Fellow theme makers, I have a question that needs to be answered for my own peace of mind and maybe those of other wannabe theme developers.

When someone makes a theme and uses copyrighted material (family guy, disney, comic heros, movies, etc.) and it is for non-commericial use, does this violate the copyright and open them up to a lawsuit or is it considered "fair use"?

I see a TON of other themes with obvious copyrighted images and would just like to know if this has been addressed.

Don't get me wrong, my personal feeling is that if it's non-commericial and done in good taste, then it's more of a tribute than a violation.

Looking for your thoughts on this...........
    Last edited by daniel.black; 08-07-08 at 01:34 PM.
    08-07-08 01:21 PM
    You do have to be careful because some images are protected by the Creative Commons Copyright. It states that you are free to share and distribute the art, but no derivative works are allowed to be created with it. It states that you may not alter, transform, or build upon the work or use it for commercial purposes.

Just make sure it doesn't have the Creative Commons Copyright on the images (or ask the author for permission first). It's always good to use a reliable source for acquiring images that properly label any restrictions/limitations on the work.
    08-07-08 01:32 PM
    Hey NancyDrew - sorry to HiJack a thread - but just wanted to say I love your work!!

Ping me with a PM or email. Need to get some of your stuff featured on the blogs one day.
    08-07-08 01:39 PM
    The minute you use copyrighted images for commercial use is when you need to worry about legal troubles.

If the images and icons are readily available from the copyright owner for download, then the fair use doctrine is pretty much on your side.

I dont think "good taste" is a basis for legal action, just the use of the material itself for commercial use.
    08-07-08 01:44 PM
    ok does all of this mean that I will get my Mickey Theme from daniel.black ! Please tell me yes PLEASE !!!
    08-07-08 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD