It seems like a silly question but ever since I installed a new theme on my 8530 a couple of days ago my reception has gotten worse.

I'm thinking its probably just a coincidence and there is another explanation but thought I would ask the question anyway.

I'm going to switch back to the default theme to see if things improve. I hate to because I really like the os 6 theme I'm using.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-10 03:32 PM
    The only thing that themes could affect is memory. Some themes that are poorly designed cause memory leaks.

However, there is nothing in theme files that could affect the radio. Have you updated your PRL?
    09-25-10 03:36 PM
    Themes do not affect anything except for the user interface appearance. It could however be displaying the signal status incorrectly. Try this on both the default and third party themes and compare them to each other: on the homescreen, hold down the "alt" key and type "NMLL" release the "alt" key. Your signal bar should be replaced by a number. 0 is impossibly strong signal reception so it should display a negative number. I usually show -70 with very good reception.

09-25-10 03:41 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    I tried a prl update first. Then a reset via keyboard shortcut.

Maxiang: thanks for the tip on the signal meter. I'll check it out. Hoeever, I'm talking about loosing service altogether more than normal. Its cruddy on a good day but it has been worse here lately.

09-25-10 04:06 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    I tried a prl update first. Then a reset via keyboard shortcut.

Maxiang: thanks for the tip on the signal meter. I'll check it out. Hoeever, I'm talking about loosing service altogether more than normal. Its cruddy on a good day but it has been worse here lately.

That sounds like it is an issue with your carrier. I would suggest contacting them. Perhaps they are doing maintenance on a tower in your area.
    09-25-10 04:16 PM
    There may be a tower outage in you locale. lak is right, call your carrier before you do anything drastic and find out later it wasn't on you.

09-25-10 05:52 PM
    No tower issues have been reported. Perhaps I'm the first to report the problem.

Think I'll give it another day or two before digging deeper into my phone.

Thanks for all the advice.
    09-25-10 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD