View Poll Results: Would you pay for a custom theme?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it it were less than $5

7 19.44%
  • No, this forum is for free themes only

12 33.33%
  • Maybe, just depends on the theme

17 47.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
07-29-08 08:38 PM
26 12
tools
    Ok guys and gals, I would like to take a quick poll regarding Free themes vs. Cheap themes (<$5). My question is simple, do you think it's worth it to pay less than $5 for a nice theme with custom icons if the theme maker will customize the theme with your choice of fonts, background images, etc.?
    07-28-08 11:04 AM
    I personally do not buy themes, no matter how cheap! I know that seems unsupporting and somewhat rude, because I absolutley love a lot of premium themes I see!!

I think it takes a lot of talent, hard work, skill and artistic ability to make a nice theme! I am picky about my themes... but I still do not like paying for the 'premium' ones...
    07-28-08 11:07 AM
    Thanks for acknowledging the time and effort that it takes to make a nice theme. My quandry is I love making these themes and my daughter has helped me on several aspects of them. What I want to do is give her an outlet for her creative side and at the same time make her a little spending money on the side. What do you think is a reasonable price to pay for a custom theme?
    07-28-08 11:15 AM
    I will never buy a theme.
    There hasn't been one theme that I've seen that I could not replicate close to what the originator created.
    Yes, it takes a LONG time but it can be done...thereby eliminating the need to spend money on someone elses work.

Dm
    07-28-08 11:16 AM
    $4.99 for a custom theme is good. As long as it's not just a regular theme with different colors and a different background.

Has to be a really good theme though.
    07-28-08 11:17 AM
    I like to get thing free when I can but if I do see something I really like I don't mind forking over for someone's hard work and time. I just go without a latte to make up for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 11:19 AM
    I don't use themes either. I just find that the L theme works perfect for me and all the other themes I've tried don't have the ability for me to rearrange what icons are on my home page. That option is key for me. Also, sometimes I like the colors and graphics but not the fonts, etc. I suppose if someone would custom design one specifically to my specs I might try it, but I'm not sure.....

But I agree that it does take a lot of time and effort to put the themes together and agree that the designers should definitely be compensated.
    07-28-08 11:19 AM
    Thanks for acknowledging the time and effort that it takes to make a nice theme. My quandry is I love making these themes and my daughter has helped me on several aspects of them. What I want to do is give her an outlet for her creative side and at the same time make her a little spending money on the side. What do you think is a reasonable price to pay for a custom theme?
    I think it is reasonable to pay around $5 - $6... you can price accoridingly and competitively with the other 'premium' themes!

Many theme builders charge a little more for custom work... since it is by request. I would do what you think it best, and market however you like!

And by no means is CrackBerry only for free themes... your poll is somewhat misleading!! CB accomodates premium and free themes, which is great!

Once you have some themes out, post them within threads (screenshots) so people can see. Note the price and a link where you can purchase, or DL for free if you choose that route!!

You can also build a mis of free and pay themes... the free being simpler, but samples of your work to get people to know you better! Then people would be more inclined to give you money for themes... if they have a sample of your work to base their purchase off of!
    07-28-08 11:20 AM
    I think that would be a great deal if someone would make it custom to what I personally like for my phone. Is that deal on the table or was that just a teaser.
    Ok guys and gals, I would like to take a quick poll regarding Free themes vs. Cheap themes (<$5). My question is simple, do you think it's worth it to pay less than $5 for a nice theme with custom icons if the theme maker will customize the theme with your choice of fonts, background images, etc.?
    07-28-08 11:43 AM
    I think that would be a great deal if someone would make it custom to what I personally like for my phone. Is that deal on the table or was that just a teaser.
    07-28-08 11:58 AM
    No it's not a teaser. I will customize any of my current themes for you (ie, font, background, app icons, etc.) for the base price of $3.99. Buy the theme, send me an email with the changes and bam...done. Of course it may take a little back and forth to get it perfect and that's ok as well.

Dan

P.S. That includes taking a picture (family, dog, etc.) you send me and formatting it as the background.

07-28-08 12:50 PM
    If i am able to work with the theme builder and am able to customize font, backround, icons, etc. then it's worth 5-7 bucks. I have 2 themes completely customized by Corey Visto and they look and work great...
    07-28-08 12:55 PM
    Where do you post your themes I have been searching for them since yesterday to see which ones you have.

07-29-08 01:32 PM
    Where do you post your themes I have been searching for them since yesterday to see which ones you have. You can pin me also 31A6D998
    No it's not a teaser. I will customize any of my current themes for you (ie, font, background, app icons, etc.) for the base price of $3.99. Buy the theme, send me an email with the changes and bam...done. Of course it may take a little back and forth to get it perfect and that's ok as well.

Dan

P.S. That includes taking a picture (family, dog, etc.) you send me and formatting it as the background.
    Last edited by branbenji; 07-29-08 at 01:38 PM.
    07-29-08 01:34 PM
    I didn't vote yet - I recently had a custom theme made for me, and I love it. It was $7. I gave her $10 because it was something that just wasn't out there, and she took the time and talent to make it for me. I have a lot of respect for theme builders, and am willing to pay for any custom ones.
    07-29-08 01:37 PM
    i agree with you chaz, if the theme is precisely what i needed or was made custom for me to my liking, i would have no problem paying for it. That being said, for any other theme out there made for a universal theme, i wouldnt pay for it, use it, and then find out its not what ive been looking for.
    07-29-08 01:41 PM
    That is the exact reason I want some theme builders info so I can see their work and get started on getting the themes I want made for me.

07-29-08 01:47 PM
    I would not mind seeing Nancy Drew(the queen of themes), and AntiAndy(the king of wallpapers) put together the ultimate theme for the crackberry family... Check out some of their work, the thread is called"share your favorite wallpapers"...
    07-29-08 02:36 PM
    Thanks I will head over there now. I am kinda new so I don't know where to look and search helps only so much.

07-29-08 02:45 PM
    You can find my themes at http://www.blacksberrry.com

Yes I know it's a play on words, but it's easy to remember.

You are in luck too, apparently some of the icons I used I assumed were free and it turns out they are for non-commercial use only (until I get permission from the creator) and so the Bamboo theme will be free until further notice.
    07-29-08 03:57 PM
    I think the problem lies with the BB development community as a whole. There is hard work that goes into creation of any software (themes included), but its those who allow the free aspect that really make the community blossom. I still find it hilarious how bb app and theme developers can charge rates that would never fly in another community. Flipside, 20bucks....would anyone pay that for a pc mp3 app? Nope. 7.99 for IBerry Theme....8 bucks for a theme...really? Games should not be 10 bucks, as we can buy psp games for 20, and their dev cycles are much longer. I support the community, but guys we gotta share the love!
    07-29-08 07:14 PM
    How can I get the free one for my I will download one for me as I go through them. I just don't see the download for the free one she likes.
    You can find my themes at http://www.blacksberrry.com

Yes I know it's a play on words, but it's easy to remember.

You are in luck too, apparently some of the icons I used I assumed were free and it turns out they are for non-commercial use only (until I get permission from the creator) and so the Bamboo theme will be free until further notice.
    07-29-08 07:21 PM
    Not sure which theme you wanted since you said it's not on my site. Can you describe it? Are you sure it's one of mine?
    07-29-08 07:46 PM
    Nevermind I figured it out and yoru page is going to be saved as a favorite on my phone. I just can't do the military theme I just got out of the Army and want nothing military for a long time. I also that the theme is for the curve wow I should have read a little better. sorry to bother but do you have it for the pearl.
    Last edited by branbenji; 07-29-08 at 08:04 PM.
    07-29-08 07:53 PM
    Sorry but which theme did you want formatted for the Pearl?
    07-29-08 08:36 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD