(NOTE: This is NOT a reflection on Crackberry.com as they use an outside vendor.)

I guess I should know that when something looks too good to be true that it usually is. I was looking to see what a new Style was through Crackberry.com because I had upgraded my phones on the site before and it was usually a good price and no hassle. I was shocked when I saw that the upgrade price for a Style was only $29.99. Of course, I didn't believe it so I called the order line. The representative assured me that was the correct price as long as I had an upgrade was willing to extend my Sprint contract. (I did and I was.) I started the order process with him on the phone.

First, he tried to sell me Sprint Nav for $9.99 a month. I politely declined because it is included in my plan. Then, he tried to upsell me a "protection plan" for about $70. Again, I declined as I have the insurance through Sprint. Lastly, he tried to sell me a "Sprint Pro Pack" which was unlimited text, data, email, and BIS for $30 a month. Again, I explained to him that all of these features were already included in my plan. At that point, I asked if these offers were a prerequisite to get the phone at the advertised price. He assured me that they were not and the only reason they added on the pro pack was to ensure the new phone was on a plan where it could be used.

I continued with the order. As part of the confirmation process, he asked me for my Social Security number. WHAT??? He said that it was part of the verification process. I refused to give it and told him that, at best, he could confirm with my last four. The order continued and upon completion, he asked me a series of yes/no questions where I again stated that I wanted no changes to my plan other than the contract extension. And, again, he answered that there would be no changes.

He gave me my order number and told me to watch for a confirmation email. The email came while I was still on the phone with him and saw that I had ordered not only the Style but also the $30/month plan add-on. When I brought this to his attention, he told me that they do not bill for this that it comes through Sprint and that when they see that my plan doesn't need it for the phone, it is dropped.

A bit later, I checked my order status online and still saw it there. Now it was truly starting to concern me. I went to the online customer service chat for the company. It was that representative that told me the only way to get the phone for that price was to take the $30/month add-on. I asked him if he thought I was insane to save about $50 on a phone for the privilege of paying an extra $30/month for 2 years for the EXACT same service I have. He maintained that it was a requirement so I promptly canceled the order.

Moral of the story: I LOVE Crackberry.com but remember that when you're buying a phone on the site, it isn't Crackberry that you're buying it from. It is another company that may not have the scruples that Crackberry does. I'm saddened that Crackberry.com would allow these types of business practices to be associated with their name, but business is as business does.
    Last edited by BabsIDC; 11-10-10 at 01:29 PM.
    11-10-10 12:38 PM
    Crackberry.com has nothing to do with Sprint, or any carrier. Heck, they don't even have any influence over RIM.
    11-10-10 12:44 PM
    I know that. I was referring to when you click on Shop Crackberry to buy a device on the site.
    11-10-10 12:46 PM
    you should rephrase your heading, for a sec there i thought there was a problem with the phone. can u please change the heading. something like beware when buying a phone.
    11-10-10 01:09 PM
    You also could have gotten the phone, activated it and then called sprint and had them drop that off of your plan and it would have cost you nothing. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    11-10-10 01:23 PM
    Wow, didn't think I'd get that reaction from the forums when just trying to let people know that even though we all may like and trust Crackberry.com, we may not be dealing with them when we think we are. The trust placed in Crackberry.com has the potential to be undeservedly transferred onto others.

And, MissJennell, I called Sprint just to ensure the $30/mo hadn't been added onto my bill. They stated they have no such plan add-on with my plan so that if I had been charged, it wouldn't have been through them and they'd have no control over it.
    11-10-10 01:34 PM
    technically cheech was merely noting that your title seems to allude that the Style is the problem, not Sprint; and MissJennell was giving you advice as to how to fix the problem considering what info you gave, instead of just cancelling the order and complaining.

And if you seriously thought THAT was a reaction, I'll sic the trolls on you.
    Last edited by grahamf; 11-10-10 at 01:43 PM.
    11-10-10 01:40 PM
    Sounds like it may have been wirefly.com. Same price and deal. Was the call rep in India? I saw the Sprint Pro Pack when playing around with the options. I called and they told me the same thing - that they could remove it but I didn't go ahead with the order because my AT&T contract isn't up yet. Two members of my family are going to be upgrading and potentially grabbing a couple Berries so we'll see how it goes. They did tell me the same - that Sprint would be the one charging (and the checkout says charged by carrier). If Sprint doesn't have that package and doesn't charge you for it, then I doubt there'd be anything to worry about. Wirefly doesn't charge you any monthly fees, just the one time phone payment and then they collect a "finders fee" essentially from the carrier for getting you on a contract.
    Last edited by cmags; 11-11-10 at 12:13 PM.
    11-11-10 12:10 PM
    Well i like my phone! Case closed!
    11-12-10 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD