Once i edit the file and try to save it, it says access denied?? any help? please

Never mind i just needed to change my windows administrator settings. Thanks Again this is great!
    Last edited by noop; 09-27-07 at 09:11 PM.
    09-27-07 08:36 PM
    so changed all the vendor codes to at&t's and saved the new file. however now i can't find the vendor.xml file. also when i connect my phone to the desktop manager it doesn't want to upgrade....i even tried to run the app loader and i get this message "No additional applications designed for your device were found.".....what should/need to do? any help would be great
    10-04-07 07:51 PM
    Until you delete the vendor.xml, it will say that there is nothing new to load. Run a system search for it if you can't find it.
    10-05-07 02:05 PM
    I'm sooo tired, that this makes no sense. I'll mark it until I get 8hrs. of rest in. What's the big deal of having different themes though. I'll probably do it, but can't figure out why people do it.....thoughts on this?
    10-07-07 12:38 AM
    Some of the themes look better than others, it's completely up to you. If it seems like too much of a problem, then skip it, and come back to it some other time.
    10-07-07 05:11 PM
    It just enables your addiction...

I'm sooo tired, that this makes no sense. I'll mark it until I get 8hrs. of rest in. What's the big deal of having different themes though. I'll probably do it, but can't figure out why people do it.....thoughts on this?
    10-07-07 05:20 PM
    It just enables your addiction...
    lol....that's all I need

If my wife and I have the same BB, will doing this mess with hers as well, by going into the program files on my laptop?
    10-07-07 07:47 PM
553 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD