10-13-13 11:22 AM
553 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    I read most of the comments here and found some things I could clarify (I think). I am running Desktop Manager 4.7 with the latest T-Mobile software for my Curve 8900.

1. You don't need to delete the _vendorID field...you just need to know a little bit about how the Blackberry.alx file works.

See the below snippet of code:

<fileset Colour="True" series="Javelin" Java="1.0" _vendorID="119|162|175|183|217|280|142|285">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_119_zen_480x360_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

The code is similar to HTML in the sense that it starts out with a bracket <fileset...> and ends with a backslash </fileset>. Everything in between is what we are interested in.

For theme unlocking, you only want to edit the _vendorID line for blocks of code that have "net_rim_theme..." in between the <files> </files> blocks of code. In the code above, you see the following after _vendorID=

"119|162|175|183|217|280|142|285"

As mentioned previously, this tells your BB which themes are for use. All you need to do, instead of delete anything, is ADD YOUR ID to the code. Since I am with T-mobile (ID 100), I edited the line to the following:

"100|119|162|175|183|217|280|142|285"

Don't forget, you need to add the "|" delimiter to separate your code from the rest. This method is non-destructive and easy to revert.

In order to get this to work for me, after I edited and saved the Blackberry.alx file, I performed a battery pull, then ran Loader.exe from this path:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

When Loader ran, it performed the update (it backs up your apps/data, then wipes your device, then reinstalls your apps/data).

2. I made a copy of the Blackberry.alx file and stored it in an easy-to-remember place in case I made a mistake.

Editing this file as I instructed should NOT do any damage. It is only allowing your BB to "see" more themes. You may notice new icons if they are part of the theme. When you choose a new theme, your defaults get reset. Icons may be defaulted onto your Home screen as if you were just turning on the phone for the first time. This is for NEW themes. Themes that you had previously "arranged" should hold their icons and icon placement.
    06-25-09 11:24 AM
    Can someone please help me. I just unlocked the vendor themes on my BB curve 8330(sprint) but red icons appear on my application screen that were not part of my BB. I just want to delete them...How do you get rid of them???
    To get rid of icons, move the trackball to select them, then use the menu option to select "Hide".
    06-25-09 11:26 AM
    am I able to download an operating system to my macbook?
    06-29-09 09:59 PM
    a stupid question...will this work on a 9530 storm? if so what part in the .alx file do i look for..mying doesn't say <fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series=

it says <fileset Java="1.0" KeyboardType="Reduced|Virtual"> plus i can't find where it says vendorID. i am using the DM 4.7
    06-30-09 06:13 PM
    subscribing
    07-01-09 11:15 AM
    Will this work with a pearl 8130?
    07-01-09 09:42 PM
    Oh my god.. I'm gonna try this just now.. wish me luck!
    07-07-09 05:38 PM
    Apparently this doesn't work for the storm. Or rather, there's only one theme anyway regardless of carrier...
    07-09-09 08:48 PM
    I updated the file with no problems, but when I try to run the AppLoader, I get the following error:

The application "BlackBerry PGP Email Library" cannot be loaded, because it requires the following applications that are not available:

net.rim.platform.ecmascript
    Any ideas to fix this?
    07-10-09 03:01 AM
    Let me first start off by saying, we here at CrackBerry take no responsibility if you attempt this and royally screw up your BlackBerry. This is not a difficult process, but you have to be a little techinal saavy to do this. Now with that being said.....

You'll need to edit your blackberry.alx file.

First off you need to have the appropriate OS for your device loaded on your PC. Once loaded, find the blackberry.alx file. It will generally be found here:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/8800-v4.2.1.74_P2.3.0.54

**The last folder is the OS you have loaded on your PC, my example is the 8800 OS**

Once found, open the file using WordPad, and look for something similiar to this example (note, this is example only)

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800" _vendorID="102">
    <files>

This is the theme file, you'll need to edit it and take out the vendorID. It should look like this when done.

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800">
    <files>

You can do this for all the theme files and hence have all vendor themes unlocked for your use. Then just Save the file. Close all the open files, then open Desktop Manager, connect your device, and it should automatically ask if you want to upgrade. Just click yes and you should be good to go. If it doesn't, you can open the App Loader and do it manually.

Now if you are using an OS other than one provided from your carrier, you'll also need to delete the Vendor.XML file. It can be found in the same location as the BlackBerry.alx file.

Give this a shot, if you get lost, come back here and let us know.

Okay let me get this straight, take out all the vendor IDs, and save?

Do I need to replace vendor IDs with my own?
    07-10-09 10:18 PM
    Just did this with v5.0.0.100 and it worked. Now have 5 more themes. Just remember to set permission level to edit the file.

The Vodaphone shows to be in the list, but won't load up when chosen. Wonder if I forgot to change something??

Any ideas?
    07-16-09 06:09 AM
    I updated the file with no problems, but when I try to run the AppLoader, I get the following error:

Any ideas to fix this?
    Just to resolve the issue, I had mistakenly downloaded the old 8330 software instead of the 8330m software that I actually need and was trying to install that. Needless to say, my phone wasn't having any part of that.
    07-17-09 01:59 AM
    I have done this before but I updated my OS and it reset everything to factory. I got so far to edit the blackberry.alx file and I hit open with notepad/wordpad & even dreamweaver but after I edit it and I go to save it does not let me save the file. It says Access to ".../blackberry.alx" is denied. When I did originally open this file my system did NOT have a program set as the default to open it, so it asked me to set one or use the web to find the right program. Well, I set the default program as wordpad. I know how to change what program to .alx files but I don't know why any of these programs are not letting me save the file so I can unlock the vendor themes that I like. Thanks for the help in advance!
    07-21-09 11:57 AM
    Did anyone else who did this have a couple of garbage icons pop up after they finished? i wound up with MyMonternet, Customer Center Online, Customer Manager, XinJi Service Guide, and Settings (not the BB settings). They aren't in my app list so I just hid them...?
    07-27-09 01:31 AM
    Thanks for the info.
    07-27-09 05:22 AM
    i cant find:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/

i get into "research in motion" folder and dont see "shared"...............what do i do?
    07-28-09 08:06 PM
    Lately I have been accident prone so I think I will leave my OS alone. It seems seems simpler for me to just make my own themes and leave the OS alone. Thanks for the knowledge. I may some day get brave.
    07-30-09 10:49 AM
    I am running Vista and I had to change the file permissions (under "Properties" when you right click the .alx file) so it would let me save the file. I had to check all the 'allow' boxes under properties all the administrators and users to save it. HTH.
    08-09-09 04:23 PM
    i need heelp!
    08-09-09 05:42 PM
    as butter thanks!!
    08-13-09 12:29 PM
    you guys hould trade pins so he can walk you through
    08-13-09 12:30 PM
    thank you! so much help!!
    08-13-09 12:31 PM
    Thanks so much for this! I love the T-Mobile UK theme. There is one thing I noticed though, it doesn't have a Browser. Is that what the "web'n'walk" icon is?
    08-13-09 01:05 PM
    Just grew a set and tried it out, worked without any problems. I didn't read cammattscott's post until after I tried it, so I deleted all of the other numbers in between the quotes, but it makes sense that you just have to replace one with the number of your carrier. One thing that did catch me off guard is that when I first tried to load with DM, it said there was a problem. I went back and clicked on advanced options. I didn't change anything, just hit next and it worked fine. BTW, I'm using a 8830.

P.S. Has anyone tried out the Vodafone theme? I have dial from phone only on, and for some reason it recognizes all the shortcuts except for a for address book and o for options? Has anyone else had this issue?
    08-17-09 01:14 AM
    i cant find:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/

i get into "research in motion" folder and dont see "shared"...............what do i do?
    cant see the shared folder as well.. how do i get around this to find the alx file
    08-20-09 03:50 AM
553 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD