Hey folks,

I'm new to the whole smartphone thing. I'm currently rocking the Sanyo Katana II. Awesome phone, no joke

Anyway, I recently upgraded to the Sprint Everything Data plan, so I really need to upgrade my phone.

I'm leaning towards the BlackBerry Style. I played with it (and the Samsung Transform) at length up at the Sprint store the other day.
    My thoughts are this:

BlackBerry:
    Like the flip phone/size of the phone
    Love the interface
    I don't like touchscreens (this isn't one obviously)
    Concerned with button size - though I'm optimistic I'd get used to it.
    Concerned on ear speaker volume

Transform:
    concerned about size in the pocket
    Loved the ear speaker volume - it could get loud enough to hurt my ears -- which I like. I need it up loud...too much of the 90s spent next to loudspeakers at concerts
    Seemed to lag
    I've heard battery life is short
    loved slideout qwerty keyboard
    HATED the touchscreen. My fingers are long and skinny. Blood has to travel a long ways to get to them. The Sprint guy said the touchscreen is heat sensitive...so I had to keep hitting the screen over and over and over to dial numbers. My wife's Rumor Touch touchscreen is tolerable...this one was awful.

Anyway -- I'm def. leaning towards the Style. Convince me, CrackBerry geeks!
    11-29-10 11:20 AM
    Hey Coal! Welcome to the Crackberry Nation

I have had both an Android device and a Blackberry device. I went from a Blackberry Tour 9630 to a HTC Hero Android phone. I lasted about 2 months on Android and sold it. I couldn't take it's lagginess anymore. Here are my reasons for having stayed with blackberry for years....

1. Interface is easy and does everything I need a phone to do.
    2. Build quality - I have never had a blackberry phone die on me w/o user error. i.e. dropping it in the sink full of water.
    3. Battery life is great! I use my phone pretty heavily, texting, talking and web browsing and can get over a day with it.
    4. I find the call quality on the Style to be very clear and much louder than I would ever want it to be.
    5. CRACKBERRY! This a great resource for anyone who needs help with a blackberry device. It is one of the best forums I have ever seen for a product.

I just wasn't a fan of what all Android devices can do. I need a phone for texting (great keyboard on BB), browsing (the browser isn't the greatest, but most sites have mobile sites now), emails, and calls! I don't need my phone to be a level, or a fake lighter...I just need a phone to be reliable, easy to use and fast at it, and built well. So I picked Blackberry - and probably will for years to come.
    coalesce99 likes this.
    11-29-10 11:37 AM
    Sprint GUY IS A LIAR.
    The touch screen is Electric Sensitive. My dad explained it to me. but that is besides the point.

The rumor touch screen is not the same as it is resistive instead of Capacitive.

You need to tell us how you would use the phone. If you plan on using a phone as I do(as a phone) then you will probably want to get the Style.
    The Android Fanbase is growing rapidly however, and there are games on it.. I don't plan on playing games on my bold so...

Battery life is short on the Transform as most android phones have battery management issues.

Do you want a phone that is good for messaging or for playing with?
    coalesce99 likes this.
    11-29-10 11:39 AM

You need to tell us how you would use the phone. If you plan on using a phone as I do(as a phone) then you will probably want to get the Style.

Do you want a phone that is good for messaging or for playing with?
    No question, the things I'll do most is text/talk. Oh, and occasionally play backgammon. I've already checked the BlackBerry app store...Backgammon is on there!!!

But yeah, 99% texting and talking would be my guess.

Question: Do you guys usually use your fingernails or tips of your fingers (the flesh part) for texting?
    11-29-10 11:51 AM
    Do noit use fingernails please. You may scratch the keyboard.

Flesh works better anyways.

I used right under my nail. That means my thumbnails are cut every 2 days. Haha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 11:57 AM

I used right under my nail. That means my thumbnails are cut every 2 days. Haha.

You def. think go w/ the Style, though?
    11-29-10 12:09 PM

Nails don't scratch a keyboard. I have long nails and use them on every phone I have had. I have had a lot of phones too. I have a new one about every 2 months.

Anyways, to the OP, I would get the Style. I love mine. It is probably one of the best blackberries that I have ever had.
    mspacman likes this.
    11-29-10 12:12 PM
    depends on what u need your phone to do...
    iv had android and didnt like it, the battery life was too short, i hate touchscreen, and i type in languages other than english... Blackberry supports that.
    Just check out both and weigh them... there is a phone for everybody, but i highly recommend blackberry... especially the 9670... its addicting
    11-30-10 04:30 AM
    My husband has the Style and loves it. I've used it and its a really nice phone. The battery life is great on it considering he talks/texts on it a lot at work.
    11-30-10 06:54 AM
    Nails don't scratch a keyboard. I have long nails and use them on every phone I have had. I have had a lot of phones too. I have a new one about every 2 months.

Anyways, to the OP, I would get the Style. I love mine. It is probably one of the best blackberries that I have ever had.
    Get a knife and see if you can't scratch a keyboard. Tell us how it goes. And most people don't get through with a phone in 2 months so...

11-30-10 06:57 AM
    Get a knife and see if you can't scratch a keyboard. Tell us how it goes. And most people don't get through with a phone in 2 months so...

Most rational people don't go scratch up a keyboard with a knife.

Also I know that most people don't go thru a phone in 2 months. I still have a lot of my phones and none of them have scratched keyboards. I use them still too. Don't assume I don't know what I am talking about because I do. I mean I do have nails and I do use phones. Thanks though.
    11-30-10 10:47 AM
    I have long nails. I haven't damaged a phone keyboard, but I don't use it as heavily as some people do. I do damage computer keyboards though. On my phone I generally use the side of my thumbs so generally don't tap on it with my nails.
    11-30-10 02:07 PM
    Heading over to the Sprint Studio (which is just a stone-throw away from the Sprint Center) to pick up the Style. Woohoo!
    12-02-10 11:11 AM
    Congrats! I take it you mean the Sprint Center in KC?
    12-02-10 11:17 AM
    Great decision. Trust me, I work for Sprint! Just left the Samsung Moment for the Style and Ive never been happier.
    12-02-10 08:09 PM
    Congrats! I take it you mean the Sprint Center in KC?
    Yes. I see you're a KC guy too!

Okay -- wow! I really like this phone so far.

I gotta say though I'm a little lost...

Well, not so much lost as just a little bit in awe of all the stuff this phone can do. I mean, it is my first smartphone.

Okay 2 questions (that I can think of right now)

1. What is BlackBerry Messenger? Is it basically some sort of special messenger -- where I can communicate w/ other blackberry users?

2. Should I keep the Wi-Fi on? I have Wi-Fi in my house, and I connected to it. I heard my brother in law (an EVO user) say he turned his wifi off to preserve the battery. What should I do?

Thanks all. More later.
    12-02-10 10:29 PM
    Most rational people don't go scratch up a keyboard with a knife.

Also I know that most people don't go thru a phone in 2 months. I still have a lot of my phones and none of them have scratched keyboards. I use them still too. Don't assume I don't know what I am talking about because I do. I mean I do have nails and I do use phones. Thanks though.
    I mean realistically speaking, Nails would take a toll on the phone at some point right?
    Like.

Realistically.
    Logically.

:P
    12-03-10 08:02 AM
    I mean realistically speaking, Nails would take a toll on the phone at some point right?
    Like.

Realistically.
    Logically.

:P
    Realistically they don't. I've had long nails for 13 years. I have also had cell phones for 12 years. I have not once in that amount of time had my nails be a problem with that.
    12-03-10 10:50 AM
    Yes. I see you're a KC guy too!

Okay -- wow! I really like this phone so far.

I gotta say though I'm a little lost...

Well, not so much lost as just a little bit in awe of all the stuff this phone can do. I mean, it is my first smartphone.

Okay 2 questions (that I can think of right now)

1. What is BlackBerry Messenger? Is it basically some sort of special messenger -- where I can communicate w/ other blackberry users?

2. Should I keep the Wi-Fi on? I have Wi-Fi in my house, and I connected to it. I heard my brother in law (an EVO user) say he turned his wifi off to preserve the battery. What should I do?

Thanks all. More later.
    1. Yes, Blackberry Messenger is an IM client for blackberry users.

2. I would say Wi-Fi on. It definitely extends my battery life. It did on my EVO too.
    12-03-10 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD