10-13-13 12:22 PM
553 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    I went through the steps from PinStack, and all of a sudden, my Opera Mini no longer downloads anything larger than 1k, though it says that it's downloading everything. I'm using Desktop Software 4.2.2.169. Do I need to upgrade to 4.2.2.305? HELP?!!!
    06-17-08 09:49 PM
    I'm so excited! This is my first official hack of my 8310. I was able to find the .alx file, edit it and save it. Right now, my device is being updated. Can't wait to see what new themes it has. Hopefully, I did it right.

Thanks for the tip. I'll scream for help if something goes wrong, but I'm not technically challenged, so I think I should be ok.

Whoops...it's done and restarting now. Yay! SO far, so good!

Thanks again!

Edit: Woohoo! It worked! I've got the following themes now:

AT&T
    BB Dimension Icon
    BB Dimension Today
    BB Dimension Zen
    O2 Today
    O2 Zen
    Orange
    Rogers
    Telefonica Zen
    TIM Zen
    T-Mobile Zen
    T-Mobile Zen
    Vodafone Today - Green
    Vodafone Today

Thanks again for the hack!
    Last edited by Mich321; 06-18-08 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Update!
    06-18-08 05:41 PM
    i have a Verizon 8330 and I edited the file as you said but its not working. I try adding it through app loader and it pops up saying: "No additional applications designed for your device were found" HELP!
    06-23-08 04:13 PM
    So I was able to unlock the carrier themes... I do have a question though.

Let's say, for example, on on of the T-Mobile Zen themes... is there a way to customize what icons go on the Today screen? Because it puts a bunch of shortcuts that are useless to me there.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. The Home or Today screen (sorry, coming from the Windows Mobile side so don't know what to call it on this side ) takes the first 5 or so icons from the application screen to use on the Zen themes, horizontally or vertically. So re-arranging the icons on the applications screen will allow you to "choose" what shortcuts are on the Home/Today screen.

Of course this means you are stuck with those as the first 5 on the application screen as well, but I can definately live with that. You can even place folders there...
    Last edited by Pibe38; 06-23-08 at 07:32 PM.
    06-23-08 05:48 PM
    i'm not computer savvy by any stretch of the imagination and this took me all of 10 minutes. thanks kasperapd! which theme to use today, so many choices!
    06-24-08 07:30 AM
    Just a note to add....If you've added all the vendor themes according to Kasper's post it takes up a lot of memory on the device. A couple of the themes are almost 1MB each. With the newer devices there is a real issue with free memory on the device. I suggest that once you find a theme you like, that you remove the others you don't use. You will free up much memory and make your device a little faster and reduce the chance for deleted call logs and emails/sms. To do this simply remove the unwanted .cod's from the java directory (located in the same directory as the blackberry.alx.) Remove them and place them in another folder. Then if you want to add them back, simply place the wanted .cod back in the java directory. Each time you do this just run through application loader and it will add or remove the themes.

Just my $.02 from having lost emails and call logs due to memory issues.
    Here's a run down of what you can easly remove:

Theme .cod's are listed as:

net_rim_theme_100...
    net_rim_theme_102... etc.

The numbers below are the vendor ID's for each carrier and will help you identify which themes are which:

You can safely delete any of the below vendor-numbered themes. The size listed is an average size for that carrier's theme. As you can see a couple of them are quite big.

100=Tmobile 240kb
    102=AT&T 769kb
    104=Sprint 17kb
    105=Verizon 572kb
    107=Rogers 287kb
    109=Bell 194kb
    114=TMo UK 243kb
    115=TIM 698kb
    119=Orange 635kb
    120=Vodafone 624kb
    125=O2 349kb
    129=Telefonica 30kb

You can also safely delete TMobile myfaves apps if you don't use myfaves:

net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod

I don't recommend removing the bbdimension... some of the above vendor themes need these in order to run. However, get rid of the big vendor-coded ones at the very least, if you aren't using them.
    Ok... I read this whole thread, I have 2 quick questions though.

If I relocked the theme I didn't use by adding the original vendor ID (I kept a copy of the original) file, do I also need to delete the .cod files? Or do they get automatically uninstalled when relocked?

And related to this... in order to uninstall the T-Mobile Fave 5 program... can I just delete:

net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod

from the .alx file? Or do I need to delete the .cod files from the Java folder?

I'm almost positive I can just delete it from the .alx file, but I want to be sure since I'm new at this. I also feel better just erasing reference to it instead of deleting he files.

Thanks for all the info, and thanks in advance for any help with these questions!

EDIT: I just went ahead and did it... it all works fine now and I have much more memory. I wanted to keep one of the Vodafone themes but it seems they are linked. I removed reference to only one of them on the .alx file and while I was still able to see the one I kept, it would not allow to me to activate it.

The T-Mobile theme and everything else seem to be working fine after removing the Fave 5 files.
    Last edited by Pibe38; 06-25-08 at 03:19 AM.
    06-25-08 01:36 AM
    I have a quesrion about desktop manager. Should I download the latest version from the verison website or the bb website? My current version doesn't show me the file I need to edit even after synching up my 8330

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-08 01:11 PM
    What version do you have? I did with 4.3 and it worked fine.

Also, did you make sure you downloaded the corresponding OS to your PC? Because without it you won't find the file.

Finally, make sure you set your computer to display hidden and system files just in case.
    06-29-08 02:09 PM
    Ok, I'm the one who royally messed up my blackberry. I did this, and got a 523 error message. So I followed the directions on how to restore a dead blackberry, loaded my backup, and re downloaded all my 3rd party apps. Took all weekend to get it back to normal. My question is, how can I reedit my changes to put it back the way it was initially. every time I run the app loader on DM it referres back to what I changed and it screws up my phone. Good thing I have a 2nd computer to restore everything back to normal, but now the I am afraid to plug my BB into my primary computer since it took me so long to get it back to normal. I guess I should have left well enough alone!
    06-30-08 07:57 AM
    I was able to unlock all the themes for my 8130 tonight. It rocks! Thanks for the great tutorial
    07-01-08 03:45 AM
    I've been able to do this with my 8830, but my new 8330 isn't working. The phone updates, but there are no additional themes.

I've edited the alx file and removed vendor.xml. I have a Verizon phone running 4.3. Has anyone else gotten this particular phone to work?
    07-01-08 10:41 AM
    Best guide there is, by far!! have used this multiple time... and it works wonders!!

As for your instructions... why don't you update the OP to make it easier to follow. Many people get lost because you tell them to delete the vendor numbers... if you simply add your vendor ID in, it works and does the trick!!
    07-01-08 10:26 PM
    OK so I tiried this and it wouldnt let me save it kept saying you do not have permission to edit this file. So I took the one out saved it to my desktop and copied and pasted it to word then saved it as blackberry alx file. when I plugged my device in it didnt recognize the update so I tried updated manually an it told me wasnt for my device?????? help
    07-02-08 06:21 PM
    Never mind got it. The o2 theme wont work but the others do very cool thanks
    07-02-08 06:35 PM
    Does this work on the Sprint Curve?

EDIT: So I tried it and nothing extra. I tried re-editing the Blackberry.alx and just edited back the vendor codes for Sprint, how would I transfer them? They don't let me automatically or manually edit
    Last edited by djstarion; 07-05-08 at 06:23 PM.
    07-05-08 05:42 PM
    new to the forums/blackberries...ive had my curve(8300) for almost a year now and love it. unlocking the themes worked like a charm...hope tolearn much more thanks for all the info
    07-09-08 06:19 PM
    i can get as far as the research in motion i dont have the next folder. cab this be done on the 8330? and im on verizon.
    07-12-08 10:08 PM
    does anybody have the t-mobile 8100 original blackberry.alx file? i edited mine and it works great - but i wanted the original.
    07-15-08 08:56 PM
    hey guys i tried this with my 8310 and when im in the apploader, it says that i cannot load the browser app because net.rim.blackberry.xml is not available... can anyone help?
    07-16-08 05:26 AM
    This worked for my 8320 on 4.2.2 but my carrier brought out an official version of 4.5 so I upgraded. This "hack" doesn't seem to work on 4.5 - or am I missing something?
    07-17-08 04:09 PM
    Hi everyone. I have used Windows Devices for years and years and I am on my first Verizon BB Pearl.

This thing is great.

i found this thread, and i am downloading Desktop Manager 4.5 from the blackberry website, but i am confused. Everywhere here it says so make sure i have the current OS installed on my PC for my BB. Coming from a Windows Mobile background, having the OS iunstalled on my PC orboably doesnt mean anything similar to a blackberry user. So, a little help fellas?
    07-18-08 10:23 AM
    Has anyone been able to unlock the themes to a Verizon curve 8330. I have tried to get it to work with no success.
    Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with theirs.
    07-21-08 11:51 AM
    I noticed aarmento was able to unlock the themes. I tried again and got it to work. Thanks for the info on how to unlock the themes.
    07-22-08 01:23 PM
    Hello all, I'm very new here. I have the Curve 8330 on Verizon. I just tried to unlock the themes and was successful after a few problems, so I thought I would share what I ran into. First, I could not find the folder "Shared." This was solved by downloading the OS from Verizon (check post #6 of this thread for other carriers). Once I had that downloaded and installed, Desktop Manager could not find my phone, but my phone was accessible through Windows Explorer. In order to solve this problem, I completely uninstalled Desktop Manager and Device Manager. Then I reinstalled the OS first, then i reinstalled Desktop Manager. After many tries, this seemed to work, you just have to make sure you download and install the OS before you install Desktop Manager. I just figured since I saw a few people running into similar issues as I was having, I would try and lend a hand. I hope this helps. Good Luck.
    07-23-08 03:29 PM
    I had the same exact problem. I went through the same steps to get my phone to work. Glad to hear you got your phone to work.
    07-27-08 12:14 AM
553 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD