Hi, I found a blackberry style to sell here in my country and I'm thinking about buying one, mainly for music, however, I have some doubts.
    Can I use it without BIS? (There is no provider that works with CDMA here)
    For music and podcast, is it a good choice?
    thanks already for the help
    05-13-18 11:48 PM
    Hi, I found a blackberry style to sell here in my country and I'm thinking about buying one, mainly for music, however, I have some doubts.
    Can I use it without BIS? (There is no provider that works with CDMA here)
    For music and podcast, is it a good choice?
    thanks already for the help
    Without CDMA, no BIS and therefore little radio compatibility, I’d say poor choice. Other Android/IOS old devices would do better without SIM card. If you decided you wanted data, you'd have the option to enable.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-13-18 11:57 PM
    Without CDMA, no BIS and therefore little radio compatibility, I’d say poor choice. Other Android/IOS old devices would do better without SIM card. If you decided you wanted data, you'd have the option to enable.
    Thanks, and another question, can I use bbm on wifi only?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-18 11:45 AM
    You could and can with BB10. I’m not sure with BIS. Going back to my Android/IOS comment, BBM is better supported by the outside company Emtek than BBM on BB10 is with BB. Phones requiring BIS were becoming square peg / round hole devices over the last five years. That’s why they’re so inexpensive. They have such limited functionality outside the BIS environment.
    05-14-18 12:06 PM
    I bought a Style just recently this week. It is an 8 year old, worn-looking device. I have no CDMA access (I use ATT) and the wifi doesn't work at all. Nonetheless, I installed Advanced OS/LED on the Style and my two favorite e-readers, Ypubreader and Kindle. Both work fine (although the Kindle obviously will only read MOBI files I install, since I have no net access).

The Style feels good in hand, has the usual great sunlight visibility of the BBOS phones, and is a great little flip phone. I use it primarily for little notes or e-reading, and for that purpose, it is very good and will continue to remain so indefinitely, I'd imagine. The battery that was included doesn't last long, but batteries are cheap online.

I don't use the Style as a media player. For that, I have a Storm 1 which is surprisingly a very solid music / video player! The videos do have to be down-converted a little (I use HandBrake to accomplish this), but otherwise, a fun and clicky little device.

There are, of course, ancient devices, and I would not recommend either for modern-day smartphone use. However, for the hobbyist such as myself, they still remain useful and are fun to play with!
    Omniomega likes this.
    09-01-18 07:04 PM
    It’s been a year... and I’m still using my Purple Blackberry Style! What a gorgeous phone. Too bad it is only a CDMA phone. If it had been a GSM device with a 9990 style PKB, it would be my primary device. For now, it is my favorite ereader, using Kindle or ypub.
    phuoc likes this.
    10-27-19 11:14 AM
    I still have my silver style, love the clamshell.
    11-18-19 10:32 AM
    Yes, the updated Motorola Razr is probably the most intriguing folding form factor to date...but the Blackberry 9670 Style is 99% cheaper and likely handles basic PDA tasks much more efficiently. I'll stick with my Style.
    12-01-19 03:08 PM
    I've always wanted to hold a BlackBerry style in my hands. It's a very cool mix of style and function. BlackBerry has such a great history of cool devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-19 05:02 PM
    So here we are in September 2020. Sprint is no more, and yet I still use my Style 9670. It remains a solid PDA, plus I use it as a Kindle e-reader still. You can't beat the outdoors screen visibility of these old Blackberry phones.
    09-15-20 11:52 AM