i am due for an upgrade (well it was on jan 1, 2011) and been holding out for a new bb device. Since sprint changed their premier perks, i now must upgrade by March 31, 2011. I currently have a bb tour and was looking at either the bold or style.

My question is... is any Style owner really annoyed by the camera placement? I am constantly taking pics/vids of my 2 year old with my Tour and heard several video reviews about the camera placement and how to cannot really seen the screen while taking a pic/vid.
    02-25-11 11:58 AM
    The camera placement is unfortunate, but it really isn't that big of a deal after about a week or so, once you get used to knowing how you need to hold the phone so not to obstruct the camera.
    02-25-11 12:09 PM
    The camera placement is unfortunate, but it really isn't that big of a deal after about a week or so, once you get used to knowing how you need to hold the phone so not to obstruct the camera.
    I can agree with that. but can you clearly see what you are taking a picture of while the screen is tilted downward? Or must you bring back the "taco bell neck"?
    02-25-11 12:15 PM
    I haven't had a problem seeing the target of my shot. I find it works best to use the enter key as the shutter key rather than the trackpad.
    02-25-11 12:23 PM
    I haven't had a problem seeing the target of my shot. I find it works best to use the enter key as the shutter key rather than the trackpad.
    very good. your responses may steer me towards the style rather than the bold.
    02-25-11 12:24 PM
    very good. your responses may steer me towards the style rather than the bold.
    Uh oh, pressure!

Honestly though, after using the Tour for nearly a year and the Style for about 2 months now, the only reason I personally would choose the Bold over the Style would be if I needed international roaming.
    02-25-11 12:37 PM
    Yeah I don't need the international stuff. I do like candybar style phones, but always had flip prior to my tour. I just don't want to pay 180 for the bold when I can get the style for free at staples.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-11 01:57 PM
    Yeah I don't need the international stuff. I do like candybar style phones, but always had flip prior to my tour. I just don't want to pay 180 for the bold when I can get the style for free at staples.

I gave the Style camera a darn good workout taking pictures of the blizzard at the beginning of February. Out of the 70-odd pictures I shot, I only ended up with two or three that had part of my hand in them, and that was because of the gloves. No problem with seeing on the screen. It really is reasonably easy to get used to.
    02-25-11 02:52 PM
    I gave the Style camera a darn good workout taking pictures of the blizzard at the beginning of February. Out of the 70-odd pictures I shot, I only ended up with two or three that had part of my hand in them, and that was because of the gloves. No problem with seeing on the screen. It really is reasonably easy to get used to.
    good to know, thanks! it's gonna be a tough call....

I believe the video resolution is higher on the style than the tour, correct?
    02-25-11 02:56 PM
    i am due for an upgrade (well it was on jan 1, 2011) and been holding out for a new bb device. Since sprint changed their premier perks, i now must upgrade by March 31, 2011. I currently have a bb tour and was looking at either the bold or style.

My question is... is any Style owner really annoyed by the camera placement? I am constantly taking pics/vids of my 2 year old with my Tour and heard several video reviews about the camera placement and how to cannot really seen the screen while taking a pic/vid.
    I would definitely go with the Style if I were you! I also had a Tour previously and when it came time to upgrade, the Style was a no-brainer! I also considered the Bold, but it just didn't make any sense to me. The cheapest I found the Bold was $179 at one particular Best Buy. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money when the only difference was a trackpad, more memory and wifi. The Style on the other hand can be had from Office Max for $59 (maybe cheaper online) and its actually an upgrade compared to the Bold! Bigger screen, bigger keyboard (slightly) and better camera (takes great pictures in good lighting) as well as "N" wifi. I've had my Style for a month and a half now and I like it a lot. As for your concern about the camera... Yeah, there shouldve been a lot of people at RIM fired over the placement, (what were they thinking?!) But I have learned to compensate for this by holding the phone from the bottom (place both thumbs on the mouthpiece below the Sprint logo) and use your right pointer finger to press the convenience key to take the picture. I can see the subject on the screen while taking the picture just fine. As for video, you can do the same thing. One tip I found was image stabilization wasn't enabled by default on my phone and once I turned it on there was a big difference in video quality! (Again, in the right light) Good luck with your new phone.

02-25-11 02:59 PM
    That's for all the help. I think I will go fiddle at bestbuy tomorrow afternoon and then make a decision.

One last question... I saw a video where you cannot use the style's camera while closed, but the video was dated when it first came out. I'm wondering if there was or will be (wishfull thinking) a software update to allow for the camera to be opened while closed using the dedicated key.

02-25-11 07:10 PM
    That's for all the help. I think I will go fiddle at bestbuy tomorrow afternoon and then make a decision.

One last question... I saw a video where you cannot use the style's camera while closed, but the video was dated when it first came out. I'm wondering if there was or will be (wishfull thinking) a software update to allow for the camera to be opened while closed using the dedicated key.

The camera can't be used with the phone closed. If you close the phone, the camera app shuts down. They might be able to add this later since the external screen should be able to act as a viewfinder (it does display album art for music when closed) but I wouldn't count on it haha. As for Best Buy, I don't know of any that have live phones to play with, usually just dummy phones. You're best bet to try before you buy would be the Sprint store.

02-25-11 07:15 PM
    That's right, I forgot bestbuy has dummy phones. Sprint store it is! And thanks for confirming the camera. I have a friend of a friend who works at rim (in the thermal engineering part) and I will email him to present an update for the camera option.

02-25-11 07:23 PM
    ok, don't anyone shoot me, but I did go for the Bold. However, I am thinking I would like to try the Style for the 30 day trial... but if for SOME crazy reason I decided to get back to the Bold, would that be possible with Sprint? Just asking. Thank you!
    02-26-11 01:06 AM
    ok, don't anyone shoot me, but I did go for the Bold. However, I am thinking I would like to try the Style for the 30 day trial... but if for SOME crazy reason I decided to get back to the Bold, would that be possible with Sprint? Just asking. Thank you!
    It is def possible, but do it through bestbuy because the corp sprint stores charge a 35 dollar restocking fee. Another thing... With sprint as of now, when you activate a smart phone its 10 dollars more per month for premium data (3g or 4g). Like I stated before I am using a tour on the 69.99 plan and once I upgrade to whenever smartphone, its instantly 10 more. I activated my pre and told the sprint rep through an online chat session, that I only want to activate the for testing purposes, and then switch back to my tour. He said ok, made esn switch, then told me about the 10 dollar increase. I chatted with 5 sprint reps to try and reverse this and finally I made them look at a previous chat that stated that I was unaware of the increase and the rep failed to mention about the increase prior to switching!

Point is, make sure its worth the upgrade if you aren't paying the "premium" money yet. That's why I'm asking so many questions because if I upgrade, then don't it like, I can return it or sell it, but I will still be stuck with the extra 10 bucks for using the same phone I have been for over a year

02-26-11 06:36 AM
    If you bought it from Sprint, you only get one exchange. So if you swapped to the Style, that would be considered the final sale and you couldn't go back to the Bold.
    02-26-11 08:30 AM
    I just want to say... I LOVE MY STYLE! I hop BB doesn't give up on this device. I only wish you could turn the videos to the side to get more screen out of it.
    And a random thought... wouldnt it be sick if they had a theme that resembled the poynt app?
    02-27-11 02:25 PM
    I just want to say... I LOVE MY STYLE! I hop BB doesn't give up on this device. I only wish you could turn the videos to the side to get more screen out of it.
    And a random thought... wouldnt it be sick if they had a theme that resembled the poynt app?
    you are making the decision between the bold and the style more tough than what i excepted it to be. LOL
    02-27-11 05:21 PM
    Thanks for the help everyone! Going to Sprint tonight, run the Style through the gauntlet again. It would be nice to be the only Blackberry user in my social circle that doesn't have the Bold
    03-04-11 07:01 PM
    What drives me crazy is the people that complain that RIM hasn't released any new phones in the past year at all, or if they acknowledge the Style, it's mentioned as something like 'that hideous Style'.

Sometimes it seems like people who like a form factor other than candybar, brick, or touchscreen don't count. They don't realize or want to realize that they aren't the only ones whose opinions count. In all honesty, the clamshell form is one of the things that drew me to BlackBerry over Android. It makes me laugh that often the same people who complain that all RIM does is put out rehashes of its old phones blast them from coming out with a full-QWERTY flip-phone. Apparently different only applies to their definitions of different.

I'm immensely glad RIM came out with the Style and I have recommended it to many people.
    ferretling, you are hot. BBM? haha
    03-04-11 07:17 PM
    I have had my 9670 Style since Nov. 2010 and other than having some software issues which led to swapping my original Style for another one I am completely satisfied, WELL ALMOST--LOL--If It had better battery life then I would be 100% sold on this phone, I use my phone alot during the day, texts as well as cell and always have to recharge atleast once if not more during the day.
    03-05-11 02:10 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD