08-16-08 05:54 PM
28 12
tools
    OK, I found a freebie theme online, and I downloaded it to my computer. It was a zipped file, and I extracted it. It had 4 files inside: a .thm file, an .alx file, a shortcut to the originating website, and a .cod file.

I copied the files to the media card in my Blackberry Curve (8330), and I've tried clicking on each one individually, but I only get "unable to display file".

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
    08-04-08 05:32 PM
    You need to store themes and any other application to your device memoury, not your media card.
    08-04-08 05:33 PM
    You need to store themes and any other application to your device memoury, not your media card.
    REally? I did put the other theme I downloaded yesterday on the media card, and it works. It had a very different set of files, and one was a .jad file that gave me a download option when I clicked it.

Should I move that whole set of files in that folder to the device memory?
    08-04-08 05:42 PM
    I honestly would. Media cards are for just that - media. I am shocked to hear that you installed a theme to your media card and it functioned properly. Try installing the other theme to your device memoury and see if that doesn't help.
    08-04-08 05:47 PM
    I honestly would. Media cards are for just that - media. I am shocked to hear that you installed a theme to your media card and it functioned properly. Try installing the other theme to your device memoury and see if that doesn't help.
    OK, I just plugged my bb in, and when I get to it through windows explorer, I only have the option of putting things on the media card. I don't have the option of putting it on device memory.
    08-04-08 05:49 PM
    Do you have mass storage mode enabled?
    08-04-08 06:00 PM
    Do you have mass storage mode enabled?
    yes.......
    08-04-08 06:03 PM
    Then you should have the option of putting *anything* on your device memoury from the desktop manager.
    08-04-08 06:07 PM
    Then you should have the option of putting *anything* on your device memoury from the desktop manager.
    But I"m not using desktop manager, I'm using Windows explorer.
    08-04-08 06:13 PM
    Um. Using the desktop manager is the only way you can successfully install anything to your device. Try using it to install your theme.
    08-04-08 06:15 PM
    Um. Using the desktop manager is the only way you can successfully install anything to your device. Try using it to install your theme.
    Yesterday, another person on here (JeffH, I think)told me that is a better way of doing things, and in fact, I was able to successfully install another theme on the media card.

I'm a noob, so I'm not really familiar with how this thing works , but everyone keeps warning me not to clog up the device memory, so I'm kind of scared of with that. And as for using windows explorer, everything else has worked quite well with that.
    08-04-08 06:21 PM
    That is odd. You should not be able to run themes successfully from your device. Media cards are supposed to be for just that, media. You should not be able to run any applications off your card. And you should be using the DM. Odd.....
    08-04-08 06:29 PM
    Since I see my name being used in #11, I'll respond. I would stay out of it otherwise, since I don't use themes, and have deleted all but the BBdimension Zen from my device. However, until I deleted them, they were in device memory. I'd be surprised if it's possible to run a theme from a memory card. No doubt they can be stored there.

Mass storage mode can only see the media card, it can't see the device memory. Using the App Loader will properly install the themes in device memory.

Again, I'm not trying to intrude on a discussion about a capability that I don't use, but since mistyinca rubbed my lamp, I had no choice but to appear.
    08-04-08 06:49 PM
    Since I see my name being used in #11, I'll respond. I would stay out of it otherwise, since I don't use themes, and have deleted all but the BBdimension Zen from my device. However, until I deleted them, they were in device memory. I'd be surprised if it's possible to run a theme from a memory card. No doubt they can be stored there.

Mass storage mode can only see the media card, it can't see the device memory. Using the App Loader will properly install the themes in device memory.

Again, I'm not trying to intrude on a discussion about a capability that I don't use, but since mistyinca rubbed my lamp, I had no choice but to appear.
    I was hoping you would jump in - I was having a hard time getting my point across.
    08-04-08 06:58 PM
    REally? I did put the other theme I downloaded yesterday on the media card, and it works. It had a very different set of files, and one was a .jad file that gave me a download option when I clicked it.
    Should I move that whole set of files in that folder to the device memory?
    I think this is why it SEEMED to work. It was the .jad file ant then it was installed(probably to device memory) As for using explorer to install stuff, it works because you are installing MEDIA, pics, music, etc. At least this is what I can gather from what I've read.
    08-04-08 09:07 PM
    Mass storage mode can only see the media card, it can't see the device memory.
    OK, that is what is happening to me. I only get the media card as a choice.

Thanks for appearing
    08-04-08 11:09 PM
    I think this is why it SEEMED to work. It was the .jad file ant then it was installed(probably to device memory) As for using explorer to install stuff, it works because you are installing MEDIA, pics, music, etc. At least this is what I can gather from what I've read.
    Thanks

If the .jad file prompted it to install to the device memory, where is it? I have two main folders in the device memory: home, and samples.
    In home, I have:
    user>music, pictures, ringtones, videos, voicenotes.

In samples, I have: contacts, folder icons, mms, music, pictures, ringtones, and videos.

But I can't find any theme files anywhere in there.

Over on the media card, here is where I dropped the theme files for the one that is working:
    Attachment 3343

And here are some pics I just now took of my BB with that theme active (to show I'm not lying ).
    Attachment 3345
    Attachment 3346

Again, thanks all for the information. I know this thread is digressing, but it is helping me to understand what's going on (and confusing me a bit more too! )

If, indeed, I must put the theme files on the device memory, I have no idea where to put it, since I can't find the blossomberry theme files anywhere but on the media card.
    08-04-08 11:35 PM
    Bumping up. I still can't get this to work.
    08-05-08 07:05 AM
    First, remove all the theme files from your media card, there is no reason for them to be there. They need to be stored somewhere on your computer.

Now, connect your BB to your computer via the USB cable.

Open BB Desktop Manager, and locate the Application Loader.

After the App Loader does a software check you will have a list of software on the left and some buttons on the right.

Depending on which version of DM you have installed, you need to click on a button that either says "ADD" or "BROWSE".

Navigate the window to the location where you stored the theme files, and select the one that ends with .alx.

Back in the App Loader, click Next and follow the directions. This will install your theme to device memory, and you can now go to Options>Themes and select it.

Note: This is how you load ALL third party software.
    08-05-08 08:05 AM
    First, remove all the theme files from your media card, there is no reason for them to be there. They need to be stored somewhere on your computer.
    OK, I did that last nite.

Depending on which version of DM you have installed, you need to click on a button that either says "ADD" or "BROWSE".

Navigate the window to the location where you stored the theme files, and select the one that ends with .alx.

Back in the App Loader, click Next and follow the directions. This will install your theme to device memory, and you can now go to Options>Themes and select it.

Note: This is how you load ALL third party software.
    Thanks, but I just did that, and I tried it with three different .alx files, and I get the error: no additional applications designed for your device were found.

08-05-08 08:09 AM
    THanks everyone.

I just found another site with the same themes in OTA. Looks like my bb just won't work with application loader.
    whatever
    08-05-08 09:03 AM
    08-05-08 09:45 AM
    Thank you!!!!! I think this might finally do the trick! I'm d/l-ing the software from Verizon right now! (You'd think they'd provide this with the software they shipped with the phone!)
    08-05-08 10:08 AM
    so what is the process with a .jad theme? Never installed a theme before.
    08-16-08 05:38 PM
    This tutorial will help you with any theme installation question, including OTA (.jad files) and Desktop Manager installs (.alx files)

BlackBerry 101: The Basics of BlackBerry Themes | CrackBerry.com
    08-16-08 05:44 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD