After being an android user, and having a iPhone user in the house, I decided change was needed in my life. I wanted a flip phone that was awesome, and boom! Blackberry comes out with a flip phone, that isn't the pearl. I heard how awesome the battery life is from so many users, which is nice, especially considering it's a smartphone. I bought the Style a few days ago, excited. After bringing it to work with me, I became aware that this phone has extremely poor battery life, in comparison to it's brother/sister phones. I only used it for texting, bbming, and facebook here and there, so it's hard to understand why it eats so much battery. Am I the only one with this issue with this phone? I've deleted unnecessary apps, and don't even use it to make phone calls. I despised all the touch screen smart phones because of battery life, main reason why I became a BB fan. So, what gives?
    12-24-10 10:41 PM
    I have the flip and am pleased with the battery life. It comes on at 6 in the morning and like you I use it offf and on through out the day. Text, browse and email and I make it through the day. Battery is low at 11 at night but it makes it through the day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-10 10:48 PM
    I take my phone off the charger at 8am, and by the time I get home at 5pm, the battery indicator is red, and dies within five minutes. That to me is quite shocking!
    12-24-10 10:49 PM
    I've noticed that BBM seems to drain my battery the most. Also the building I work in doesn't get the best reception, so the constant searching for a signal seems to run it down also.
    The battery in the Style is a smaller battery than most of the other Berries, so I'm sure that could be a contributing factor, I wish RIM would have put a battery that was at least comparable to the one in the Bold. Other than the battery life, I really like my Style!!
    I just keep an extra charger at work, and top it off when I need too.
    12-24-10 11:06 PM
    Ah, I didn't think about the bbm and searching for signal could make a damper into the battery life, and seems to make a lot of sense now. I will also have to carry my charger with me as well, especially because I really love the Style otherwise. I don't think it's worth trading it in for something else just because of one fault.
    12-24-10 11:30 PM
    Which OS do you have it on? Upgrading your software to the latest 6.0.0.407 should improve your battery life as well

12-25-10 02:17 AM
    I take mine off the charger around 8a.m. also and it still has 80%+ left when I put it back on at 1:30 a.m. the next day. I only use it lightly but still you should have better battery life than that. Give it some time, after a few charge cycles and maybe a few battery pulls to let the OS settle, battery life should get better.
    12-25-10 04:50 AM
    I agree that the OS update improved the battery life. And after I deleted a couple of unused languages from the app database on my phone, the memory improved quite a lot. The Style is my all-time favorite phone!!
    12-25-10 09:13 AM
    Two main culprits for battery drains................

1. BBM
    2. Signal Strength
    12-25-10 09:37 AM
    I bought the Style a few days ago, excited. After bringing it to work with me, I became aware that this phone has extremely poor battery life, in comparison to it's brother/sister phones.
    Two things that may help:

First, it takes about a dozen charge/discharge cycles to 'break in' the battery.

Second, turn off the WiFi unless you need it. Otherwise, it's always searching for a wifi signal, and that can't help battery life any.
    12-25-10 12:29 PM
    The first few days I didn't put mine down, needed to top off the battery each day, now I use it all I want and the battery last all day. I text and e-mail all the time. Give it a few days and you will be fine!
    12-25-10 05:50 PM
    Turn your screen brightness down (10% is plenty) and turn auto dim on (if it's off) also make sure blue tooth and wifi are off when you're not using it.. This should help with the battery life.. It's a shame the style got such a weak battery (1150mah) especially since it has two screens..

12-26-10 03:41 AM
    Fact.. it's new and you are likely playing with it than would be normal. I couldn't put my style down for a few days even though it's my 3rd BB. I still had to play around, getting used to the new os, download apps and tweak it to fit what I want.

Here are some ideas that might help out-

Set a sleep mode- I have mine set to sleep at 11 pm and wake at 6:07

Shut off bluetooth if you aren't using it. (I have quick access set up for driving)

Dim down the screen

Instead of "Switching Applications" for every app you use, "Close" for the ones you aren't always using. The back button doesn't close apps.

Try to give it a few more days. There's a lot of threads around here with great power saving tips. I bought an android for my husband and realized that I'm BB fan true. So when he's hunting for a charger, I'm still playing. lol
    12-26-10 11:06 PM
    I fail to see how RIM makes battery choices.

They released a phone with a huge screen (Torch) and a touch screen, yet put a smaller battery than the Bold phones rather than bigger.

Same thing for the Style, they put dual screens, and a smaller capacity battery!

Bold battery capacity = 1500 mAH
    Style and Torch battery capacity = 1150 mAH

This is a big disappointment really to such great phones.

I think it is absolutely wrong to turn off all the above mentioned features and set the screen brightness to low.

In today's modern world, the least you could expect from a high end phone is to be able to use it the way it was supposed to with full features and still last a day easily.

With my Bold 9780, I have Bluetooth, WiFi, on all the time, scren brightness to the max, I text and BBM the whole day as wll as browse the net. By the Time I reach home at 11 PM I have 40 - 45% battery life left.
    12-26-10 11:42 PM
    Is there a way to turn off BBM once you set it up? I don't use it but can't see to get it to turn off.
    12-27-10 01:53 PM
    Is there a way to turn off BBM once you set it up? I don't use it but can't see to get it to turn off.
    BBM is 'always on', you'll see it in the App Switcher field any time it is installed.

12-27-10 02:02 PM
    Currently there is no option to turn off BBM.
    12-27-10 02:38 PM
    yea the battery life does suck. but if you dont play around on the phone too much and use it when you need it then the battery life isnt too bad but were talkin about a blackberry here, with all the extra features, how can you not want to use them. the first day i got mine i was messing with it from 8am to about 10 pm without it dying. ive noticed since then it doesnt last as long for some reason
    12-29-10 02:05 PM
    yea the battery life does suck. but if you dont play around on the phone too much and use it when you need it then the battery life isnt too bad but were talkin about a blackberry here, with all the extra features, how can you not want to use them. the first day i got mine i was messing with it from 8am to about 10 pm without it dying. ive noticed since then it doesnt last as long for some reason
    Hate giving wrong info so I deleted my original post
    Last edited by Kerri Neill; 12-29-10 at 04:21 PM.
    12-29-10 03:47 PM
    You need to let the battery cycle itself a couple of times. Let it go completely dead & recharge. Mine usually lasts from 7 am till 7 or 8 pm. By then I'm usually home so it's no big deal to plug it in.
    That is absolutely false. Lithium ion batteries do not have a memory. It is best to top them off. Completely draining lithium ion batteries is a quick way to make them fail faster than they normally would.

12-29-10 03:55 PM
    That is absolutely false. Lithium ion batteries do not have a memory. It is best to top them off. Completely draining lithium ion batteries is a quick way to make them fail faster than they normally would.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. That's what I was always told...just goes to show you can't believe everything you hear
    12-29-10 04:02 PM
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. That's what I was always told...just goes to show you can't believe everything you hear
    Believe it or not, some of the salespersons at AT&T, Sprint, VZW, and T-Mobile still tell customers the wrong information.

12-29-10 04:05 PM
    Believe it or not, some of the salespersons at AT&T, Sprint, VZW, and T-Mobile still tell customers the wrong information.

Oh that I know for a fact lol. Took my 9670 in to a tech and showed him my trackpad was tilted almost flush with the base on one side. He tried to tell me ALL BB trackpads are tilted. I told him where to go
    12-29-10 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD