10-13-13 11:22 AM
553 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Does anyone know why I would not have the file that we are told to change in the very first post of this thread. I went to the location specified on my computer and it was not there.
    05-23-08 06:27 AM
    Once i edit the file and try to save it, it says access denied?? any help? please

Never mind i just needed to change my windows administrator settings. Thanks Again this is great!
    I have a cure for your problem when trying to save the blackberry.alx file and getting the "access denied" error. (This is for Windows Vista). Before editing the blackberry.alx file you need to do the following: right click blackberry.alx and select options. Then go to the security tab. For group or user names at the top (SYSTEM,ADMINISTRATORS,USERS), you will need to select USERS then click edit. The next step is to check the box to allow full control then click apply and you are done. Again this works in Windows Vista. I would like this to be sticky'd somewhere for the Vista users who are so down in the dumps about not being able to unlock the vendor themes.
    05-26-08 08:42 AM
    Ok, so here's kind of a stupid question probably, but the only way to find out is to ask I suppose...

I have the Tmo Curve and absolutely love the phone, but now that Sprint has the Curve and a better Unlimited plan, I am switching. My Sprint Curve should be here in a couple days and my buddy already has it. I don't necessarily like the Sprint theme and have become quite fond of the Tmo Zen theme. If I were to unlock that and use it, it wouldn't change the actual software to the Tmo software as far as disabling the video camera or messing up the Sprint Nav would it?

Thanks!
    05-28-08 09:31 PM
    ok i dont get it
    im running the 4.5....37 on my bb curve and i do all of this and still nothing
    im editing it via microsoft word but nothing
    05-29-08 01:46 AM
    First off you need to have the appropriate OS for your device loaded on your PC. Once loaded, find the blackberry.alx file. It will generally be found here:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/
    Like several others I do not have this folder. How do I know what the 'appropriate OS' is? My Blackberry's Options>About says:
    Blackberry 8330
    smartphone (CDMA)
    v4.3.0.127 (Platform 3.1.0.73)

This thread is huge and I have searched it but I cannot find a solution for finding the folder. Nor is there a 'blackberry.alx' file located anywhere on my computer. I am running Windows XP.

Thanks for the help.
    05-29-08 04:40 AM
    do I change the filename from blackberry.alx to something else because when I try to save it tells me that it can not save and to be sure that the path and file name is correct
    05-29-08 10:46 PM
    Worked like a charm!!!! Thanks

Personally like the Orange Themes : )
    Funny. I could unlock all themes except the Orange one!! My favorites are TIM zen, TMo zen(USA) and Vodafone today!
    05-29-08 10:57 PM
    So i unlocked some of the themes successfully, but what if i want to remove the themes I dont like? How do I do that?
    05-31-08 09:16 AM
    Can anyone help a newbie out - there are loads of references to vendor in the file involved and I'm not sure which I should delete - could I PM it to somone who could tell me/take them out?

TIA!
    05-31-08 09:42 AM
    I did everything you said, by changing the vendor ID's but i can't save the file......it says it's restricted and will only let me save it as a .txt file........any help? i'm running on Vista if that helps any....
    05-31-08 07:15 PM
    I did everything you said, by changing the vendor ID's but i can't save the file......it says it's restricted and will only let me save it as a .txt file........any help? i'm running on Vista if that helps any....
    I have already posted the answer to this problem, here it goes again...
    In Windows Vista you basically need to go to the properties of the alx file you are editing and then change the permissions to allow all for the "user" name. Select user then edit to allow all access to the file. This will make it so you can edit the file then save your changes. This is a quick rundown but you will figure it out now that you know where to go to fix this. Good luck!
    06-01-08 08:37 PM
    Bump.

I have XP and there is no blackberry.alx file located on my computer. What am I doing wrong here?
    06-01-08 11:14 PM
    You have to wait for the previews to load. Sometimes it takes a minute. If the preview doesn't load after a minute or so then you have a problem.
    06-01-08 11:23 PM
    Bump.

I have XP and there is no blackberry.alx file located on my computer. What am I doing wrong here?
    Have you downloaded the latest handset software and run the installation for it? If so then browse to the folder previously mentioned to find the blackberry alx file. Again download the latest blackberry handset software from your service provider then follow instructions to install.
    06-01-08 11:29 PM
    Does this work on the Pearl 8130 and if so what is the vendor ID for Alltel?
    thankx
    06-02-08 07:43 PM
    Great thanks for the info.
    06-03-08 05:39 AM
    THANKS!! after thinking about trying this for a day or so *giggles* I got up the nerver to try this and it Worked!

Thanks for making it easy to follow.
    I Did this to my 8830 WE.
    06-04-08 08:03 PM
    I will tell you that I have no idea what you will or won't gain if you do that. I have never seen anyone doing that before so I just can't give you a good answer. Sorry.

well i did hahaha... it give you some strange error msg next time it does it i'll post it here..
    06-04-08 08:34 PM
    Does this work on the Pearl 8130 and if so what is the vendor ID for Alltel?
    thankx
    yes it does... i just did it to mine...

im us cellular so i cant answer the alltell part of your question
    06-04-08 08:34 PM
    So i unlocked some of the themes successfully, but what if i want to remove the themes I dont like? How do I do that?

anyone got an answer to this one?

after i unlocked everything my phone memory went form 21mg to 8 and under..

and i lost VIIgo for some reason ?
    06-04-08 08:37 PM
    Actually, i kind of am leaning towards the pink highlight TMO zen theme... it has 6 spots across the bottom, and you are able to get into your profiles from the main screen by scrolling up to the speaker... Just trying to get past the fact it highlights pink... Notice in below screen shot the Browser is now TMO web 'n' walk icon (all the way to the left)... lol
    yahah! thats the one i like! im especially liking the 6 spots at the bottom instead of 5, and i dont like zen so ya, it works fo me
    06-04-08 10:30 PM
    Have you downloaded the latest handset software and run the installation for it? If so then browse to the folder previously mentioned to find the blackberry alx file. Again download the latest blackberry handset software from your service provider then follow instructions to install.
    When I bought my phone it came with a disk, Blackberry User Tools. The disk had software on it which I installed: Device Manager, Desktop Manager and Media Manager. The disk has the Sprint logo on the installation program. It appears to be the latest version.

Perhaps this will help:

Is there something ELSE that I need to install? What is the 'handset software'? Is it something that was not included on the disk that came with the phone? From what I am finding out, my phone came with the latest OS already on it.
    06-05-08 01:22 PM

try this it worked for me

BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

make sure you read it all before you start ..
    06-06-08 11:15 AM
    I just installed the lastest os onto my laptop. now desktop manager wont even detect my phone its stuck at disconnected when I plug it in though autoplay still opens. Now im screwered help anyone?

well I fixed this I had to re install BB Desktop Manger, but looking back I guess I could have just delted it from Hardware Manager and re run the Plug & Play.

Anyway the problem now is I get A no application found error. HELP!!!

Can some also check my editing. I only changed Verzion and ATT.
    Last edited by integra144; 06-13-08 at 12:08 AM.
    06-12-08 10:49 PM
    yep, did this a while ago, pretty cool... most favorite theme was the pink highlight tmo one... but now ive got bigger and better themes
    06-13-08 03:54 PM
553 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD