Am I the only one who loves the bottom dock zen theme style, but HATES that seemingly all of developers think they know what 5 icons we, the (potential) customers, want as the docked icons?

I really don't understand it. Sure, you get to fancy up those 5 docked icons... but to me, that PALES in comparison to the benefits of allowing the users to customize those same icons.

I've been using the Verizon theme but it's not the prettiest, and doesn't play nice with my 8820, only with my Curve.

I am ready and willing to pay for a theme such as "Dock Bottom Zen" that isn't ruined by developer "creativity". Also, can someone answer this question... if the developer is going to the trouble of customizing and locking the bottom 5 icons, how much extra (or less) work would it be to compile an alternate "unlocked" version?
    04-27-08 09:07 PM
    What about the TMo zen theme? I use it on my Curve, its a bottom dock. If you remove the .cod for the TMo 5 and myfavs, it will be what you are looking for!
    04-27-08 09:25 PM
    I could be wrong, but from what i understand the software the developers use restrict them from making the bottom dock icons changeable. I highly doubt that they would lock the icons on purpose. Take the Crackberry theme for instance, it plainly says that the program limits them to be able to change the icons, the developer didnt do it. Not sure who created and what software was used to create the Verizon theme thats floating around, but thats the only one ive seen where you can change the bottom icons. Im using the Verizon theme too! I love it. Again, I think its a software issue, not a developer issue. Please correct me if im wrong. Peace!
    04-27-08 09:35 PM
    With the current tools that have been released to the general public for making themes, bottom dock is not even an option. With that said, the whole bottom dock "hack" came a while back with some insider knowledge (despite what people want to say or deny about it.) Because of this "hack" the picking of icons like you can do with carrier released bottom docks is not possible, so they do the picking for you based on what they feel could be used by the general public.

I don't like it either, but until Plazmic releases the next version of their builder and hopefully allows us to do bottom docs, it won't change anytime soon.
    04-28-08 03:31 PM
    yeah..that's why there's sometimes multiple versions of the bottom dock themes, to give more options to purchasers knowing they can't change em up. in the case of the crackberry theme - user, abuser, abuser 2. only difference are the docked icons.
    04-28-08 04:02 PM
    Ahh. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the explanation... guess I'm stuck waiting for either a better bottom dock hack or a new version entirely.

How difficult is it for a developer to change the docked icons? Say, for example, and if even possible, that I wanted to commission a custom version of the crackberry theme. Is it just a matter of the developer opening the template in their hacked version of themebuilder, changing the docked icons, and recompiling the theme, or is it more complex? That's definitely something I'd pay for.
    04-28-08 09:08 PM
    I know this won't help you having a curve but the Today Plus theme for the 8100 has 5 icons on the bottom dock that can be changed by the user...so it must be possible for other bottom dock themes.
    04-29-08 08:36 AM
    I know this won't help you having a curve but the Today Plus theme for the 8100 has 5 icons on the bottom dock that can be changed by the user...so it must be possible for other bottom dock themes.
    You missed the point. It is possible if the theme is made by RIM/Plazmic inhouse. The bottom docks this rant is about is made by outside folks with some insider skills which allowed for some creative hacking to make things work.... just not 100% as intended.
    04-29-08 12:04 PM
    I have a question about this though...

I recently got the Sprint Curve and unlocked the provider themes. I like one of the T-Mobile Zen themes.

From what I read, the bottom dock icons cannot be changed because the providers choose what icons go there.

Question is... how come on the T-Mobile theme I chose, the Sprint Music store is one of the icons chosen on for the bottom dock?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. The Home or Today screen (sorry, coming from the Windows Mobile side so don't know what to call it on this side ) takes the first 5 or so icons from the application screen to use on the Zen themes, horizontally or vertically. So re-arranging the icons on the applications screen will allow you to "choose" what shortcuts are on the Home/Today screen.

Of course this means you are stuck with those as the first 5 on the application screen as well, but I can definately live with that. You can even place folders there...
    Last edited by Pibe38; 06-23-08 at 06:31 PM.
    06-23-08 05:24 PM
    Uh, read one post above yours.
    06-25-08 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD