For theme builders, it seems that the roughest part of building a theme is finding nice and new icons! Give it a shot! Google it and let me know what you find! Not much I'm betting.

After many discussions, searches and banging our heads against the wall, we decided to create a place that has been seriously lacking in our BlackBerry community! BB Icon Store

There is now a place Theme Builders can go to purchase nice icons that they can use in their free themes or in the Themes they sell on their own site or any other for that matter!

We will also make it possible for anyone to sell high quality Icons through BBIconStore.

We, and anyone interested, will also be selling Premium Themes, Meters and Banners. I'm sure that list will grow as our Store matures and grows.
    09-21-08 07:37 AM
    Yeah, your site is great! But there are many icons/ themes offer to public for free..
    09-21-08 07:58 AM
    Your site is nice but I think the prices of your icons are a bit to
    expensive...
    09-21-08 08:25 AM
    Yeah, your site is great! But there are many icons/ themes offer to public for free..
    Where do U find good quality free ones M8?
    09-21-08 11:30 AM
    where can you get icons for free? Do you mean I can keep the same theme but just change the icon? Thanks
    09-21-08 11:32 AM
    where can you get icons for free? Do you mean I can keep the same theme but just change the icon? Thanks
    They mean that you can find free icons that can be used to create themes, using Plazmic's Theme Builder. You need the original .thm file in order to modify an existing theme; you cannot modify a theme's icons in device.

One word of caution about using free icons (and other graphics) found on the web, be sure to read the terms and conditions/copyright laws associated with the graphics, as specified by the original artist. It helps if you are getting the icons/graphics more directly from the source (e.g. the icon artist's website).

As for this BB icon store, I think it's a good idea and fairly priced. Especially given the fact that you are getting (in most cases) both normal and focus sets of icons already sized for theme building. Sizing icons correctly is one of the most difficult task when breaking into theme building.
    09-21-08 01:17 PM
    Bettedavis hit all spots on the head.

As for free icons, you got it... there are tons of them out there for sure. Many of them were never intended for BlackBerry Themes. Because of that, a lot of theme builders need to resize them to get them to work correctly and 50% of the time they just don't look right.
    The other side of that, you may get them to look good, but do you have the legal right to use them? I guess if you're making free themes, you could debate whether you have the right to use them since you're not making any money off of them. Legalities pretty much say no, you can't. I know, everyone does.
    Alot of people make college based themes and most of us already know how well that goes over with the College's legal departments! You can tell them and prove that you're not making any money from it, but they couldn't care less about that! Bottom line, they aren't making any money from it!

As for our new store, the content is 98% original. I say that because it's impossible for me to agree that some of the icons now or in the future were not designed by someone else, then majorly modified.

I will try to weed the copied icons out, but cannot guarantee 100% originality considering in the future when a designer would like to sell their wares on the store site, it's difficult for me to research all of their graphics.

As far as the icons I make, they are either 100% my design, or purchased by me (with all legal rights include) and then modified heavily. I work in a product design office for a living. Graphics and Artists are what I am surrounded by daily. My day job and my lifestyle are my resource for icons, and I have many artistic friends that at times provide me with both ideas and work that I am 100% free to use and sell.

As far as pricing goes Farbes, I agree. There are many free BB icons out there. Many are reused over and over by many theme builders which detracts from the originality of the theme's that are both free and especially Sold!

Gary.. you know I have nothing but respect for both your work and you personally! With the growing amount of builders that are now selling themes (many with either stock or recycled icons), I believe $15 for a set of unique and interesting Icons is a deal considering for profit themes go for anywhere between $4 and $8! My math says a theme builder can recover the cost of a $15 set of icons in 2 to 5 themes sold! Not bad if you ask me, and (if file protection is purchased) I offer Download File Protection in the event you lose your Icons for whatever reason. Email me and I will reset your download link and reissue it to you for up to 12 months.

Honestly, I may seriously reduce the amount of themes I do now just because the theme icon situation for us theme builders is far from horrible, but definitely not as robust as the actual theme quantity! I think I may be at the point that I may really enjoy making Icons rather than just themes! I'll do the occasional theme that I want to do, partially to display my Icons, but I'm starting to think I would prefer to cater to the Theme Builders with a resource that I think is sorely missing.

Just as many theme builders accept custom theme requests, I'll do the same with Icons from theme builders. I cannot express clearly enough the amount of time that goes into making both themes and especially icons! How many Icon sets that you find either purchased or free, can be loaded into your Plazmic Theme builder with less than 3 clicks of your stylus or mouse?! All of the Icon Packs that I create you can load almost instantly! No more hastle of loading each icon individually! Mind you, not all of the icons on our store are that way, but the ones that I build are! Again, I'm now catering to the Theme Builders more than the BB owners that enjoy our free and premium themes.
    09-21-08 02:14 PM
    That is an awesome idea. I would pay for premium icons. I have spend days upon days remaking some icons, resizing icons, blah blah, and I would love to just drop a few bucks for a COMPLETE set. Keep up the good work. I am not a big fan of the "glow" look, but if you get some of the "cute" icons, you bet I would definitely pay.
    09-23-08 09:38 AM
    That is an awesome idea. I would pay for premium icons. I have spend days upon days remaking some icons, resizing icons, blah blah, and I would love to just drop a few bucks for a COMPLETE set. Keep up the good work. I am not a big fan of the "glow" look, but if you get some of the "cute" icons, you bet I would definitely pay.
    Thanks Smahie! Define "cute"! I'll get on those as soon as I'm done with the Halloween based Icon Set that I'm trying to have done and posted on the store by Thursday morning.

In the meantime.... Through the 28th of September we're offering a 30% discount to everyone on their entire order by entering the Discount Code.....
    Grand Opening Week ........ into the code box and click the Apply Changes button to see your discount!
    09-23-08 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD