10-13-13 11:22 AM
553 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    So sad
    no BB for a few days, geez! it sucks to rely this much on a phone, lol
    03-10-08 06:31 PM
    Yup - major suckage to be without something you've come to rely on. I felt like that when I swapped ISP and was without the internet for a few days. That was pre-BB though

If you can post the parts of the alx file where it starts fileset themes then goes into the provider list, maybe we can figure out what's missing and what got all jumbled up.
    03-11-08 02:39 AM
    I have an 8320 with T-Mobile and am using Vista. I am not seeimg what I am supposed to in the Program files/RIM folder. Can someone update the instructions for an 8320 with a vista laptop. Thanks!
    03-11-08 03:24 AM
    Okay for the love of god I cannot figure this out and I thought I was somewhat PC savvy, I just got a new curve with the newest version of software on it (V4.2.2.180 platform 2.5.0.36) and I cannot :

1. Find the ALX file
    2. I cannot find the "shared" folder
    3. I am using V4.3 of DM
    4. The 8320 Curve is on T-mobile
    5. I am starting drink heavily!!!

Opps sorry for the last post the frustration level is extremely high! Please please help I have followed the instructions at the beginnong of this thread but to no avail do I find any of the items that should be there. Do I need to re-install the newest version of my handheld software (4.2.2.180?) this is the same software on the T-mobile website????
    Please offer my some assistance thank you in advance, I cam from the Dash to the Curve and I could really modify that Dash.
    Hey gthm,
    I am using the same exact phone as you with the same software and also am not able to follow the instructions that were explained. Hopefully someone out there with a Curve can help clear this up for us. Thanks!!
    03-11-08 03:42 AM
    musiclover - see if you have this folder in vista
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\

also make sure that you have hidden files & folders showing.

and if it's not in the above folder, as you have vista use the improved search to look for blackberry.alx
    03-11-08 06:03 AM
    musiclover - see if you have this folder in vista
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\

also make sure that you have hidden files & folders showing.

and if it's not in the above folder, as you have vista use the improved search to look for blackberry.alx
    No to both suggestions. Did the advanced search of everything and that file or folder did not come up... arghhhh.... what now?
    03-11-08 01:35 PM
    have you got the latest version of the OS installed on your pc?

if not, there should be a link to it on here
    03-11-08 04:13 PM
    Yes I do have the latest OS on my phone and also the latest Blackberry software on my computer. I downloaded it from the website, not the cd that came with the phone.
    03-11-08 04:24 PM
    ok - I've got one more thing you can try then I'm all out of ideas.. it just occurred to me that vista doesn't search hidden files/folders by default so you need to use the advanced search which you can get to by Start > Search and then click the Advanced Search button on the right.

When you get the extra options, check the Include non-indexed, hidden blah blah blah box and then search your C: drive for the blackberry.alx file. It might take a while, but with any luck it should return the right result.

*edit* scratch the above.. it didn't find my file, but when I went directly to c:\program files\common files it did find it, no advanced search needed.

Do you have the c:\program files\common files or c:\program files(x86)\common files folder at all? what happens if you search in there
    Last edited by TornadoDivine; 03-11-08 at 04:41 PM.
    03-11-08 04:36 PM
    So far, I've been unable to find any information on unlocking vendor themes for the 8130 (I really like the Verizon theme). Is there any way to unlock vendor themes for the 8130?
    03-11-08 09:44 PM
    Well'p I messed something up and I don't know what I did, I tried getting rid of some of the Themes I didn't really like after unlocking them, but then now I have NO THEME! and all my other ones got erased, can I get this same file except for the Tmobile carrier?
    Please?
    Here Liz,

Maybe this will help for your new Berry. I have T-Mobile also, her is an exact copy/paste of my filesets from the blackberry.alx file.

<!-- Bell Mobility Canada filesets -->
    <!-- AT&T US filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8100" _vendorID="100">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_102a_icon_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Sprint filesets -->
    <!-- Telefonica filesets -->
    <!-- TIM filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_115_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- T-Mobile filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="100">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_114_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Vodafone filesets -->
    <fileset series="8100" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="100">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_120_today_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_120_green_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- O2 filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_125_today_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_125_zen_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Orange France filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_119_icon_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Rogers filesets -->
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_107_zen_240x260_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Verizon US filesets -->
    03-15-08 04:30 AM
    Let me first start off by saying, we here at CrackBerry take no responsibility if you attempt this and royally screw up your BlackBerry. This is not a difficult process, but you have to be a little techinal saavy to do this. Now with that being said.....

You'll need to edit your blackberry.alx file.

First off you need to have the appropriate OS for your device loaded on your PC. Once loaded, find the blackberry.alx file. It will generally be found here:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/8800-v4.2.1.74_P2.3.0.54

**The last folder is the OS you have loaded on your PC, my example is the 8800 OS**

Once found, open the file using WordPad, and look for something similiar to this example (note, this is example only)

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800" _vendorID="102">
    <files>

This is the theme file, you'll need to edit it and take out the vendorID. It should look like this when done.

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8800">
    <files>

You can do this for all the theme files and hence have all vendor themes unlocked for your use. Then just Save the file. Close all the open files, then open Desktop Manager, connect your device, and it should automatically ask if you want to upgrade. Just click yes and you should be good to go. If it doesn't, you can open the App Loader and do it manually.

Now if you are using an OS other than one provided from your carrier, you'll also need to delete the Vendor.XML file. It can be found in the same location as the BlackBerry.alx file.

Give this a shot, if you get lost, come back here and let us know.
    Kasperapd
    Thanks for the post. It worked on my BB8320 the first time through. For those who couldn't find the folder C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files, I didn't show up on my pc until I downloaded the appropriate OS. From there everything went well. Thanks alot!!!
    03-20-08 12:07 AM
    I have the BB8820 and would like the Verizon theme, I did the unlock feature on the themes it worked but no Verizon theme. Any reason why and any way I can get it?
    03-21-08 05:50 AM
    Thanks for the help for us 8130 users. I do have one question though. I loaded a few of the themes on to my pearl, but a couple are not so great. How do I get them off the phone? I thought I could just delete them in the Advanced Options, Applications area. But they are not listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    03-22-08 01:05 AM
    this was great thanks! I just did it to my 8130 and worked like a charm. I unlocked the AT&T and tmob themes, I really like the Tmob, nice and clean
    03-26-08 06:22 PM
    WOW THAT WAS TOO EASY!!!
    i love the new themes!!
    thats been there this whole time!
    i wish i could get the verizon theme though!
    03-26-08 06:38 PM
    Hi guys and girls,

Has anyone found a workaround for the people getting the error "net.rim.browser.xml" not found when loading apploader, after editing the blackberry.alx file??

I can't load any new themes on my 8830 with 4.2.2.196, all i want is the Rogers theme lol..
    03-26-08 09:53 PM
    This is a stupid question but I was wondering why would i unlock a theme. I have some themes that i go for free and i would like to modify them using plazmic but they are in alx of course. How can i do this with out getting the thm files
    03-27-08 04:45 AM
    Anyone else try the JLGUI method to put vendor themes on??
    It only takes 30 seconds, you can remove themes just as fast with it too..
    03-27-08 01:20 PM
    kcladygemini, thanks for posting that, I had to send it back, and when I tried to sink the new one it alsmost did the same thing, since it said I had to update my prog files, yikes!
    so I ran a search erased all the BB stuff and had to start all over again, but at least this one looks normal!
    thanks again, yu da bomb!
    03-28-08 06:39 PM
    sweet, i finally got it to work, i'm loving the pink t-mobile theme!
    Last edited by kmc979; 03-28-08 at 07:47 PM.
    03-28-08 07:03 PM
    ok, if i don't want a theme, do i just edit the code and it will go away? i am down to way low memory now.
    03-28-08 07:53 PM
    I get where to look, but NO .alx I have the os that was included with my bb 8320 from tmobile loaded on my vista.

This is driving me nuts...any help would be GREAT!!!
    04-05-08 08:04 PM
    This is awesome I've been wanting some new themes!!
    04-06-08 07:10 PM
    Maaaaaaan I love themes! This is the best thing since sliced bread. After I really decide which ones I want to keep (I'm rockin an iPhone theme thingie right now) I'm going to delete the rest through Java. Got to save some memory. Thanks guys!
    04-10-08 11:40 PM
553 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD