06-28-10 03:11 PM
31 12
tools
    block all bar 4 devs from having the `deal of the day` for an entire month.
    rich get richer...
    06-02-10 06:51 PM
    block all bar 4 devs from having the `deal of the day` for an entire month.
    rich get richer...
    Huh? Did I miss something?
    06-02-10 06:53 PM
    mobihand theme throwdown!

lunars edge designs
    jc designs
    hedone designs
    bt designs

(lot of designing going on)

5 themes across mon-fri for each developer deal of the day!

equals increased sales and so harder for other developers to get their themes high up the charts!!

tho my sales are still the same so im not too bothered about it!

app world is where the money is - dave get your paypal sorted and you will see lmao
    06-02-10 07:06 PM

app world is where the money is - dave get your paypal sorted and you will see lmao
    amen to that, seems cb is purely about profit and not quality anymore.....a sad day for all
    06-02-10 07:16 PM
    amen to that, seems cb is purely about profit and not quality anymore.....a sad day for all
    Seems that some of the theme developers out there feel the same way. Not you, but there are others out there that I am speaking of.
    06-02-10 07:56 PM
    It also makes one more greatful for people like Rockee, Auggie, Zachriel, Big22 and others on the forum who are making great themes for free. Some of the best themes (IMO) available are free. Or donation.

Funny how only free apps get a "Sticky" thread and link listing but free themes don't
    06-02-10 08:11 PM
    Its a competition between the top 4 theme developers... by top 4 it means the most in profit not number of sales... so yes, the rich get richer.
    06-02-10 09:53 PM
    Personally, I don't blame the developers that are part of the promotion... I blame Mobihand because it seems that they don't care about the rest of the developers. But, I'm happy to heard that are devs doing great on App world, is good to have another choice

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 07:47 AM
    oh trust me, i have nothing against any of the developers personally. Like you said though its about Mobihand not caring about the rest of the developers.

Just so you know i did call David at Mobihand and talked to him about the whole thing and explained that a lot of the developers feel like they got screwed over. He told me this wasn't the intentions of the competition but when it comes down to it, its about making money.
    06-03-10 08:03 AM
    There's not doubt about that, it's all about money. Thanks for the update. I think it would be great they take into account others developers at the end (I think) if everyone start selling more, Mobihand received more money.
    I also send an email yesterday suggesting to take into account more devs.... I hope they listen...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 09:02 AM
    yea i should also add that my comments arent aimed at any developer or anything, just feels to me like if you want to side with just a few developers, then other devs are gonna go elsewhere.

perfect example is Apps (not themes) where i know several developers who got sidelined and nevr got promoted for their apps on BB, they now make a killing in the android market after giving up on BB. then we complain about no good apps.
    06-03-10 09:18 AM
    also another thing they have done which really has killed off sales for a massive ammount of people (iv asked around alot and got solid facts, so this isnt just a guess) is dropping the `top` sections on app from 100 down to 50, thats half the products, huge difference.
    06-03-10 09:35 AM
    Being one of the original theme developers mainly for the Blackberry Storm market and a few for trackball devices since the end of March 09, I feel completely dissed, to be honest.

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying my themes are better than anyone elses, but it really confuses me when I have been building reputation for great customer service and high quality themes that take functionality and revolutionize how you use your Blackberry for over a year and then a bunch of new blood comes in out of nowhere and somehow completely slaughtered my sales and is recieving tons of exposure in a quarter of the time.

I dunno what happened, but alot of original theme developers that *I* remember learning the ins and outs of ground breaking themes with, are getting left behind and somehow, all these new guys are making the big sales and getting the big sponsorships...

What happened, whats going on??
    06-04-10 02:40 PM
    So now im just getting more ticked off. iBerry has been DoD 3 times in one week... we have a competing theme and cant get that kind of luck... what gives?
    06-05-10 10:26 AM
    I think this is the reason:
    Due to a computer glitch, iBerry wasn’t set as the Deal of the Day for Thursday until 10am, pst. To make the competition “fair”, we are extending this weeks competition by one day, Saturday and iBerry will be the DoD !

Don’t miss this opportunity to make yours one of the very best themes for BlackBerry – read more about our Theme Throwdown and how you can win by participating in a re-tweet contest!
    Mobihand App-tivity Blog

Probably when it's your week your theme should appear on deal of the day (I think).
    06-05-10 11:16 AM
    not everyone gets a week.
    06-05-10 11:18 AM
    ah, so they get a day and a half for the deal of the day, i wonder how many others have been and will be so fortunate
    06-05-10 11:20 AM
    iBerry was DoD 5-30, 6-3, and 6-5.... Its nothing agains lunars edge or his theme, hes a great guy, its just about the other developers who are getting the ****ty end of the stick...
    06-05-10 11:22 AM
    It is not fair, but I think it would be best to do something about it. And the way I see it there are two options: go to the app world and leave Mobihand as a second choice, or somehow make Mobihand realize that taking into account all developers is a strategy where all win, specially them.
    06-05-10 11:49 AM
    a lot of us theme devs have already moved to appworld, the only thing that keeps me to mobihand is the instant approval so i can sell the theme while i am waiting for approval/making modifications to the theme to meet AW requirements... Mobihand sales have been on a downward trend for a while now (for me and a lot of other devs) and i think that with app world getting ready to allow for carrier billing it is more worth it for everyone to place our products there.
    06-05-10 11:52 AM
    I have not registered yet in the app world. Because I am somewhat new in selling themes (making free themes for more than a year). And I wanted to see the response and comments from the users before going to AW. Now that I've read that several developers have good experiences with AW and also I've gain confidence, I am very encouraged about going over there. In the end, Mobihand loss.
    06-05-10 12:06 PM
    Hey, I get the impression that some of you folks are not so happy with the Theme Throwdown! Well, if you're not happy, we're not. MobiHand started as a developer-oriented distribution organization, and we remain so, with the ideas and interests of the developer community always in mind.

MobiHand has been the vehicle for MANY theme developers to launch their commercial business, and we're proud of the role we've had in getting quality themes onto users devices, and building revenue streams for theme builders. The Throwdown was an attempt to acknowledge -- and boost sales -- for a handful of theme developers, and clearly we couldn't include everyone in the 'handful'. So we hear you! We're likely to focus on shorter-cycle promotions, to allow more rotation, hope this helps. Let us know if you've got themes you'd like included in the Deal-of-the-Day or other theme promotions, at developers at mobihand dot com.
    06-08-10 04:33 PM
    MobiHand has been the vehicle for MANY theme developers to launch their commercial business
    The Throwdown was an attempt to acknowledge -- and boost sales -- for a handful of theme developers
    your 2 statements disagree with each other.

ok so the comments on the throwdown were `four of the best` which leads to the ultimate question, why do you need to boost their sales if they are top anyways?

this surely is just a case of the rich getting richer (and the poor leaving and going to appworld where things are a little more `unbiased`)
    06-08-10 04:45 PM
    This is the first time we have run this type of promotion and it seems to us totally reasonable that we would offer leading developers the opportunity to "throwdown" their best themes. I guess we could run a similar event that challenged a set of theme developers who have not yet achieved much traction.

As far as leaving and going to App World - to our knowledge App World offers absolutely no marketing support for a new theme developer. No promotions, no Deal-of-the-Day, no "throwdowns" so a new theme developer is likely to start and remain buried in their catalog forever.

We actively work with a lot of app/game/theme developers (both established and new) to obtain visibility for their products and we'll continue to do that.
    06-08-10 05:21 PM
    As far as leaving and going to App World - to our knowledge App World offers absolutely no marketing support for a new theme developer. No promotions, no Deal-of-the-Day, no "throwdowns" so a new theme developer is likely to start and remain buried in their catalog forever.
    appworld has a `featured` list, much like deal of the day its a large and with image representation of an app or theme (they have several at a time), they also `feature` free items as well!

while they dont have promotions, that affects the revnue earned by the dev, not yourselves, so kinda hard to validate that as a pro or con.

plus they have the added advantage of having appworld instaled on the majority of new devices, so `impulse buys` are gonna happen alot more.

also it could be worth noting saying you have `throwdowns` as a plus, given the context of this thread, probably doesnt come across as a pro at the moment.

and lastly, since the 2.0 version of the appstore, the ammount of items in the `top free` and `top paid` listings has reduced from 100 to 50, therefore leaving those 50 affected to (as you put it)
    remain buried in their catalog forever
    both that last item and the throwdown has affected a LOT of developers negatively (and benifited four)
    06-08-10 05:53 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD