i tried saving my theme as a .jad file but what am i supposed to do afterwards? when i saved it, it saved 4 or 5 different files that were .jad.

i tried to search but i didnt find anything

im trying to make my themes OTA but im not quite sure how to.. any insight would be great!! i have my own FTP site if that helps any..

TIA
    08-06-08 10:59 AM
    i tried saving my theme as a .jad file but what am i supposed to do afterwards? when i saved it, it saved 4 or 5 different files that were .jad.

i tried to search but i didnt find anything

im trying to make my themes OTA but im not quite sure how to.. any insight would be great!! i have my own FTP site if that helps any..

TIA
    You need to export your theme as a jad file. Load that entire JAD folder to an ftp site (your server)

Open the JAD folder and copy the location of the single JAD file inside that folder. You'll have a bunch of .COD files and one JAD. Link the location of that JAD file in your post and that becomes your link for OTA.

I hope that helps! feel free to email me if you need to.
    08-06-08 12:05 PM
    In order to make your themes OTA you will need a server that is Apache. You must also have access to an .htaccess file. The .htaccess file actually tells a browser how to handle certain file extensions (ala the .jad).

Once you have that in place, you upload your theme exported under the JAD. The upload will include the 1 JAD file and the .COD files that accompanied the extraction. You may have anywhere from 2-20 (or more depending on graphics) .COD files.

In general I put each theme in its own directory (easier to find if you need to make a change)...

hope that helped!

Steve
    08-06-08 12:07 PM
    Lol E! Jinx!
    08-06-08 12:07 PM
    crap.. lol!! alright.. i'll look at all that junk when i get home.. if i dont get it straight.. they'll remain in zip form.. haha!!
    08-06-08 12:09 PM
    Lol E! Jinx!
    lol you owe me a man coke! preferably long island style!
    08-06-08 12:09 PM
    Sorry for my ignorance guys, but is there a step by step tutorial somewhere that expalins how to set up my personal website to allow download/OTA installation? I have posted JAD files as hyperlinks, but they just show the code on the screen when they are accessed. Thanks!
    08-23-08 06:31 PM
    does your server support .htaccess?

if so...you need to set up a handler for the .jad extension.

it would look like this:

AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod cod
    08-23-08 06:40 PM
    you ever get it working?
    12-07-08 08:41 PM
    can't get it to work! ugh!
    12-17-08 01:25 PM
    I know it's an kind old thread but StevenInSTL put the wrong .htaccess instruction.

it should look like this instead
    AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor .jad
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod .cod
    Use a text file and rename it .htaccess --> upload to your site (parent folder where the .jad reside)

and you should be able to download OTA.
    02-18-09 11:31 AM
    How do I get the application to work? I downloaded the files and everything like the OTA says, and the .JAD from the phone... and now I don't see the application to actually use it
    02-18-09 12:05 PM
    thanks i was having issues with this too
    02-21-09 06:50 AM
    In case this hasn't been clarified, for Unix/Linux servers hosting OTA downloads, this .htaccess file needs to be in the same directory as the .jad and multiple .cod files:

.htaccess file content:

AddType application/java-archive jar

Remember to upload .htaccess, .jad and .cod files in Binary FTP mode.

Provide a link or an ability to click on the .jad file to initiate the OTA download via the BB's browser.
    02-21-09 12:02 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I just did my first theme last night and attempted to make a OTA link only to have my Curve show code from the page instead.

Your suggestion has fixed my problem!

Thanks!
    02-21-09 09:21 PM
    what if it was alx? is there any need for ur own website or is that directly done using DM to ur phone?
    02-22-09 05:56 AM
    You are correct. The .alx file is used with your Download Manager, the .jad is for OTA.
    02-22-09 08:28 AM
    what if it was alx? is there any need for ur own website or is that directly done using DM to ur phone?
    Exporting to .alx is for DM installations. The export typically produces 1 .alx and 1 .cod file; in DM, click on the .cod file. I usually like to zip these 2 files together if I provide them for folks to d/l onto their Windows computer. Apple folks need to do the OTA and .jad approach.
    02-22-09 10:24 AM
    thanks u guys
    02-23-09 10:45 PM
    Ahhh sweet
    02-24-09 01:12 PM
    In case this hasn't been clarified, for Unix/Linux servers hosting OTA downloads, this .htaccess file needs to be in the same directory as the .jad and multiple .cod files:

.htaccess file content:

AddType application/java-archive jar

Remember to upload .htaccess, .jad and .cod files in Binary FTP mode.

Provide a link or an ability to click on the .jad file to initiate the OTA download via the BB's browser.

im sorry i dont understand a single word... i'm new at this... where do i find or make all that .... what you said above? is the file somewhere in my computer? if i make it where do i put it?

sorry i dont understand computer talk. (ie binary..what does that mean?) LOL. i just want to upload my ota files so i can post them on my blog. If someone can give me baby steps... 1. do this 2. do that etc.... (i dont need to understand why or how really, just want to get it done and i can follow easy instructions

thanks!
    Last edited by MysticMoonstone; 04-14-09 at 08:02 AM.
    04-14-09 08:00 AM
    bringing it back from the dead!!

ive been using the latest theme builder. ive exported the theme ive made and saved it 'Publish to Web' (OTA) and ive got 1 .jad and 17 .cod files. what should i do next? where would be the best place to upload online??

im using a regular PC. not mac
    04-01-10 06:45 PM
    Just check out our site MyBBOTA.com . All you need are the COD files to make the OTA. You will get a link to share and you don't have to worry about messy FTP uploads!
    04-05-10 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD