Hello All,

I'm not all that new to BlackBerry, but I'm certainly new to the idea of designing my own themes. I'm not going to waste anyone's time with an extensive list of newbie questions, but I do have one general one.

Is it difficult? I'm downloading the ThemeDesigner from Plazmic now, and before I get started I wanted to have an idea what I'm getting myself into. When I looked through here I saw a lot of request for custom themes, and I wanted to know if this is because it is ridiculously difficult to do or if people are just lazy and don't want to do it themselves. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
    08-20-08 05:21 PM
    i myself have wondered how difficult this would be i downloaded the theme designer by plazmic but when i went to install it after i downloaded the email simulator it continued to say that i didnt have one when i tried to continue installation so lets see if anyone has an answer for that as well
    08-20-08 05:49 PM
    Hello All,

I'm not all that new to BlackBerry, but I'm certainly new to the idea of designing my own themes. I'm not going to waste anyone's time with an extensive list of newbie questions, but I do have one general one.

Is it difficult? I'm downloading the ThemeDesigner from Plazmic now, and before I get started I wanted to have an idea what I'm getting myself into. When I looked through here I saw a lot of request for custom themes, and I wanted to know if this is because it is ridiculously difficult to do or if people are just lazy and don't want to do it themselves. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

It is not that people are lazy, well not all people it is kind of difficult, labor and time intensive if you really care about how it looks. The most difficult part for me was downloading all the files needed, I started with the version before this one and getting all the files and installing them at the right time and in sequence was like pulling teeth. With this version downloading is much easier and it is still kind of difficult to do when you do your first theme unless you are a genuis. Good luck and enjoy theme making, share when you do you first one, so we can see how good and what a nice job you did. Once again, Good Luck!
    08-20-08 05:51 PM
    Thanks bpbrown, I appreciate the advice. I'm hoping I'll be able to modify my existing L Screen with a new banner, sharper colors, and cooler icons. Are you an avid theme designer yourself?
    08-20-08 06:18 PM
    I have just started doing this. The difficulty is not the theme part in my opinion. I am new at Photoshop as well so that is where it is time consuming.

If you just want to move where the battery is, or change the font, etc then the program is really easy to use.

If you want to create your icons, notifications, meters from scratch - or even use what's in there as a template - it takes time.

If you are a Photoshop (or GIMP) wizard then I think you will do fine.
    08-20-08 08:21 PM
    I will also say that designing themes is pretty easy, detailing icons, sizing screens, menu bars, bit tougher, but doable. Photoshop is a real pain, but useful, same with composer. I am trying to figure out the whole meter thing so I can make some custom ones for my car themes, that really has me frustrated as of late. The version of Plazmic they release for our use is also horribly limited for some reason. I mean, you can make an insane looking header, custom everything, then go into your email, there are all the blasted stock dimension icons and stuff! We also are stuck to an icon size, no resizing is possible. So, I've in at your own risk. If you get frustrated, walk away for a bit. Enjoy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 08:31 PM
    I was looking into how to take screenshots of my BlackBerry pages... looks like a mighty complicated undertaking. The theme design seems easy by comparison.
    08-20-08 09:49 PM
    The hardest part is just getting the stupid program installed.
    08-20-08 09:53 PM
    Thanks bpbrown, I appreciate the advice. I'm hoping I'll be able to modify my existing L Screen with a new banner, sharper colors, and cooler icons. Are you an avid theme designer yourself?
    I have one for everyday of the week and twice on Sundays, running out of ideas and icons, that is the only set back, once you use a set twice it's gets old hat, the icons I mean. I love designing themes when I am doing that all the other things that are in my mind weighing me down is forgotten, sort of therapuetic. Enjoy it.

I will make one today and load on the berry, make another in a day or two, delete some and add others. My screen is always changing. Before I started designed I spent quite a bit of money buying them. A theme has to be very special for me to ever pay money for them again. I brought the same theme three times because I switched deviced twice fell in love with that one, of course the only thing in purchasing themes one is unable to transport to another device. Theme building can be a hobby and a money saver if you like changing the look of your Blackberry as much as I do. Do not become as addicted as I am. The theme at the bottom this post I designed it less than an hour ago. I have used the bold icons in three themes so far, becoming bored with them already.

Attachment 3810

Attachment 3811
    Last edited by bpbrown; 06-13-09 at 01:10 AM.
    08-20-08 10:19 PM
    Unfortunately, you will not be able to modify an existing theme, unless you have the .thm file.

The program takes time and patience...if you have that..it should not be a problem.

Not only that..but a good knowledge of graphics (how to manipulate and create).

And..remember..its supposed to be FUN.

Steve
    08-20-08 11:06 PM
    Unfortunately, you will not be able to modify an existing theme, unless you have the .thm file.

The program takes time and patience...if you have that..it should not be a problem.

Not only that..but a good knowledge of graphics (how to manipulate and create).

And..remember..its supposed to be FUN.

Steve
    I was thinking there would be a standard template for Today, Zen, Theme, and Icon views... was I wrong?
    08-20-08 11:15 PM
    I was thinking there would be a standard template for Today, Zen, Theme, and Icon views... was I wrong?
    The only templates included with the new Theme Builder are Icon, Today, Zen and 'Custom'. It is with the latter wherein you will make your 'L' theme--you have to manually reposition icons into an 'L' shape. The one major limitation with the custom theme template is that it automatically locks in the homescreen icons. In other words, it does not take on the traditional characteristic of the Dimension L theme that allows the user to customize the icons in the 'L' screen. This flaw in the custom template is the reason why you see an influx of special theme requests in regards to many of the new themes being posted--everyone's icon preferences differ.

I've contacted Plazmic/RIM with regards to the lack of 'L' template in the new Theme Builder and was given a really half-a$$ reply...typical.

All that aside, I'm sure that you will enjoy making themes, and as many will tell you, it can become quite addictive once you get the hang of it.
    08-21-08 12:09 AM
    I believe that theme designer/ developer isn't diffcult for everyone from beginners to experts. However some people feel limit to customize theme, because they don't have their own photoshop CS nor other specify softwares.

If you are graphic developer or feel more passionate with graphic designer like nancydrew & cherrichiodo. And have their own a photoshop/ other software. You will feel more easily customize plazmic theme and photoshop software without limits .
    Last edited by FARBES; 08-21-08 at 03:34 AM.
    08-21-08 03:31 AM
    This is sort of a shout out for newbie help, but would anyone happen to have a Firefox logo resized for the 8330 Curve screen resolution?

I do have ifranview for my image work, I hope it'll do the job.
    08-21-08 10:16 PM
    i am just starting to design themes and i have figured out most of how to do a custom theme like the "L" theme but i do have a sew questions and i was hoping some of you can answer them.

i figured out how to move the home icons where i want but the name of the application stays to the right of the application. doesn't help for the bottom row because the app name would be over the other apps...how do you get it to show in the middle of the screen.

2. i would like my private e-mail icon o the home screen...not the general message icon. i have the sms & mms folder and crackberry messanger folder separate.

5. how do you have an icon underliner such as the old "surreal" theme or the new leopard theme(which i love....wish i could get th .thm file for that

R
    email = kashmir0069@netzero.net
    PIN = 2426461A

damn i talk a lot
    Last edited by kashmir0069; 08-22-08 at 05:41 PM. Reason: misspelled email
    08-22-08 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD