I got my Style almost a week ago, and plan on really giving it the test drive as much as possible during the 30 day return period. I came from an Android phone after having an 8330 Curve for a long time before that, and the battery life on the Android was about to kill me. I realized I was constantly afraid to actually use the Android phone unless I was near a power outlet for a while, and on a road trip my phone died in a few hours while my wife used here 8330 non stop the whole time with barely a dent in the battery.

So I have been browsing this forum and read some really old posts from April when this phone was announced, and pics were posted that look pretty much like the final version, and people were ripping this phone to shreds about how horrible it looked and what a pos it is, and how only kids and "dumb phone" users would want it.

Now 8 months later current threads seem to trend towards the positive, with people loving it, and a lot of people jealous that they can't get it on their carrier.

So I was wondering which phones or platforms current 9670 Style users came from? How many of us have been smartphone and BB users for several years? And how do you like the Style compared to what you had before?

Or is it really just a bunch of kids and former clamshell "dumb phone" users coming to the Style?

Personally I have used smart phones for 4 years and love the Style so far. I like that I can close it and put it in my pocket, and that the battery lasts 1-2 days depending on how much I use it. I am on the fence about using it for phone calls, it feels a little "fragile" but I rarely actually make calls anyway.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-29-10 07:17 PM
    I came from a Palm Centro to a BB 8330. I've since had the 9650, 9800 & am now rocking the 9670. I've used the Evo & Epic as well as the IPhone and I can't see me ever leaving BlackBerry. All platforms have their plus sides but I just prefer BlackBerry.

Here's my review on the Style and I can say my love for it has grown since I wrote the article for CB: http://crackberry.com/sprint-blackbe...le-9670-review
    12-29-10 07:26 PM
    Came from non smartphone LG Rumor... I love my Style

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 07:28 PM
    Nice review, I remember reading it when I first started looking at the Style. You mentioned in it that early pics of the Syle were ugly, but all the ones I looked at on old threads look the same. Do you happen to have any links to these early pics? I am just curious.
    12-29-10 07:32 PM
    Nice review, I remember reading it when I first started looking at the Style. You mentioned in it that early pics of the Syle were ugly, but all the ones I looked at on old threads look the same. Do you happen to have any links to these early pics? I am just curious.
    I'm not sure where to find the older pics but they showed the Style all in black so you couldn't distinguish much of the phone. It looked like a big black clam, kind of thick and bulky (could have been the color).
    12-29-10 07:53 PM
    i came from a toshiba vm4050 -> samsung a900m -> blackberry 8330 -> 2 weeks with htc hero -> blackberry 8330m -> blackberry 9670.

8330 was just too sluggish for me after a while, plus i had an 8330m the second time around which didn't run os5, so it was a downgrade having to run bchat and the like.

9670 is the best phone i've ever owned, obviously. htc hero seems to have been the first of the 'branded' android os phones (sense ui, etc). battery life and touch typing were serious dealbreakers. that and i prefer bbm.

i do wish there was a little more detail with the messages on the outer screen. seems it'd make more sense if i tapped the button it would show me the whole thread in a bbm, instead of just the last message. also it's a little jarring to see non-html email displayed when you check email on the outer screen.

other than that i have no major issues with current functionality. in the .413 leak, there was an option to view your browser bookmarks as thumbnails, which i miss. just got the podcasts app working, but curious if it will last after a battery pull, which is something i read about here recently.
    12-29-10 07:55 PM
    Started my BlackBerry journey with the 8330, graduated to the 9630 in March. Got the Style for Christmas on a BOGO deal that Best Buy honored from Sprint Online.

The Style blows my last 2 devices away. I could do with a bigger battery, but I'm a very heavy user. The screen is sweet, nice not having to scroll onto the screen any more. Camera position could be better, but I'm getting used to it. The keyboard is quite a bit roomier than the Tour's. No complaints there. I had to dial the trackpad sensitivity down pretty well, it is verrry sensitive.

Balance suits me very well. I'm getting used to the OS 6 gfeatures quickly, and I am very pleased with this new BlackBerry. The convenience key gives a very positive click, as does the volume buttons. Call clarity and Bluetooth makes the Tour seem totally second-rate. I normally avoid first run devices, I'm glad I didn't with the Style.

12-29-10 08:22 PM
    I came from a Palm Centro to a BB 8330. I've since had the 9650, 9800 & am now rocking the 9670. I've used the Evo & Epic as well as the IPhone and I can't see me ever leaving BlackBerry. All platforms have their plus sides but I just prefer BlackBerry.

Here's my review on the Style and I can say my love for it has grown since I wrote the article for CB: http://crackberry.com/sprint-blackbe...le-9670-review
    By the way, your review on Style was one of the first I read, well done. I'm definitely enjoying mine. Glad I passed on the 9650. BOGO really sweetened the deal.

12-29-10 08:27 PM
    Just bought my style 2 days ago. So far I am very happy. I had a BB Pearl for the last 2 1/2 years and loved that phone. I miss suretype but this thing rocks. I'm still trying to learn the shortcut keys to help me along with the changes from 4.5 to 6.0.
    12-29-10 08:48 PM
    By the way, your review on Style was one of the first I read, well done. I'm definitely enjoying mine. Glad I passed on the 9650. BOGO really sweetened the deal.

Thanks for the compliment. The more I use the Style the more I love it.
    12-29-10 09:05 PM
    Thanks for the compliment. The more I use the Style the more I love it.
    I'm rapidly getting used to the differences. Ran the update to 9670/6.0.0.407 right away, OS 6 has the lovely quirk of making AutoText entries disappear after the initial switch, but I'll fix that ASAP. One thing I do love is the charge port location is back on the upper left, something I hated from the Tour. This device really sings for me.

12-29-10 09:51 PM
    I'm rapidly getting used to the differences. Ran the update to 9670/6.0.0.407 right away, OS 6 has the lovely quirk of making AutoText entries disappear after the initial switch, but I'll fix that ASAP. One thing I do love is the charge port location is back on the upper left, something I hated from the Tour. This device really sings for me.

Really? When I did my backup and then installed .407 my AutoText entries were still there...
    12-29-10 09:58 PM
    I m a torch user but I fell in love with the style so now I have both..lol

12-29-10 10:11 PM
    Really? When I did my backup and then installed .407 my AutoText entries were still there...
    It seems to happen somewhat randomly. I noticed they were gone quickly, but by the time I return home, I'll have my entries rebuilt. I needed to do some cleaning, anyway.

12-29-10 10:14 PM
    I've used in order...

8703e
    8350i

Now the Style, the best Blackberry I've ever used. .... The hardest thing for me was learning to actually talk on a flip phone again. I had forgotten just how much of your face a flip phone covered.

I need to agree with everyone about .407... its the best Blackberry OS I've ever ran. (.413 lasted about 2 days before I switched back)
    12-30-10 02:58 AM
    My first BB was the Pearl, which I loved except for the keyboard. From that, I went to the Storm, which I learned to hate with a passion. I've come to the realization that I don't do well with touch screens. I don't like to type on them, I am always cleaning the fingerprints off of them, and with the Storm, I was inadvertently muting and ending calls with my cheekbone. Ugh! Then I got the Tour, which I liked until I found myself in Trackball ****. Went through three of those because of the trackball problems. Pocket dialing was a problem for me with that phone because I always carry it around in my jeans pocket. I actually switched from Verizon (which had been my carrier ever since I got my first cell phone years ago) to Sprint to get the Style. I have absolutely NO regrets! I LOVE the Style - it's the best phone I've ever had, and OS6 is head and shoulders above OS5, in my humble opinion!
    12-30-10 05:23 AM
    I started out with some old brick in 1999, then went to a Samsung silver clamshell but I couldn't tell you what it was. Then came the RAZR, which was nice, but it wouldn't work below 25F unless it was warmed up first. Finally, after it wouldn't hold a charge, I switched over to the Samsung Instinct. It wasn't a terrible phone, and the call quality was good, but they never upgraded the firmware so that the touchscreen could go on standby while on a call. Since I use 7100+ minutes/month talking, the call screen image ended up burned into the screen. I finally ditched it after a year and a half because of that and muting and hanging up on people mid-call. (Notably, they did manage to put the standby up for calls to Customer Service only. Eyeroll.) From there I went to the Samsung Reclaim, which was ghastly, but it was all I could afford at the time. (It was free.)

I always avoided Blackberrys because the ones I could afford had keyboards that were too small, and I just hated that little nipple-nub for navigation. (Yeah, yeah, trackball, whatever; it looked and felt like a nipple to me.)

So, having tried a few form factors, I don't like the slider, I don't like the open-face one-piece, and I am so over the candybar. I loved my flip-phones and I missed my flip-phones.

And it looks like a Star Trek device. Kinda tricorder-chic. Epic win, there.
    12-30-10 08:56 AM
    I just came from the Pre and its glad to be back to a Blackberry let me tell ya!
    12-30-10 09:18 AM
    I came from many phones. But the most recent phone I came from was an droid Optimus S.
    The droid broke on me after 23 days exactly, so Sprint gave me the Style and said I would be more happy with it than with any phone they had for sale. So far, they're right. The battery doesn't last as long as I want it to, but it was free for me. So I can't complain
    12-30-10 11:32 AM
    My most recent phone previous to the Style was a Sanyo SCP-3810. lol It was just a temporary phone that I ended up using for almost a year. Glad it's gone!

12-30-10 11:55 PM
    I've had numerous devices, including a pearl 8110, curve 8520, & BOLD 9700, from my previous carrier(for years) T mobile, which I loved but they had no 3g coverage in my area so I switched to Sprint, & got the curve 8520, then the Bold 9650, to now, the best BB Ive had yet, the Style. I'd only switch if The rumors of the Torch to Sprint come true.

12-31-10 08:09 AM
    i too have had my fair share of phones although for the past year i have been without one. so today i decided to go out and pick myself up a phone. i went with the style and so far im loving it.
    01-01-11 03:26 PM
    before i got my style i had a razr v3a which is nothing compared to the style. it didnt have half of the features the style does. in the beginning i was a little confused since i never had a blackberry or a smartphone before but im learnin the ropes now and i gotta say i just love the style. its a huuuge upgrade from my old razr for sure
    01-03-11 06:40 PM
    I had the LG Lotus for 2 years. Loved that little phone; I am slowly getting used to the Style/BlackBerry "thing". Prior to that I had the LG Fusic for 2 years. That was a great phone also. For the time, anyway. I look at it now (it's a toy for the baby LOL) and it seems pretty archaic!

It's funny, I always poo-poo my husband when he starts talking about a new phone for me, tell him I don't need one, I like what I have just fine....and then I get the new one he picks out and I love it.
    Last edited by StripperGlitter; 01-04-11 at 05:02 AM.
    01-04-11 04:58 AM

It's funny, I always poo-poo my husband when he starts talking about a new phone for me, tell him I don't need one, I like what I have just fine....and then I get the new one he picks out and I love it.
    I think its cute when women think they know whats best for them...
    01-04-11 06:01 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD