Hi,

I want to know, if vpn is secure or not many of u knw that vpn hides ur original ip and send/rec the trafic via lease line. but how much is the lease line secure? is it encrypted? is it secure for banking and other transactions , login etc etc.. need ur opinion on this !
    04-18-19 12:23 PM
    Hi,

I want to know, if vpn is secure or not many of u knw that vpn hides ur original ip and send/rec the trafic via lease line. but how much is the lease line secure? is it encrypted? is it secure for banking and other transactions , login etc etc.. need ur opinion on this !
    That's the point of a high quality paid service. It encrypts all communication from and to your device to the VPN Service's servers. It then goes out from there , stripped of all identifying info.
    04-18-19 12:36 PM
    With a VPN, the user is just kicking the can down the road. Rather than your ISP or your hotel or the public wifi hotspot seeing all the sites you visit, you are now giving that information to the VPN provider.

That is why it is important to find a service that claims to keep no logs, allows for anonymous payment options, and requires as little signup info as possible.

If want to go a step beyond VPN, then try Tor. The first benefit is that it's free. The second is that it keeps you anonymous so that not even the servers handling your requests know what your are browsing.

On android, use Orbot to provide a system level Tor connection for everything, and the Tor Browser if you only want to conceal your internet habits.

The benefit of a VPN is the ability to choose a server in another country. While you can do this with Orbot, it still hops servers and may not stay in that country for long. It's best to just leave it set to Global.
    04-18-19 06:01 PM
    I've been using tor for a while. I decided to let my subscription to TorGuard expire after using it for a couple years. They are good but why pay for something when you can get it for free?

With Orbot you can add any app that uses your data. You also have the ability surf the DW through Orfox. Really nice.
    04-18-19 07:56 PM
    I've been using tor for a while. I decided to let my subscription to TorGuard expire after using it for a couple years. They are good but why pay for something when you can get it for free?

With Orbot you can add any app that uses your data. You also have the ability surf the DW through Orfox. Really nice.
    Torguard has nothing to do with Tor or the Tor project, just to clarify. Torguard is VPN only and doesn't use the Tor network.

"Answer: No, The reference to "tor" in TorGuard relates to "torrents" and guarding one’s privacy when using bitorrent. We are not related in any way to the “tor” project however the company does support through donations. "
    04-18-19 08:34 PM
    I guess it is secure, but it doesn't work properly, my main problem When I chose Canada it shows I'm in Germany
    04-25-19 09:45 AM
    VPN?
    I use ProtonVPN and can select whatever country I want.
    05-25-19 11:33 AM
    Hi,

VPNs are not exclusively used for illegal purposes, there are several legal reasons to use them and owning one in itself is not suspicious. As for a safe VPN, you'll need to do your own research and trust no one, not even members of this sub. The industry can unfortunately be shady, and once you get into this it will be very surprising how many shills there are anywhere regarding VPNs. thatoneprivacysite.net is a reliable and trustworthy guideline, but it is not a one stop shop. I do not want to discourage you with this information, because VPNs are a necessity in today's world if you care about your privacy and have any expectation of it.
    11-22-19 01:39 AM
    While you may be confident in your home or work network security, there is no way to use public Wi-Fi safely without a VPN. But setting up a VPN comes with a very important trust issue — that no one is able to find out what websites you're accessing. ... However, not all VPNs are as secure as you might think.
    12-24-19 02:22 AM
    I'll answer on the technical side of the topic: Tor is not 100% safe as who controls nodes control traffics (if he/she wants to).
    VPN's are not 100% safe as there still are metadatas, and it has been demonstrated scientifically how it is still possibile to understand with a precision close to 92% which content has been views. Plus, if a VPN is free of charge or set in countries where law enforcement is strong, they will always cooperate and provide logs. What you have to choose is if you trust more your ISP or the VPN provider (althought most of the time the answer here is "the VPN provider", in order to choose one of them, read about the NordVPN breach).

On a practical side, both scenarios are still a matter of highly specialized experts and not the job for a daily computer lover. Plus, the effort required to dig into that kind of encryption layers must have a real strong purpose behind, not something is done for mere curiosity purpose. Not all the government offices in all countries have the capabilities, skills or money to always hunt them, but of course their (and some other obscure forces called blackhats hackers) dedication to the cause depends from the reason why.
    12-31-19 05:25 PM
    It is safe to a certain extent.
    01-07-20 06:22 AM
    Want to stay safe while using a Hotel's WiFi.... a VPN is a must.

If it's government you are trying to avoid.... VPN isn't really a guarantee of anything.
    05-05-20 09:20 AM
    Depends on what you call "safe".

It doesn't make any difference in protection against malware. Without a VPN the ISP or anyone listening to your conversation on WiFi can see what you do (if you don't use https) or who you connect to. With a VPN the VPN company can see what you do (if you don't use https or who you connect to).
    Who do you trust more: your ISP or a VPN company in China or so?
    05-05-20 10:10 PM
    It's a good point. I haven't ever thought of this when using Hotel WiFi.. Thanks for sharing
    06-19-20 04:27 AM
    dt Depends of the VPN, some of them are not trustworthy, others are
    Express VPN and NordVPN are well rated
    12-06-20 11:50 AM
    Generally if you have to pay for the VPN it should be safe. The VPN, that you don't have to pay are generally infected. These gratis VPN are tracking what you are doing.
    AmyLances likes this.
    12-07-20 09:00 AM