sometimes you have to wonder about his mental health...

Attachment 578
    09-28-07 11:56 AM
    not a bad idea! although i would never put my bb through that kind of abuse.
    09-28-07 01:24 PM
    How cool....Hope it doesnt ever ring...I am sure a little spark would go down well!
    09-28-07 02:50 PM
    Isn't that what the little clicky thing on the pump handle is for???

I would never put my BlackBerry to such abuse! (I have the same model)
    09-28-07 11:18 PM
    not a bad idea! although i would never put my bb through that kind of abuse.
    Not a bad idea??? it is actually a horrible idea, all it would take is a spark then the BB, car and heaven knows what else will be on fire I actually would qualify that as reckless endangerment
    10-06-07 12:42 AM
    i think if your blackberry is giving off SPARKS..well...it may not be working properly...so yes I would not reccomend using it to hold open the gas pump...

HOWEVER... when was the last time you saw a bb give off freakin SPARKS??

-db

you could use it to light birthday candles I guess..
    10-06-07 06:37 AM
    If it rings.... boom. Should be a nice display.
    10-07-07 11:10 AM
    If it rings.... boom. Should be a nice display.
    That's a myth. Cell phones will not ignite gasoline fumes, even while ringing.
    10-07-07 11:47 AM
    That's a myth. Cell phones will not ignite gasoline fumes, even while ringing.
    +

Phone Ignites Gas Station Fire, College Students Gets A Really Wrong Number While Filling Up - CBS News

=

Trevor p0wnage!!!!
    10-07-07 04:36 PM
    Ever watch Mythbusters? They did a whole episode on trying to ignite the fumes with no luck.
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-07-07 at 07:45 PM.
    10-07-07 06:49 PM
    Isn't that dangerous? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-07 07:05 PM
    Ever watch Mythbusters? They did a whole episode on trying to ignite the fumes with no luck.
    Dude, I watch Mythbusters all the time and there's been times when I don't agree with the way they test certain things. Take for instance the "Will a plane have a window blowout if someone shoots it out at 20k feet" episode. Sure, they presurized the cabine, but they left out an important aspect... the fact that their test plane was stationary when in real life it would be flying at very high speeds. All these "left out" variables are what bite your *** when applied in real life.
    10-08-07 12:03 PM
    Dude, I watch Mythbusters all the time and there's been times when I don't agree with the way they test certain things. Take for instance the "Will a plane have a window blowout if someone shoots it out at 20k feet" episode. Sure, they presurized the cabine, but they left out an important aspect... the fact that their test plane was stationary when in real life it would be flying at very high speeds. All these "left out" variables are what bite your *** when applied in real life.
    I agree, but with the particular cell phone experiment they did a pretty good job and it didn't work. Was there anything you would have done differently if you were them?
    10-08-07 12:15 PM
    ^^^ You know what's even freakier? The "redo" of cell phone episode is on right now on Discovery. Welcome to the Twilight Zone! :lol: Anyway, I don't know what I would have done different, but I know different cell phones do some pretty freaky stuff. Take for instance some of the Nextel PTT phones that give off some funky signals that mess with monitors and speakers all the time.

I will say this, from everything I'm seeing (again) in the show the amount of gas they are using is very small. We all know there's "a lot" of gas vapor that is given off when you pump, I'd say that's a lot more then what they had in their tests. Also, to me the test isn't really "truely realistic" unless they tested ALL cell phones in existance UNDER the same exact environment as the gas station, which obviously is probably not going to happen.

I guess in the end it boils down to really being a "luck of the draw" type thing. I'm sure we can both agree that there are such things as "feaky accidents". When it's your time, it's your time.... hence the News story.
    10-08-07 04:43 PM
    Yep, they even stripped the phone to component level and tried scraping it to make sparks, they surmised in the end that the gas vapor has to be at a specific density before even a naked flame will ignite it.

It turns out that density can never feasibly be reached in an open air environment, place the vapor in a closed room and yes, ignition is just about possible, but, this guy wasn't filling up in a sealed room and quite frankly, only a lunatic would
    11-04-07 12:24 AM
    just saw that link to student setting fire with phone and saw the best quote ever from a fireman:

It doesn't take much of a charge to ignite gasoline vapors, New Paltz fire chief Patrick Koch told WCBS-AM's Peter Haskell. "Anything, really. Women's nylon stockings when they get out of a vehicle, that can cause a spark, too."
    So now we have a real reason to ban women from the road!!

If they cant fill their cars, they cant drive!
    They cant drive, they cant cause accidents

I love being controversial lol

(Just kidding ladies)
    Last edited by chamisra; 11-04-07 at 12:37 AM.
    11-04-07 12:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD