There are some really NICE 4.5 themes coming out every day, but so far EVERY one that I have tried, even the ones that I made, all have locked icons. These are the default bb apps. I really like some of the Today/Zen combos but why would anyone need apps like address book or options on their home screen? and most all of the locked icons are apps that you can access through keyboard shortcuts anyway. Is there no way to move/hide these icons and put my 3rd party apps in place? And in the order that I want them.

That is the only dealbreaker for most of these new themes.

I also find that the trackwheel scrolling in most of these new themes are odd, not the standard up/down/left/right that would make sense. Anyone else notice that? Some themes you can only roll the trackball in one direction only to access all icons. Strange.
    07-24-08 12:12 PM
    yeah i agree with the locked icons its pissing me off

the odd scrolling has to do with the placement if the icons while in the theme builder

if you don't match the order in the menu to whats on the screen it will jump all over the place when you scroll
    hope fully that made sense..
    07-24-08 12:17 PM
    The scrolling I can deal with. get used to. The locked icons I can't. I dl'd a really nice today/zen theme, had everything I wanted, only to realize that the bottom zen icons were all locked. I really hope this changes.
    07-24-08 12:22 PM
    The reason for this lies with the Plazmic theme builder. Any "custom" them has the icons locked in place. It's up to the them builder to decide which icons are on the home screen. If you like a them but want different icons there, try contacting the theme builder and ask them if they would customize it for you. Only the regular theme layouts like Zen, Today, Dimension, and L allow for you to move the icons around as you wish. Hope this helps.
    07-24-08 01:39 PM
    The reason for this lies with the Plazmic theme builder. Any "custom" them has the icons locked in place. It's up to the them builder to decide which icons are on the home screen. If you like a them but want different icons there, try contacting the theme builder and ask them if they would customize it for you. Only the regular theme layouts like Zen, Today, Dimension, and L allow for you to move the icons around as you wish. Hope this helps.
    That part I know, as I said I've even built my own cutome themes. I'm more concerned with my third party apps, there's no way to move these around after I activate any 4.5 theme. I can move them around, but even if I make let's say Viigo the very first icon, it will still not display on the home screen, the home screen is forever locked to the standard bb apps that were saved when the theme was built.
    07-24-08 01:46 PM
    That is correct, unless you make your own standard Zen theme, or L or Today. Then you can move them to the top so they show up on the home screen.
    07-24-08 01:58 PM
    That is correct, unless you make your own standard Zen theme, or L or Today. Then you can move them to the top so they show up on the home screen.
    So you're saying that you can move 3rd party apps upfront with only ZEN, TODAY or L themes, just not the TODAY PLUS or "COMBO" themes?

If that's what you're saying, that IMO defeats the whole purpose of the custom themes. There are plenty of standard zen, L or today themes around. But a lot of people want a today theme with messages and calendar previews and a row of zen icons below that they can move around and put their 3rd party apps there.
    07-24-08 02:45 PM
    So you're saying that you can move 3rd party apps upfront with only ZEN, TODAY or L themes, just not the TODAY PLUS or "COMBO" themes?

If that's what you're saying, that IMO defeats the whole purpose of the custom themes. There are plenty of standard zen, L or today themes around. But a lot of people want a today theme with messages and calendar previews and a row of zen icons below that they can move around and put their 3rd party apps there.
    You can only put 3rd party apps upfront in Zen, L-style and Today Plus themes that were released directly from RIM and/or Bplay (e.g. Today Plus theme found at mobile.blackberry.com or 'Next Gen' themes found at Bplay). These themes were apparently made with a modified version of Plazmic CDK, not available to the public, which sucks big time.

All regular Today themes are locked as is.
    07-24-08 03:05 PM
    wait...

how are you able to move icons with an L theme???

isnt the L theme a custom theme? I did not see a template for L.

The only standard themes are the Zen, today and Dimension Icon.
    07-24-08 03:26 PM
    wait...

how are you able to move icons with an L theme???

isnt the L theme a custom theme? I did not see a template for L.

The only standard themes are the Zen, today and Dimension Icon.
    I was referring to the L theme officially released by RIM, not the static one that can be made with the public release of Plazmic CDK v4.5

While looking at the resource files for the new Plazmic, one thing I did notice was that all the custom theme templates are based off of the BB Dimension Today template, opposed to the BB Dimension Zen template. Interesting...that is mostly likely the cause as to why the icons are static in custom themes.
    07-24-08 06:01 PM
    ahhhh that makes sense! thanks!
    07-24-08 06:06 PM
    If that's what you're saying, that IMO defeats the whole purpose of the custom themes.
    I've said this in several threads, but that is a limitation of Plazmic that I am very disappointed with. But it is what it is, and I'm sure at some point we'll get all the toys in the toybox to play with.
    07-24-08 06:24 PM
    I've said this in several threads, but that is a limitation of Plazmic that I am very disappointed with. But it is what it is, and I'm sure at some point we'll get all the toys in the toybox to play with.
    It's always something, sheesh. Will somebody crack this thing!
    07-24-08 08:20 PM
    lol thats funny. we can never be pleased! but hey, the ppl that use the programs are the ones that can only make it better. they should made this a beta and let ppl post reviews and comments to make it just right. but im just a graphic artist who use plazmic and make themes and stuff, what do it know!
    07-24-08 08:49 PM
    Well, like I said before, if they let us have all the toys for free, the demand for "premium" themes goes down because someone can make it for free.
    07-25-08 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD