I just got a new BB Style about 10 days ago. Horrible battery life. So, I went in and turned off GPS. Didn't help much. Still only get 7-8 hours from a full overnight charge.

I just went into options, Device, Application Manager and noticed that even though Nav is turned to 'deny' or 'off', that it is using anywhere from 34% to 99% of my CPU at any given time! Anyone know why?

Also, I went back in to turn GPS on and now it doesn't work at all. I am not real great with this thing and may have done something else that I didn't realize I did as far as the Nav is concerned. But, even though I don't use it every day - I use it often enough and don't want to be without it.

Suggestions anyone?
    03-25-11 09:22 PM
    Sounds like Nav is running in the background. It should show as 'not running'. Press and hold the BB button. It will show what is running. If you see the Nav icon there, select it, and exit it fully. You should get a Yes/No question asking if you want to exit Nav or something similar; I can't recall the exact wording.

Nav can eat up battery life, as can a lot of apps running in the background. If you exit them fully, it will help battery life.
    03-25-11 10:13 PM
    i went with the bold 9650 after reading about all the battery issues. if the only option to increase battery life is to disable features it really makes the phone less useful.

the design is really nice and i would have liked to save 150 dollars. had to buy a case for the bold too. the battery life is excellent compared to my touch pro 2. almost a day and a half with heavy usage.
    03-30-11 04:39 AM
    If you have your screen brightness THAT low there would definitely be difficulty seeing the screen. I have a feeling you're in bright conditions so the screen should be staying at 100%. Put your thumb over the light sensor for 10 seconds or so and it should be obvious when it adjust to your manual setting. If it is actually adjusting to the lower setting then good for you for being able to see it... I know I can't haha I'm beginning to think that this phone (or OS6) might just be really improved with power management compared to other BB's... Not only have I left GPS on, but I decided to leave Bluetooth on all day (it auto connects to my stereo when I get in my car) and again I am seeing ZERO change in battery life. The phone has been on for 14hrs and is currently at 70%.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Haha yea I had better check that! i have noticed that I when I do leave GPS on, that it does suck up quite a bit of battery use.
    I am going to check on my screen backlight though, thanks!
    03-31-11 12:36 AM
    Haha yea I had better check that! i have noticed that I when I do leave GPS on, that it does suck up quite a bit of battery use.
    I am going to check on my screen backlight though, thanks!
    When you say you have seen battery drain with GPS on did you have any sort of mapping or GPS app open in the background? Perhaps another app that uses location data? That would definitely drain the battery. I just can't explain it, but my phone doesn't seem to care that GPS and bluetooth are left on if I'm not using them. My battery doesn't seem to be draining any different than when I had those features turned off.

03-31-11 01:34 AM
    Last night I turned my gps on for the ride home from work so my wife could see where I was at and when I was close to home. I left it on that night charged it to 100% and unplugged it at 10:40 by 12:20 it was down to 86% no apps were running in the background at all. I turned it off at that time and now at 7:13 I am at 80% so Id say least for me with it on and no apps using it at all it still suck battery pretty bad.
    03-31-11 06:14 AM
    When you say you have seen battery drain with GPS on did you have any sort of mapping or GPS app open in the background? Perhaps another app that uses location data? That would definitely drain the battery. I just can't explain it, but my phone doesn't seem to care that GPS and bluetooth are left on if I'm not using them. My battery doesn't seem to be draining any different than when I had those features turned off.

Yes, I would use my Foursquare app a bit. I am using that app less anyways, so I turn the gps on when I want to check in.
    Today I noticed that my phone was getting pretty good battery, until I went to work. I had my Style in its BB pouch, and it was getting hot. No idea why. Later on, I used the Sprint Nav to find my friend's new apartment, and naturally that used alot of the battery. I noticed that my Style was still running hot for some odd reason, and the radio shut off halfway on my drive home tonight.
    *shrugs*
    Still working out the most efficient way to save on my battery.
    04-01-11 01:05 AM
    Yes, I would use my Foursquare app a bit. I am using that app less anyways, so I turn the gps on when I want to check in.
    Today I noticed that my phone was getting pretty good battery, until I went to work. I had my Style in its BB pouch, and it was getting hot. No idea why. Later on, I used the Sprint Nav to find my friend's new apartment, and naturally that used alot of the battery. I noticed that my Style was still running hot for some odd reason, and the radio shut off halfway on my drive home tonight.
    *shrugs*
    Still working out the most efficient way to save on my battery.
    I guess my battery life comparisons might not be the best since I close all apps when not in use and the only apps I have are Opera Mini and Facebook (set to update every 3hrs). If the phone is getting hot I would do a battery pull.

04-01-11 01:11 AM
    Last night I turned my gps on for the ride home from work so my wife could see where I was at and when I was close to home. I left it on that night charged it to 100% and unplugged it at 10:40 by 12:20 it was down to 86% no apps were running in the background at all. I turned it off at that time and now at 7:13 I am at 80% so Id say least for me with it on and no apps using it at all it still suck battery pretty bad.
    What is your reception like? My wife works in a poor reception area, and her battery drops to about 30% after 9hrs with virtually no use. At home, we have an Airave and she will get double that battery life even with usage. She usually will charge to full before bed, then take it off the charger and only sees a 5% drop when she wakes up 8hrs later.

04-01-11 01:16 AM
    Got an airave at home as well so signal is not an issue.
    04-01-11 09:43 AM
    I guess my battery life comparisons might not be the best since I close all apps when not in use and the only apps I have are Opera Mini and Facebook (set to update every 3hrs). If the phone is getting hot I would do a battery pull.

I did, and that seemed to help! I try to close all of my apps. I think pretty much all of them are closed, but sometimes I feel that some never truly close, if that makes any sense.
    04-02-11 12:11 AM
    Gotta say this saved my battery and sanity. I just got my BB Style Sat and couldn't get more the 5hrs of battery life. After doing this now I've only lost 10% battery life since 5:30am this morning. DEFINITELY a must do for ALL Style owners. Great fix.

06-06-11 11:54 AM
    My battery life has been pretty consistent lately... Today I used Sprint Navigation and I selected "exit application" when I arrived at my destination 5 minutes after opening the app... 2hrs later I looked at my phone and was shocked to see I was down to 35% with no other usage! The phone must've not shut down Sprint Navigation. I did a battery pull just in case and I made it the remaining 8hrs of work only dropping to 25%. Just a warning to others, if you ever use Sprint Nav, keep an eye on your phone to make sure it fully shuts down to avoid this.
    06-06-11 08:02 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD