I still live in an area that Alltel is a carrier. I have heard that sometime this month they will get the Style and Curve 3g. I like the Style but have seen some bad reviews on YouTube. I had a BB Curve 8530, and went to Android, but I really miss my BB. Any Pros or Cons would be great.
    01-05-11 08:39 PM
    I'll start out with the cons:

--Battery life is so-so. It does get better after a few charging cycles, and it is better if you're not in a so-so signal area. I'm hoping they come up with an extended battery soon, but I think if not I'll just pick up a second battery. I use massive amounts of talk time, so for me it's worth it.

--Keyboard is a bit stiff. This is, however, getting better with use.

--Camera placement could be better. To me it isn't hideous; I've had worse, but it could be better.

--Only one convenience key. I don't really use it, but if you like having more than one, it isn't there.

--Included headphones are okay. Easily replaceable, though, not a deal-breaker.

--Lack of accessories. I expect this to get better if/when more carriers pick up the Style.

--Lack of themes and apps. Not sure why there are no themes yet. The apps... well... the ones I want, I can find. I'm not huge into apps, so, that depends on your feeling on apps.

--Limited customization and limited function on front screen.

--Fingerprint Magnet.

And now the pros:

--OS6. This is my first BlackBerry, but I've used friends' phones with older OSs. OS6 is full of awesomesauce.

--Form factor. I love clamshells. No ****-dialing with the flip phone, no laggy touchscreen interface, and it feels good to hold and talk. It's my all-time favorite form factor. Win, win, win. (Oh, and a bonus, even if my ferret does manage to snag the phone, with it closed she can only do limited damage to it, and she can't call New Zealand accidentally.)

--Call/voice quality. The phone sounds great, and people I talk to say I sound great. Volume is good, and can be set to even work in noisy environment. Good handheld or with headphones. Speakerphone is also nice.

--Trackpad. I've used a touchscreen. I don't find that it takes much longer to navigate than when using a touchscreen, it is a lot more adjustable for sensitivity, and it is easy to get used to.

--Keyboard, Despite the stiffness, I think the keyboard is great. Despite the clamshell, it is full QWERTY, and the buttons are comfortably large for me (okay, I *am* a thin-fingered woman) and the sculpted feel makes it easier to feel the individual buttons. Though I have thin fingers, I also have arthritis and carpal tunnel in both hands, which makes typing difficult and also makes it harder to feel keys. The keyboard exceeds my expectations.

--Vibrant main screen. So what if it is "only" 360 x 400? It's vibrant with rich colors. Honestly, it's plenty large. And if the Youtube videos aren't the largest ever, they're crisp and clear and I haven't noticed any lag or pixellation issues.

--Outer screen. Messages and notifications show up here, can be previewed on the outer screen, and opening the phone will take you to the full message. It's very handy. And the clock has a few different settings, analog and LED. (The analog clock is really growing on me; it looks very stylish.)

--Sound quality. The included music player may not have a million bells and whistles, but it does the basics very well, and the music sounds wonderful. It also sounds pretty good just using the phone speaker instead of a headset is if it were a radio. The included podcast application is also very nice. In fact, for not being touted as a "media device", the media experience on the Style is quite pleasurable.

--Build quality. The phone is very well made, feeling solid and not cheap or flimsy. Flip hinge is solid and doesn't feel likely to break off.

--Camera. The camera is very nice, 5MP, with flash. The settings on it are nice, easy to use. Zoom is nice. Flash is bright. Videos are quite nice. Not HD, but very nice all the same. Could film Cloverfield 2 with it, maybe.

--Comes with 8GB microSD card, explandable to 32GB. Nice.

--Ergonomics. The phone is not too heavy, but not ridiculously light. It is nicely balanced while holding, whether open or closed. Keyboard and trackpad a good size, not too roomy or too cramped. Closed, the phone feels like a good skipping-rock in the hand.

--Appearance. Pictures really do NOT do this phone justice. It's a sleek, beautiful, sexy phone. Like I said elsewhere, it's kinda tricorder-chic. And that makes my little geeky heart just go pitter-pat.

--It's unique. It doesn't look like everyone else's phone. (Again, geeky little heart.)
    golfgal, TPinFl, mkoso and 2 others like this.
    01-05-11 10:31 PM
    Wow Ferretling - perfect summary. I agree with everything you've said. Great job! The trackpad rocks - so much better than a trackball. Went to BB Mobile and downloaded the OS 5 ringers so there were more choices cuz I love to customize. Can't wait for the theme builder to come out so new themes will be available. That said, I wouldn't trade my Style for anything!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 11:00 PM
    Great review, Ferretling, and right on the money. I agree wholeheartedly. The Style is an awesome phone and I am SO glad I own one!
    01-06-11 05:39 AM
    I'll start out with the cons:

--Battery life is so-so. It does get better after a few charging cycles, and it is better if you're not in a so-so signal area. I'm hoping they come up with an extended battery soon, but I think if not I'll just pick up a second battery. I use massive amounts of talk time, so for me it's worth it.

--Keyboard is a bit stiff. This is, however, getting better with use.

--Camera placement could be better. To me it isn't hideous; I've had worse, but it could be better.

--Only one convenience key. I don't really use it, but if you like having more than one, it isn't there.

--Included headphones are okay. Easily replaceable, though, not a deal-breaker.

--Lack of accessories. I expect this to get better if/when more carriers pick up the Style.

--Lack of themes and apps. Not sure why there are no themes yet. The apps... well... the ones I want, I can find. I'm not huge into apps, so, that depends on your feeling on apps.

--Limited customization and limited function on front screen.

--Fingerprint Magnet.

And now the pros:

--OS6. This is my first BlackBerry, but I've used friends' phones with older OSs. OS6 is full of awesomesauce.

--Form factor. I love clamshells. No ****-dialing with the flip phone, no laggy touchscreen interface, and it feels good to hold and talk. It's my all-time favorite form factor. Win, win, win. (Oh, and a bonus, even if my ferret does manage to snag the phone, with it closed she can only do limited damage to it, and she can't call New Zealand accidentally.)

--Call/voice quality. The phone sounds great, and people I talk to say I sound great. Volume is good, and can be set to even work in noisy environment. Good handheld or with headphones. Speakerphone is also nice.

--Trackpad. I've used a touchscreen. I don't find that it takes much longer to navigate than when using a touchscreen, it is a lot more adjustable for sensitivity, and it is easy to get used to.

--Keyboard, Despite the stiffness, I think the keyboard is great. Despite the clamshell, it is full QWERTY, and the buttons are comfortably large for me (okay, I *am* a thin-fingered woman) and the sculpted feel makes it easier to feel the individual buttons. Though I have thin fingers, I also have arthritis and carpal tunnel in both hands, which makes typing difficult and also makes it harder to feel keys. The keyboard exceeds my expectations.

--Vibrant main screen. So what if it is "only" 360 x 400? It's vibrant with rich colors. Honestly, it's plenty large. And if the Youtube videos aren't the largest ever, they're crisp and clear and I haven't noticed any lag or pixellation issues.

--Outer screen. Messages and notifications show up here, can be previewed on the outer screen, and opening the phone will take you to the full message. It's very handy. And the clock has a few different settings, analog and LED. (The analog clock is really growing on me; it looks very stylish.)

--Sound quality. The included music player may not have a million bells and whistles, but it does the basics very well, and the music sounds wonderful. It also sounds pretty good just using the phone speaker instead of a headset is if it were a radio. The included podcast application is also very nice. In fact, for not being touted as a "media device", the media experience on the Style is quite pleasurable.

--Build quality. The phone is very well made, feeling solid and not cheap or flimsy. Flip hinge is solid and doesn't feel likely to break off.

--Camera. The camera is very nice, 5MP, with flash. The settings on it are nice, easy to use. Zoom is nice. Flash is bright. Videos are quite nice. Not HD, but very nice all the same. Could film Cloverfield 2 with it, maybe.

--Comes with 8GB microSD card, explandable to 32GB. Nice.

--Ergonomics. The phone is not too heavy, but not ridiculously light. It is nicely balanced while holding, whether open or closed. Keyboard and trackpad a good size, not too roomy or too cramped. Closed, the phone feels like a good skipping-rock in the hand.

--Appearance. Pictures really do NOT do this phone justice. It's a sleek, beautiful, sexy phone. Like I said elsewhere, it's kinda tricorder-chic. And that makes my little geeky heart just go pitter-pat.

--It's unique. It doesn't look like everyone else's phone. (Again, geeky little heart.)
    +1

I couldn't have summed it up better myself
    01-06-11 06:23 AM
    I really thank you for that review, Ferretling. That actually answered the questions I had about the phone. I like the looks of the phone, just wanted to make sure it functioned as good as it looks. Can't wait to get one. Thanks again.
    01-06-11 06:41 AM
    I agree, Ferretling hit on all pro's & con's, nice review.
    I'd like to add one con, I carry the Style in my front left pant pocket and I'm forever slipping the battery cover off the back when reaching for the phone. I wish the back cover had a more secure lock to it.
    01-06-11 08:21 AM
    Yep, Ferretling you did a great job but if I may add one other con, that's the lack of controls for the media player with the phone closed. I know you can pause/play and adjust volune but they should have put a ff/rw control somewhere on the face so you don't have to open it to skip/repeat a song.
    01-06-11 02:02 PM
    Yep, Ferretling you did a great job but if I may add one other con, that's the lack of controls for the media player with the phone closed. I know you can pause/play and adjust volune but they should have put a ff/rw control somewhere on the face so you don't have to open it to skip/repeat a song.
    You can FF and RW with the phone closed. If you press and hold the volume up key, it skips forward to the next song. If you press and hold the volume down button, it rewinds back to the last song. If you press and hold the down button for a short time, it rewinds to the beginning of the song you are listening to. The only thing I can't seem to do with the phone closed is fast forward within a song itself.
    Last edited by Ferretling; 01-06-11 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the rewind-in-song.
    Kerri Neill and mkoso like this.
    01-06-11 02:41 PM
    Great summary of the phone. I just picked mine up about an hour ago. So far im extremely impressed! Feels GREAT in the hand. Camera Rocks, im coming from a Bold 9650 but I think I am going to enjoy the smaller form factor as well as a lighter device.
    Last edited by BayouBengal21; 01-06-11 at 03:32 PM.
    01-06-11 03:29 PM
    Perfect review by Ferretling. I am very happy with this phone.
    01-06-11 11:25 PM
    You can FF and RW with the phone closed. If you press and hold the volume up key, it skips forward to the next song. If you press and hold the volume down button, it rewinds back to the last song. If you press and hold the down button for a short time, it rewinds to the beginning of the song you are listening to. The only thing I can't seem to do with the phone closed is fast forward within a song itself.
    Wow, that's great. Thanks.
    01-07-11 08:09 AM
    What do you mean BB Mobile? I would love to have some of my old ringtones back!

Wow Ferretling - perfect summary. I agree with everything you've said. Great job! The trackpad rocks - so much better than a trackball. Went to BB Mobile and downloaded the OS 5 ringers so there were more choices cuz I love to customize. Can't wait for the theme builder to come out so new themes will be available. That said, I wouldn't trade my Style for anything!

01-08-11 05:57 PM
    What do you mean BB Mobile? I would love to have some of my old ringtones back!
    Go to mobile.blackberry.com on ur bb, enter ur country, and then scroll down the page. There's an option to download OS 5 ringtones to ur OS 6 bb. Enjoy!

Last edited by Chrysalis1156; 01-08-11 at 08:42 PM.
    danisnotstan likes this.
    01-08-11 08:32 PM
    This worked like a charm! I wish I could download just the 3 notifications I wanted instead of ALL of them, but I guess I cant complain! Thanks again

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on ur bb, enter ur country, and then scroll down the page. There's an option to download OS 5 ringtones to ur OS 6 bb. Enjoy!

01-09-11 01:24 AM
    I'm not a huge fan of the style commercial with the weirdo selling shoes. Other than that, I love the phone.

At least two friends of mine have upgraded their phones to the style after I got it. Before I started getting smart phones I always had a flip cell phone. I really liked flipping the phone closed or open to end and answer a call. I always missed that, as soon as I saw the style I bought it.
    01-09-11 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD