So says Bla1ze on Twitter:

"@Bla1ze: RIM internally testing PB OS 2.0.1.166"
    03-01-12 05:42 PM
    Not unusual. I'm sure they're testing all kinds of internal builds at any one time. What is important is what features are in those builds?
    Scrizz and bquinney like this.
    03-01-12 05:47 PM
    Glad to know
    03-01-12 05:51 PM
    Want a beta!!!!!
    03-01-12 05:54 PM
    Not unusual. I'm sure they're testing all kinds of internal builds at any one time. What is important is what features are in those builds?
    Yep exactly... Now that 2.0 has been out for a little while, I'm sure they are collecting bugs to fix.
    03-01-12 05:55 PM
    Always looking forward to the next level.
    Here's to the next step, cheers.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    03-01-12 06:08 PM
    The main point is that it is 2.1.xxxx, not 2.0.xxxx which denotes a major update ... edited : Where are my f**** glasses, go to bed grandpa, etc. Sry.
    Still:

Great news (let me burn a candle for DLNA )
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-03-12 at 04:02 AM.
    03-01-12 06:26 PM
    Is there a section on the RIM site where I can read about this? Would love to see what's included
    03-01-12 06:45 PM
    The main point is that it is 2.1.xxxx, not 2.0.xxxx which denotes a major update ...
    Great news (let me burn a candle for DLNA )
    Read again... It is 2.0.1.XXXX ... Not 2.1.X.XXXX
    RicThot likes this.
    03-01-12 06:55 PM
    As long as it fixes some of these browser and email crashes, I'll take it.
    kbz1960 and Bobcat665 like this.
    03-01-12 07:02 PM
    I wish they had playbook OS up for grabs on their beta site!
    03-01-12 07:04 PM
    Want a beta!!!!!
    I wish they had playbook OS up for grabs on their beta site!
    Why? So people will have something else to complain about just like they did with OS2 developer beta???
    03-01-12 07:18 PM
    Read again... It is 2.0.1.XXXX ... Not 2.1.X.XXXX
    Although to be fair there never was never a. 1.1... They ended at 1.0.8.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    03-01-12 07:19 PM
    I hope it will support USB OTG. Dreaming?
    03-02-12 08:32 AM
    I hope they finally release it with a decent pdf reader... Been using a converted Repligo apk but it lags when compared to Adobe (as I was expecting from any emulated Android app... but at least I got some much wanted features such as search and bookmark).

If Adobe won't deliver then RIM should do it by themselves. I mean they bough Dataviz and Documents to Go has a much more feature complete pdf reader... Speaking of which I also hope that Documents to Go is brought on par with the iOS and Android version (delivering a better product to the competition is just plain moronic).

Now that I got my the usual rant out of my system (though I could seriously use both of the above) I really hope they improve boot time, Android Player compatibility and performance (and troubleshooting because when it hangs it requires a reboot), improve the predictive texting behavior, improve webpage compatibility and enhance bookmark management...

Being a beta having only one of these would already be awesome (but most likely the internal beta just has the fluff features showcased at CES).
    Last edited by joaosousa; 03-03-12 at 01:31 PM.
    wightlord22 and BerryClever like this.
    03-02-12 09:08 AM
    They had already scheduled several maintenance updates even before 2.0.0 came out, spaced nominally (I believe) one month apart.

As with 2.0.0, they really don't know exactly what's going to be in there until close to the last minute. There are critical bug fixes obviously, and always a chance that some relatively minor new feature makes it in as it may have been intended for 2.0.0 but then left out close to the end when someone decided it wasn't quite stable enough to release yet. There may even be a major feature, but that's almost incidental at this point.

I know of at least one issue which was called "gating" for 2.0.0 (i.e. was supposed to prevent 2.0.0 from being released if it wasn't fixed), but which ended up being left out. It's all about judgement calls and someone chose to bump that when problems or lack of resources led to it not being done when they wanted 2.0.0 to ship.

If nothing else, all this means that attempts to predict what will happen, or to explain what has happened, are doomed almost entirely to failure. There's no big master plan with much of this, at least when you get down to details. They put what they can into a release, and there's always the chance of close-to-last-minute changes.

This is why they met their target schedule for 2.0.0... it was "ready enough" to go, so it went. There's a date on a schedule for 2.0.1 as well (and 2.0.2), and it will probably go out close to "on time" as well, but what nobody really knows is the full set of features that will be in it.
    03-02-12 10:17 AM
    Good comments Peter9477.

I would hope that the next update would address known bugs as you describe, more so than introduce any new features. It's only been a couple weeks & everyone is already hungry for more though
    RicThot, peter9477 and jafobabe like this.
    03-02-12 10:34 AM
    I'm no expert, but wouldn't build 166 indicate a VERY early version? It took them 7000 builds to get a release version of 2.0 (and I think even the first beta was a 4 digit build number).

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but this isn't news that has me bashing the "Check for Updates" button just yet - I'd hope for monthly updates, but wouldn't expect every one of those to actually show any obvious improvements; some would be "background" optimisations.
    03-02-12 12:09 PM
    Hey I'll take monthly updates fersure!

I think RIM is doing a great job and if we get monthly updates for little fixes and maybe a little surprise, it sure will be better than waiting a whole year.

Thanks for your info Peter..
    03-02-12 08:31 PM
    I'm no expert, but wouldn't build 166 indicate a VERY early version? It took them 7000 builds to get a release version of 2.0 (and I think even the first beta was a 4 digit build number).

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but this isn't news that has me bashing the "Check for Updates" button just yet - I'd hope for monthly updates, but wouldn't expect every one of those to actually show any obvious improvements; some would be "background" optimisations.
    not nessecarily, for example, build 2.0.1.0000 is the same in theory as 2.0.0.9999 +1 as no more number will fit.

so ya can look at this as build 166 of 2.0.1 or build 10165 of 2.0 its really the same thing if that makes sense? think of it as a number without the decimals
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    03-02-12 08:43 PM
    Yes, I agree with BBThemes. I hope RIM will start going along the lines of BBOS, and put out leaks, in which case they can actually get feedback. And as for the people complaining about betas, well then they shouldn't be on the betas in the first place. It was a DEV preview, not a CONSUMER preview.
    03-02-12 09:28 PM
    I hope it will support USB OTG. Dreaming?
    I second this. Big feature that REALLY should be a part of any mobile device nowadays!
    03-02-12 09:54 PM
    Nice! RIM is on top of this QNX OS!!
    mfreedmn97 likes this.
    03-02-12 11:00 PM
    Egg Salad Sandwich Apps
    03-02-12 11:39 PM
    "this isn't baking cookies"

This is what I tell my clients, about whatever it is I'm doing for them that doesn't actually involve baking cookies, which is everything... So, I say it all the time.
    Last edited by buckwylder; 03-02-12 at 11:47 PM.
    BrizzadMan and spike12 like this.
    03-02-12 11:40 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD